Infants At Restaurants

samtam

I dined at a good Italian restaurant last night, which cost THB2000 per head. At the next table there were a group of farangs, one of whom had brought their infant child, and whom they had to feed and walk around with to keep it from crying. It didn't happily, and was well behaved. I mentioned to one in our party that I thought it was inconsiderate to other diners to bring infants to an upscale restaurant. He didn't agree, but what do others think about it?

I've encountered this at another restaurant, when the child was in it's pram and was wailing. Again a farang couple.

I just don't think it's "on".

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100%.

At proper upscale restaurants a lot of time and effort go into the decor and creating the right ambience - screaming brats generally are not part of this. I would have asked to move table or asked for a discount....

JH

so youre saying that if people have small kids they cant go out with there baby?

Dude, really you should grow up yourselfs........

[/quote

You're telling people to grow up when you use "DUDE"..............lol

JH

[/quote

JH

Dude is OK. Imagine you booked business flight and some rock star has booked all his kids in business all around you. :bah: Yes, not good but, pay the money, take the chance. The RESTAURANT should KNOW kids are a pain and should sit families accordingly. :)

I avoid restaurants where I think that will happen, although it's never been an issue here yet like it often is back home. Pubs are always good for that. Parents gotta go out sometimes too, if I find it annoying I can easily avoid them. I would actually expect them more in upscale restaurants as foreign tourists can't just leave their kid in the hotel while they eat.

so youre saying that if people have small kids they cant go out with there baby?

Dude, really you should grow up yourselfs........

JH

"Dude" not withstanding, his point is valid.. It's nice that at least the OP's friend has some class and maturity not displayed by the OP and some others here. Strangely, I find myself again an ally of T/A and some others here, it's a privately owned restaurant that caters to the public. If you want to dine in private without interruption reserve the entire establishment and then your dinner experience is guaranteed :rolleyes: ..

Very few parents appear aware that other diners in the same restaurant are not enchanted by their children...

They should teach their brats some manners... or not bringing them at all in a restaurant! :annoyed:

This is true, and as a parent I find it very offensive and an imposition myself that they think their little darlings are so much more special then everyone else's and you should just love them in spite of how much they misbehave or impose or whether or not you even like children at all. But obviously based on what the OP posted these parents were not in that category.

I'm not as annoyed by seeing babies as I am about seeing some of the other types you see out and about in Bangkok.

yeah....I would prefer a dozen kids around me to the types some guys bring to an upper class Italian restaurant to impress.

At least my kids know how to use a spoon.

*lol* At one restaurant in Chiang Mai (though not particularly upscale) I remember a large puddle forming about a toddler in diapers who was walking about. The child was related to the owner and I think that the mother worked at the restaurant. The puddle remained to be tramped through by many oblivious customers. Gosh they did not even have one of those plastic signs that said: "warning wet floor -- slippery"

Perhaps a sign at the entrance: Children of all ages are welcome after cordectomy" would take care of the problem.

Frankly though I've been through this in America, and I agree, in an upscale restaurant you are paying in part for the ambiance--and a squalling child of any age should be removed (or cordectomized on the spot.

In a "family" restaurant like the great Korean bbq at the corner of Chiang Mai, I think they're fine.

I often take my 5 month old baby out with us when we go for dinner and am very aware of her behaviour. We try and time our meals to coincide with when she sleeps. That means we often eat between 6 and 9pm. This is not for the sake of other customers in the restaurant, but more for the fact that the wife and I can actually eat when she's asleep!

I used to be 'of of those' who turned their nose up at parents in restaurants and on planes who allow their kids free reign to run around and cause chaos. I still am. I sympathise with parents, who like myself, try and time their meals or entertain their little ones so that they and others' can enjoy their meal/flight, but sometimes, you can't predict what will happen. If our baby decides to wake up at 8pm instead of between 9 and 10 for her feed, she will cry. We will then get her feed ready ASAP, but sorry, she will cry. If your sat next to me, sorry, but I can't help this.

I will not stop going to 'nice' places or less 'nice' places. I will go where I want. I will continue to be aware of others' around me, but I like you, have the right to eat where I like, with my family.

Clearly someone without a family.

Hey...I'm not going to stop going to restaurants simply because you don't like children. I'll do my best to keep them quiet and not disturb other diners, but if I need to go out, my children come with me. Responsible babysitters, especially for infants, are impossible to find in Thailand.

I will remind you that you too were an infant once. They aren't going to kill you. They are part of the magical process called life. If you have a problem with them, the problem is yours.

Now, if you want to complain about a SPECIFIC child whose parents did nothing to try and calm the kid or remove him when he started acting up, I might listen to you. But to claim that it is inconsiderate to bring a child to a restaurant merely because you don't like them? No. In that case, the only person being inconsiderate is you.

