Finding People To Interview

lifemagic

Briefly, I need to record two 40 minute interviews for a UK psychology course I'm doing. I've got a couple of contacts but want some ideas for a back up plan. I was thinking ... Thai people go to language schools and pay to speak with native speakers, How would they feel if I just turned up? I don't mind paying, say, up to 500b each. Where might I try? The subject of the interview, btw, is about people's inner-life, specifically daydreaming possible futures. Nothing heavy. If needed, I'd be doing this in BK start/middle of June.

Thanks for any ideas.

I advise against just "showing up." You should select a few target schools and contact their management to share your proposal. As someone who has conducted a number of surveys of Thai people here (always by proxy), I can assure that you will get more complete, honest answers if you have a Thai person (like someone from the school's management) interview students on your behalf.

Do you want to only interview Thais? Do you speak Thai? Do you know anything about Thai culture and custom? If not you are likely to come across rude and offensive, especially as you've already considered just ambushing people? If you are just trying to gather in your placement hours I suggest you interview expats, lots of them willing to chat about unfulfilled dreams in Bangkok for the price of a coffee or beer.

Sorry, yes, my post wasn't very clear there.

I mean, I'm looking to interview Westeners i.e. native English speakers. So if I approached 'schools' I meant, language schools hoping to pay for an hour of the foreign teachers time.

So, if there are language schools where Thai people pay foreigners for one on one tuition by the hour, then it wouldn't be so different. I'd be paying them to talk to me. I was hoping for either an idea where to go, or perhaps the best way to hook up with expats/tefl teachers here who'd be willing. The advantage of going through a language school is that it would include reasonably quiet premises to record.

Sorry again not to be clear.

I mean, I'm looking to interview Westeners i.e. native English speakers. So if I approached 'schools' I meant, language schools hoping to pay for an hour of the foreign teachers time.

So, if there are language schools where Thai people pay foreigners for one on one tuition by the hour, then it wouldn't be so different. I'd be paying them to talk to me. I was hoping for either an idea where to go, or perhaps the best way to hook up with expats/tefl teachers here who'd be willing. The advantage of going through a language school is that it would include reasonably quiet premises to record.

pm me and can give you at least 6 western native English speaking tefl teachers here, that may want to help you out.

pm me and can give you at least 6 western native English speaking tefl teachers here, that may want to help you out.

Yes, many teachers would not turn down B 500 for a 40 minute chat. :D

Yes, many teachers would not turn down B 500 for a 40 minute chat. :D

Lets hope so. I'm just on the way to BK now. I'll need it sometime after June 3/4. To reiterate, the subject is daydreaming, i.e. the experience of it, and even more specifically, when, for example, someone's thinking of, traveling, for example, what is the difference between daydreams that are involved with actually planning something like a trip, with daydreams that are just escapist. That kind of thing. I'm looking for rich descriptions of daydreaming experience.

If anyone wants to be a backup for me or more details, me email is lifemagic at google's well known email service.