Torist Police In Thailand

I was on the market yesterday. I met a nice guy from the tourist police. I told him that it is good that you are here to protect us foreigners. He told me that the tourist police job was to protect Thai from foreigners. Does anyone know if this is correct:o:crazy:

Certainly true. Personally I am crazy and love nothing more than attacking any Thai I can get my hands on. If it weren't for the tourist police I would do it more often than I do. dam_n them spoil sports

Certainly true. Personally I am crazy and love nothing more than attacking any Thai I can get my hands on. If it weren't for the tourist police I would do it more often than I do. dam_n them spoil sports

Go out and drink some more and kick some Thai asses :huh:

The Tourist Police along with the Immigration Police are known as the most revenue making divisions in Thailand i.e. Corrupt Police in the Tourist Police make more money on the side than those in neighboring divisions....

They are there to protect themselves...

The guy telling you he is there to Protect Thai's from Foreigners sounds like he has a rather decent sense of humor and enjoyed watching you squirm a little at his answer.....

Tourist Police are window dressing, absolutely no power to do anything for anyone, Thai or ferang.

There are Tourist Police - A division of the Royal Thai Police Force: Thai's

There are the Tourist Police Volunteers - A volunteer division set up to assist the Tourist Police in tourist areas: Foreigners.

Which was the OP referring to ?

Tourist Police are window dressing, absolutely no power to do anything for anyone, Thai or ferang.

There are Tourist Police - A division of the Royal Thai Police Force: Thai's

There are the Tourist Police Volunteers - A volunteer division set up to assist the Tourist Police in tourist areas: Foreigners.

Which was the OP referring to ?

The Royal Thai Police force divison Tourist Police, And the Policeman was not joking, he was serious... They misson was to help Thai in trouble whit Farang.

Edited by EirikJohannesen

The Tourist Police along with the Immigration Police are known as the most revenue making divisions in Thailand i.e. Corrupt Police in the Tourist Police make more money on the side than those in neighboring divisions....

They are there to protect themselves...

The guy telling you he is there to Protect Thai's from Foreigners sounds like he has a rather decent sense of humor and enjoyed watching you squirm a little at his answer.....

He was dead serious. He said the division was started because of Thai who complained about foreigners. If you divorce from your wife, then they are there for helping her not you.

You obviously talked to someone who enjoyed pulling your leg. The Tourist Police officers (the ones in full uniform and carrying guns) are there to assist and protect and in force the laws and disputes between and among the Farangs and the Thais. They have a decent command of the English Language and often settle disputes between Thai, Thai businesses and Farang tourists and Expats.

Another Tourist Police group is the "Tourist Police Volunteers" They are all Thai by nationality, are often sent out by the Tourist police officers to bring in suspected Thai lawbreakers, that includes the touts, the street vendors, the lady-boys harassing the tourists, people suspected of selling or taking drugs. They are sent out by the Tourist Police Officers to patrol Beach Road on foot and as the bike patrol. They are deputized by the Tourist police and have limited arrest powers and in 5 years I don't remember them ever bringing in a Farang under arrest but seen many Thai's arrested by them. Because of their limited English if they find a Farang in distress, drunk, lost etc they bring them back to the van to get assistance from the FTPA.

The FTPA is the third division of the Tourist Police. They are all Farangs, all of whom speak English as first or second language, many of whom speak Thai and the Majority of whom speak a foreign language so they can assist the tourist or expat in understanding the Thai laws, customs, rules and regulations. Their job is "assistants" to both the Tourist Police and to the Foreign Tourists and Expats. The only time they have any enforcement power is if they have been ordered to do so by a Tourist Police officer or if they or another person are in danger. They often provide mediation between Thai's Thai business owners and the foreigners. You normally find them ready to assist you at the police van at the north entrance to walking street or patrolling in pairs down walking street. The Tourist Police officers can also call them out in the middle of the day or middle of the night to any area in Pattaya that they think a FTPA would be help full.

There are many Expats who have no respect for anyone remotely associated with the police or anyone who has any kind of authority in this country or in their own, they will be the ones who have negative posts in this forum but I can assure you there are more people who can give first hand reports of being assisted by the FTPA's than those who can give first hand negative reports.

I don't know the official purpose of the Tourist Police, but I know that I have called their hotline on more than one occasion, and they were very helpful when I had conflicts with Thais (and they sided with me, and made sure that I didn't lose any money).

