Yank Learning To Like Soccor

I want to learn to like football. I have watched the gane played many times, but I don't always understand some of the refs calls or the organzation of teams and the jobs of the players.

I also noticed that it seems to move somewhat slowly and not many goals occur. I guess that's why people get so excited when one does happen. My guess is that I don't see what football fans are seeing. So, what should I be looking for?

I have sat TV and get some games on the ESPN channels but I don't understand the organzation of the season or seasons. Could someone explain that to me please?

Thanks sports fans. :o

It's going to be difficult for you now to start to enjoy football. Most football fans have been brought up with football. As soon as kids are able to walk parents will through a ball at their sons feet, with aspirations of him becoming the next Ronaldho or Zidane.

Also when growing up, kids will play football at every opportinity, before, during and after school. This is also a important time in a kid's life as this is when you will choose which football team you will follow for the rest of your life. Most choices of team are either made by family or friends influences. Some kids might even choose the best team at the time and will stick by this team forever. (eg. some Man Utd and Liverpool fans)

So what I'm trying to say is that I doubt you can learn to like football. It's in your blood. I've tried to do the same thing with American football and baseball but I never enjoyed watching them.

So what I'm trying to say is that I doubt you can learn to like football. It's in your blood. I've tried to do the same thing with American football and baseball but I never enjoyed watching them.

I like watching football, but I'm not into soccer..... :o

Go and watch some games with your friends. if they are into football they can explain the rules and the jobs of the players etc...

Its not always about goals either. When you play the game you appreciate the good build up play, the intelligent runs players make, the moments of sublime skill that you would miss in a blink of an eye, the last ditch tackle which saves a goal or the low diving save from the goalkeeper in the dying seconds of the game, these moments dont always lead to a goal but they are great to see...

I hope you enjoy football as much as i do!

I also noticed that it seems to move somewhat slowly and not many goals occur. I guess that's why people get so excited when one does happen. My guess is that I don't see what football fans are seeing. So, what should I be looking for?

U should be looking for...

-: Cheating in general....

-: Players that would get killed in most other sports, getting payed alot of money..

-: Fans that devote their sporting lives to clubs that are owned by foreigners..

-: The World Cup which England never wins...

-: Players that get injured hailing a bus...

-: Fans that travel the world watching their teams and all they do is shout "off side"

the entire game....

-: Thaivisa soccer posters who cant think up their own thread ideas ( future post )..

-: Managers that are hero's of the day, and scum the next...

-: Every soccer TV fan could do a better job than the players, manager and club..

-: Endless soccer posts on Thaivisa

-: The team with the most buying power will win the Final every year...

-: Players that wont take a small salary cut for one match to save the club from

bankruptcy....

-: Most of the top teams in the English Prem League use imports....

Edited by Siam_superfly

Having influences from both sides of the pond growing up, I'd say I prefer footy football to American football (except maybe the raiders in the 80's) :o . But that's just a preference. Both have their merits.

The world cup makes any reg league or championship footy match pale in comparison and that's what you need to focus on maybe.

Having played 'soccer' as a kid (and any other sport that was in season like most) I never really got hooked on the 'beautiful game' untill that brilliant run by Cameroon in '86. They showed up without trainers/running shoes or gear/kit and almost went all the way. I was officially hooked!

Last world cup, Ahn (sp?) for Korea, coach Gus Hiddink and their entire team effort was outstanding. I missed meetings and apts just to watch them.

Next up Germany in 2006. So, if you can't get into Premier league etc, I'd suggest you follow the next world cup and if you do, I garauntee, you'll be hooked.

You may even want to follow the U.S.A. team. They surprised everyone, including Portugal, mexico and (almost) Germany last time out. Makings of a great team IF the 'farm' system (and the fans) gets behind the pros stateside.

PS, it's not like the "World Series" of Baseball (there's actually more than 2 countries represented)... :D:D

Find some friends that are passionate about it. Their enthusiasm and understanding of the game will start to rub off on you.

Failing that, I agree with a previous poster that the world cup next summer may be a good place to start. The sense of occasion and collection of the finest footballing talent the world has to offer is bound to give you some entertainment. Get behind one of the plucky underdogs (USA), and follow their progress, but make sure to watch plenty of the other sides as well, you will see a variety of different styles and tactical approaches to games.

