Ao Nang

Pia

Just got back from Ao Nang. Not a first time visitor, but I think I won't be going back real soon. Great pity as I loved the area, just can't believe you can't walk 10 metres without being harassed by different people. On the beach road area massage people, main street shop owners & restaurant staff.

Another question is there any Thai owners around the place? Any Thai owners in all these restaurants? Nick nack shops? Italian restaurants that serve Italian & Indian?

I get harassed enough by Indian / Nepalese tailors in different areas of Thailand, but this has taken it up quit a few notches.How do they get their work permits?Foreigners working retail shops?

The feeling I got was, spend your money & get out. Pity a great place gone.

Edited by Pia

Most shops and restaurants are owned by Thais, although many of them look native Indian. Some restaurants are foreign owned, i.e. by Europeans. Indeed touting has become a problem in Ao Nang and many tourists don't like. As a foreigner you can set up a limited company, open up a shop or restaurant and get your work permit, provided you also employ Thai staff.

It's not just ao nang I noticed loads of Indians and Nepalese in khoa lak and Phuket they are obviously paying t money somewhere to be able to do the jobs they do.

To me ao nang is more like Europe than Thailand now.

Ao Nang will always be a launching point for outer islands, I've never considered it a destination. Fly into Krabi, a night or two there, off to Railay, Koh Jum or Koh Ngai, something like that anyway.

I will agree though as this time walking to the beach in the evening I consciously walked on the MacDonalds/Starbucks side as to not have to walk through half a dozen Nepalese touts calling me mate or calling me the name of the beer on my shirt, geniuses.

OP I think you would have enjoyed Krabi Town more.

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoy Aonang.........yep the dudes trying to sell you a suit give ya the shits for sure.......the Thai guy flogging the drinks on the side of the road with his Ute full of skies is a laugh.......drank many a Chang there......will be back in August for another bash

I really enjoy Aonang.........yep the dudes trying to sell you a suit give ya the shits for sure.......the Thai guy flogging the drinks on the side of the road with his Ute full of skies is a laugh.......drank many a Chang there......will be back in August for another bash

And that guy has been there for eons....................he must do pretty good business.

Regarding the touts, I wonder how many of those guys have work permits?

And that guy has been there for eons....................he must do pretty good business.

Regarding the touts, I wonder how many of those guys have work permits?

The majority are Thai and do not need a WP ... there are plenty of Indo-Thai people in the country.

The majority are Thai and do not need a WP ... there are plenty of Indo-Thai people in the country.

"Indo" usually refers to Indonesia, are you saying the touts in Ao Nang are Indian-Thai?

Hmmmm...........o.k. maybe, but when I ask them they say they are from Nepal.

"Indo" usually refers to Indonesia, are you saying the touts in Ao Nang are Indian-Thai?

Hmmmm...........o.k. maybe, but when I ask them they say they are from Nepal.

I hate using Wiki as a source but .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European

But I can understand why you think that it means Indonesia(n). Claiming to be Nepalese is not uncommon (and possibly 100% true) but the term Indo-Thai would still apply. There is less stigmatization in Thailand against the Nepalese than Indians. The Thai term for "visitor" which is sometimes used insultingly would be used for both groups.