The ones at the airport were very helpful to me when I arrived and my ATM card wouldn't work because the magnetic strip was damaged. One of the girls there lent me her laptop so I could log onto Skype (my mobile had gone flat) and get the girlfriend's number to arrange for her to meet me at the hotel with my other debit card, then took me to the taxi counter to explain that I had no money and the gf would pay at the other end. And, sensing how hot and bothered I was by my predicament, gave me a bottle of drinking water and invited my to sit while they hunted round for a phone charger (I leave that stuff at home and use the gf's).. Maybe not the best crime fighters, but they gave me a good impression of their soft policing.

You obviously talked to someone who enjoyed pulling your leg. The Tourist Police officers (the ones in full uniform and carrying guns) are there to assist and protect and in force the laws and disputes between and among the Farangs and the Thais. They have a decent command of the English Language and often settle disputes between Thai, Thai businesses and Farang tourists and Expats.

Another Tourist Police group is the "Tourist Police Volunteers" They are all Thai by nationality, are often sent out by the Tourist police officers to bring in suspected Thai lawbreakers, that includes the touts, the street vendors, the lady-boys harassing the tourists, people suspected of selling or taking drugs. They are sent out by the Tourist Police Officers to patrol Beach Road on foot and as the bike patrol. They are deputized by the Tourist police and have limited arrest powers and in 5 years I don't remember them ever bringing in a Farang under arrest but seen many Thai's arrested by them. Because of their limited English if they find a Farang in distress, drunk, lost etc they bring them back to the van to get assistance from the FTPA.

The FTPA is the third division of the Tourist Police. They are all Farangs, all of whom speak English as first or second language, many of whom speak Thai and the Majority of whom speak a foreign language so they can assist the tourist or expat in understanding the Thai laws, customs, rules and regulations. Their job is "assistants" to both the Tourist Police and to the Foreign Tourists and Expats. The only time they have any enforcement power is if they have been ordered to do so by a Tourist Police officer or if they or another person are in danger. They often provide mediation between Thai's Thai business owners and the foreigners. You normally find them ready to assist you at the police van at the north entrance to walking street or patrolling in pairs down walking street. The Tourist Police officers can also call them out in the middle of the day or middle of the night to any area in Pattaya that they think a FTPA would be help full.

There are many Expats who have no respect for anyone remotely associated with the police or anyone who has any kind of authority in this country or in their own, they will be the ones who have negative posts in this forum but I can assure you there are more people who can give first hand reports of being assisted by the FTPA's than those who can give first hand negative reports.

To the original OP - yes, Thais understand western humour. He was having a joke at your expense :lol:

I have dealt with tourist police on a professional and a friendly basis for 11 years. They are here to help foreigners. Even the sad, offensive drunken buugers that you would not put up with in your own country.

They have a thankless job and are quite often nice people, underpaid and not liked by the real police nor the foreigners that they are trying to help. Yes, there are bad eggs in every basket. Don't blame the many because of a few.

The ones at the airport were very helpful to me when I arrived and my ATM card wouldn't work because the magnetic strip was damaged. One of the girls there lent me her laptop so I could log onto Skype (my mobile had gone flat) and get the girlfriend's number to arrange for her to meet me at the hotel with my other debit card, then took me to the taxi counter to explain that I had no money and the gf would pay at the other end. And, sensing how hot and bothered I was by my predicament, gave me a bottle of drinking water and invited my to sit while they hunted round for a phone charger (I leave that stuff at home and use the gf's).. Maybe not the best crime fighters, but they gave me a good impression of their soft policing.

Thats a nice post...makes such a difference to hear something positive.....they didnt ask for 500Baht afterwards did they???:D

Thats a nice post...makes such a difference to hear something positive.....they didnt ask for 500Baht afterwards did they???:D

No, but then they knew I had zero Thai money on me.. :)

They didn't come across as police at all. More like a customer service organisation.

I was very lucky.. Card was dead, phone was dead and had no internet and no way of paying for it. Went for a wander having no idea how I was to get into town from the airport when I saw their office and thought I'd bite the bullet. Luckily I had given the gf a debit card on the last trip that I could borrow back.

Attacking Thai for fun? If so, try one to one with a Thai empty handed, you sure ending up crying like a baby!!

Edited by sunnyhor

Attacking Thai for fun? If so, try one to one with a Thai empty handed, you sure ending up crying like a baby!!

Sigh.