As you watch more you'll find yourself appreciating the incidents of skill all over the pitch and not just the goalscoring events. For football fanatics, one goal can be an intense emotional experience because you know that it may be decisive.

Try going out and playing the game as well, even if it's just a kick around with several friends down the park. It's fun and it will help you appreciate the skills you witness on television.

Edited by Fast Eddie

Thanks everybody! :D

I had to post here as finding a football fan here in the states that understands the game, nil. Where I am at people never even play it for fun let alone watch it. So, thanks alot for the advice.

Also, I had heard of a video game calling Winning Eleven. It is said to be the best football game made and is very detailed in teams and seasons. I thought perhaps if I played that it might help me to learn about the sport. Has anyone every played this game before and what do you thnk of it?

Thanks again. :o

Its an awesome game...I havent been playing it for a while since i am dating a lovley lady right now but in the days of being single this was my virtual gf!

Its so real when you play it...of course you can adjust all the players skills but where is the fun in that...Can be kinda tricky to get used to the controls especially learning some of the more skilfull and tricky moves but once you have mastered it, its a satisfying feeling pulling off a double stepover, 1-2 first time through ball and then rounding the keeper to roll the ball into an empty net!

Enjoy!

USA ranked 7 in world! :D England ranked 11th!  :o

Wow, I had no idea that we even had a national Soccer team.... Let alone one in the top ten ranking..... :D

....And If they are doing that well with practically no US fan support , promotion, or sponsorship, just imagine what would happen if they were..... :D

I guess It's a good thing for you guys that America is not into Soccer!

:D

Go and watch some games with your friends. if they are into football they can explain the rules and the jobs of the players etc...

Its not always about goals either. When you play the game you appreciate the good build up play, the intelligent runs players make, the moments of sublime skill that you would miss in a blink of an eye, the last ditch tackle which saves a goal or the low diving save from the  goalkeeper in the dying seconds of the game, these moments dont always lead to a goal but they are great to see...

I hope you enjoy football as much as i do!

I have rented it and am having a blast! I have learned quite a lot about the game and am trying a full season w/o mangement. I will try that later.

Awsome game and I think I am begining to get a feel of what a football would be looking for when watching a game, based on what I need to do to win at the video game.

This is great! I think I am going to have to buy this game and figure out when ESPN shows football games.

Thanks everyone! :o

Thaibebop, glad to see one of friends across the pond interested in football. IMHO you can only get passionate it once you start to support a team. May i suggest you start by supporting Manchester City :D at least that way you won't get accused of "Jumping on the bandwagon". Once you start to follow how they are doing, you get to know players names and the interest grows from there.

To start you off in your new role as a Man City fan. Here is one of our chants.

City til I die

City til I die

I know i am

I'm sure i am

I'm city til i die

Come on you Blues :o

Wow, I had no idea that we even had a national Soccer team.... Let alone one in the top ten ranking..... :D

....And If they are doing that well with practically no US fan support , promotion, or sponsorship, just imagine what would happen if they were..... :D

Those rankings are rarely very accurate. The USA beat a bunch of no hope teams and get ranked in the top ten, despite the fact that England's reserve team beat them in their own backyard during the summer. The USA are maybe in the top twenty teams in the world (and that might be generous), but there is no way that they are anywhere near being the seventh best.

Edited by Fast Eddie

Those rankings are rarely very accurate. The USA beat a bunch of no hope teams and get ranked in the top ten, despite the fact that England's reserve team beat them in their own backyard during the summer. The USA are maybe in the top twenty teams in the world (and that might be generous), but there is no way that they are anywhere near being the seventh best.

FIFA's ranking system uses a regional weighting system amongst other criteria, so I don't think it's fair to say they have simply beat a bunch of no hope teams.

The way Eriksson has got England playing at the moment they could well beat England.

Thaibebop, glad to see one of friends across the pond interested in football. IMHO you can only get passionate it once you start to support a team. May i suggest you start by supporting Manchester City  :D at least that way you won't get accused of "Jumping on the bandwagon". Once you start to follow how they are doing, you get to know players names and the interest grows from there.