I'll take my kids to MK or other noisy places. If I took my 3 year old to a nice restaurant (or any restaurant) she would walk around (or scream if I don't let her { I know. My fault } ) and she will probably talk to everyone and possibly sit with you and maybe pick at your food. The 2 year old will follow her lead.

Even if I didn't have very busy, lovin life and livin every minute, kids;

I want to relax with the wife when I go out to eat.

I don't want my kids or any else's kids there.

As long as the kids are well behaved what is the problem ? What has happened to us recently i find more annoying and bad mannered is when the falung group at the next table in begin smoking as we are eating and then glare and stare and pass comments that you request another table away from them. This has happened on a couple occaisons at beach /open air restaurants over the years and moving tables seemed to be the most peaceful method of avoiding conflict rather than direct confrontation with a group who are well on the way to being intoxicated.. The way i see it is open air restaurantand i will move away from them but this is interpreted as somehow aggressive towards them .

Give me the kids anyday in that situation..

Clearly all people should try to have consideration of others including parents with children as well as those who are childless. Parents should consider the need to bring an infant to a movie or any place where a quiet atmosphere is expected. However I find it more distasteful to see people get upset at children for being children or their parents especially when as stated in the OP the parents took care to prevent the child from being disruptive to others.

If you got to a restaurant and feel a need to be so focused on another party to the point of having a bad experience then I think the problem lies more with yourself. Of course there are times when we all (including babies) are not having a good day and let things get to us but the goal would be to strive to not let such minor and natural things ruin our enjoyment.

It should be noted though that a baby's crying is designed by nature to have an impact on us. Thankfully the instincts in general are to comfort the baby's cries as opposed to throttle the "brat" or we'd be a civilization of mutes.

I agree that children should not be brought to resturants. If you can afford to go out to eat. you can afford a babysitter. I imagine that some of the customers are parents themselves who have hired a babysitter so that they can have a quiet meal. It is inconsiderate and selfish IMO.

If you need to bring your kid along find a family friendly resturant where everyone understands that kids will be present. Our friends have a 3 year old who we all love, but he is a major PITA. When we go out togather we are prepared to entertain him and help out but it gets old fast.

2000 baht per head is upscale :lol:

A true upscale restaurant is on average upwards of 10,000 baht per head and such a true "fine dining" restaurant will provide adequate ambiance.

Advice: stop slumming it, spend real money or stop complaining :blink:

Edited by Kilgore Trout

A true upscale restaurant is on average upwards of 10,000 baht per head and such a true "fine dining" restaurant will provide adequate ambiance.

You stole my thunder.

Of course we (evil) parents do consider others. But in my book, 2000 baht per head is a family restuarant.

Complaining about this is a bit like going to Burger King and complaining they don't have silver service.

Edited by samran

Ridiculous, and you look ridiculous for posting it. 10,000 Baht on a restaurant in Thailand is an idiot's choice. If you have this kind of money to throw around, you must be impressing a lot of other similarly ridiculous people. I understand going to a nice restaurant here and spending a lot of cash, but saying that 2000 Baht is 'slumming it' makes you come across as a bit of an arse.:rolleyes:

On topic, I agree with a large number of people that it's a risk you take. You can't blame parents for bringing their child with them, and kudos to those particular parents for getting up and walking around with the child to keep him/her entertained and quiet. I was on a flight that had a screaming baby for quite a large part of the flight, and I just felt sorry for the parent/s. It must be hard looking after a child and whilst there are obviously some inconsiderate parents out there, this post doesn't seem to be about them.

This is always a hot and contentious issue, in any public scenario, but the discussions turn vitriolic when the topic involves air-travel.

In the case of a restaurant, where you might be easily put-off by infants or children, you might just mention this to the manager prior to being seated. That way they can locate you far from any potentially offensive (to you) individuals who are already there, and make sure any potentially offensive (to you) guests who arrive after you as seated far away as possible. Obviously in a busy restaurant the success rate might be low, but I think you should try this tactic. You might be embarrassed to do this but I think restaurant management are used to this and would rather deal with it proactively rather than have multiple unhappy parties.

Unless the establishment has rules prohibiting minors then I think it is reasonable that we should expect there may possibly be infants/children/minors in attendance, and that people who have a problem with this need to take action rather than deflecting the issue back on to parents, IMO.

The air travel scenarios are obviously challenging as the ability to move around is severely limited. I just look at air travel as a bus in the sky, its hardly the glamorous mode of travel it was in the 1950's, and parents with young children have to fly, and I don't hate kids, so try to make the best of it. Sometimes the parents are stressed, for obvious reasons, and the children, even infants, sense this and perhaps act out. In close quarters I make every attempt to help parents, with any little thing, in hopes of getting them to relax a bit, which can help to assuage their children, in my limited experience.