There is division in Tourist Police,at least there is one in Bangkok which deals with ....yes.....with farang-criminals.

My friend is sort of robber and once he had bad luck with his business,they handled him...he had very bad memories from that incident;

I mean - he did not like it very much.To say more - his business was to rob other farangs,not Thais.

There is division in Tourist Police,at least there is one in Bangkok which deals with ....yes.....with farang-criminals.

My friend is sort of robber and once he had bad luck with his business,they handled him...he had very bad memories from that incident;

I mean - he did not like it very much.To say more - his business was to rob other farangs,not Thais.

Another happy story. Who say's they do no good?

I was victim of a scam, both the normal police and "farang" volounteer try to convince me that the scammer was right and i was wrong, you can find many other similar and worse experiences being reported here in the forum.

I also had the misfortune to know one personally that runned away stealing from many of his fellow countrymen a substantial amount of cash, before doing this, he carefully described the way they were used by the local police in many of his missions......

Avoid them, whatever it costs, if you really need external help, get in touch with somebody in your country or your local embassy.

I was victim of a scam, both the normal police and "farang" volounteer try to convince me that the scammer was right and i was wrong, you can find many other similar and worse experiences being reported here in the forum.

I also had the misfortune to know one personally that runned away stealing from many of his fellow countrymen a substantial amount of cash, before doing this, he carefully described the way they were used by the local police in many of his missions......

Avoid them, whatever it costs, if you really need external help, get in touch with somebody in your country or your local embassy.

OK, so what happened?

OK, so what happened?

I already reported the facts in details at the time it did happen.

Basically i took a "BahtBus" in Pattaya, already full of people which kept stopping a million time to take more people on, i think i did ask the driver if he was going toward a particular area and he say "yes".

He then tried to charge me as i had hired the whole bus as a private taxi, despite still having people on it and all the rest when i got off, we almost had a fight.

Went to many different police stations, then when explained the situation to the officer and the western helper, or whatever he was, they tried to make me believe that the driver was right and that was the law, they say that WHATEVER word you tell the driver (so even an "hello" could do), that entitles him to charge you 10 or 20 times the normal fare.

And what about the bus still stopping by and still having people on it? The police and the western collaborators they have there, are just helping those criminals, that's all.

Did anybody read that history about those 3 irish tourists being threatened with a machete and when the police show up they hugh those criminals on front of them and then start abusing the tourists? they had a much worse experience than mine and the forum it's full of these kind of stories (guess why?), obviously someone here got some side interest in covering them up, the faulty ones are always the victims off corse, isn'it? :D

OK, so what happened?

I already reported the facts in details at the time it did happen.

Basically i took a "BahtBus" in Pattaya, already full of people which kept stopping a million time to take more people on, i think i did ask the driver if he was going toward a particular area and he say "yes".

He then tried to charge me as i had hired the whole bus as a private taxi, despite still having people on it and all the rest when i got off, we almost had a fight.

Went to many different police stations, then when explained the situation to the officer and the western helper, or whatever he was, they tried to make me believe that the driver was right and that was the law, they say that WHATEVER word you tell the driver (so even an "hello" could do), that entitles him to charge you 10 or 20 times the normal fare.

And what about the bus still stopping by and still having people on it? The police and the western collaborators they have there, are just helping those criminals, that's all.

Did anybody read that history about those 3 irish tourists being threatened with a machete and when the police show up they hugh those criminals on front of them and then start abusing the tourists? they had a much worse experience than mine and the forum it's full of these kind of stories (guess why?), obviously someone here got some side interest in covering them up, the faulty ones are always the victims off corse, isn'it? :D

humm......... i see......

I try not to use their services.

it's unfair.

He said, I said, really difficult to prove that kind of thing. Did he charge you or tried to charge you?

You went to many different police stations because of this?

I'm sorry, but sounds to me like nothing much happened.

He said, I said, really difficult to prove that kind of thing. Did he charge you or tried to charge you?

You went to many different police stations because of this?

I'm sorry, but sounds to me like nothing much happened.

Oh dear, look, the driver eventually turned up as i took pictures and numberplate and he's been traked down! now what? do you want to say it was another person?

I am sorry but there are no excuses for this, a scam it's still a scam to me, if there are police, volounteers or whoever else protecting them or taking part on it does NOT make it any better.

To me, if there is so much corruption around, looks like ALOT happened and it's still happening, i am sorry that you can not see that