City til I die

City til I die

I know i am

I'm sure i am

I'm city til i die

Come on you Blues  :o

Still learning about teams. I will say that I really don't want to go for the American team. I think it wouldn't be very fun until they got better. So, right now I am just learning about other teams.

Any other suggestions out there? :D

Thaibebop - yank team is pretty good. Last world cup they thrashed Portugal, and Mexico and nearly beat Germany (bad ref calls IMHO) Central American Teams in their group arent exactly pushovers - pretty hard playing at their home matches when fans are as rabid as they are there. Yanks are a pretty good squad to support and any true fan of football supports their National team first. One of the passions of football and a nationalistic aspect that brings out the best in the game. :o

So long as you dont start supporting Chelsea as you will only be accused of being a glory hunter!! You could try following a favourite players team but if he were to change teams, you should not. Choose a team and stick with it.

Alternatively do some research on the internet about the histories of different teams and you may find a team which you warm to.

Lastly...choose a team based on the colours of their football kit!

Thaibebop - yank team is pretty good. Last world cup they thrashed Portugal, and Mexico and nearly beat Germany (bad ref calls IMHO) Central American Teams in their group arent exactly pushovers - pretty hard playing at their home matches when fans are as rabid as they are there. Yanks are a pretty good squad to support and any true fan of football supports their National team first. One of the passions of football and a nationalistic aspect that brings out the best in the game. :o

Really! I thought they weren't any good. I will have to look into that than. Thanks.

So long as you dont start supporting Chelsea as you will only be accused of being a glory hunter!! You could try following a favourite players team but if he were to change teams, you should not. Choose a team and stick with it.

Alternatively do some research on the internet about the histories of different teams and you may find a team which you warm to.

Lastly...choose a team based on the colours of their football kit!

That's a very good idea, thank you. What are some of your faves?

To start you off in your new role as a Man City fan.

Still learning about teams. I will say that I really don't want to go for the American team. I think it wouldn't be very fun until they got better. So, right now I am just learning about other teams.

Any other suggestions out there? :o

By the way Thaibebop, we (Man City) have an American international playing for us.

CLAUDIO REYNA

CLUB - MANCHESTER CITY

HEIGHT 1.75m

POSITION - MIDFIELDER

United States international. Reyna adds resilience, quality and experience to the midfield, while also able to play in defence. He is a pivotal figure for any side, has great vision and played a vital role in his country's historic run to the 2002 World Cup quarter-finals. His first taste of Premiership football came on Wearside, but he has top-level experience from spells with Rangers, Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen. One of the elite group of players to have received 100 international caps. http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?comm...&playerId=17007

post-19542-1128934998_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrbojangles

To start you off in your new role as a Man City fan.

Any other suggestions out there? :o

By the way Thaibebop, we (Man City) have an American international playing for us.

CLAUDIO REYNA

CLUB - MANCHESTER CITY

HEIGHT 1.75m

POSITION - MIDFIELDER

United States international. Reyna adds resilience, quality and experience to the midfield, while also able to play in defence. He is a pivotal figure for any side, has great vision and played a vital role in his country's historic run to the 2002 World Cup quarter-finals. His first taste of Premiership football came on Wearside, but he has top-level experience from spells with Rangers, Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen. One of the elite group of players to have received 100 international caps. http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?comm...&playerId=17007

Add what Mr Bojangles has said - alot of yank's national squad play in europe for club teams. (fair few in england I might add)

Thaibebop, glad to see one of friends across the pond interested in football. IMHO you can only get passionate it once you start to support a team. May i suggest you start by supporting Manchester City  :D at least that way you won't get accused of "Jumping on the bandwagon". Once you start to follow how they are doing, you get to know players names and the interest grows from there.

City til I die

City til I die

I know i am

I'm sure i am

I'm city til i die

Come on you Blues  :o

Any other suggestions out there? :D

Keep an eye on the African teams who have qualified for the World Cup also Scotland games are always good for a laugh.

If your looking for guidance on who will win what then PM siamsillyfly, he seems to know a thing or two about sporting predictions. :D