Duck Farm

Can anyone tell me if there are any large duck farms in Chiang Mai area, or suppliers of ducklings?

For the last 3 years I used to keep a small flock of about 10 ducks for eggs. However, after a night raid by some street dogs I now only have 2 left!

I have looked around my area, but people only seem to keep Muscovy ducks (for meat) and a few rice farmers have small flocks, but were not willing to sell me any (only eggs). I am looking for the white peeking ducks. Any help would be appreciated as I miss my ducks a lot!

Jason

Why do you want Pekins if you want to keep them for egg production? If you want purely egg production, then Campbells are they way to go but they also eat a lot. Muscovys are probably the best all purpose breed you can get and ideal for egg production, brooding and eating when your flock gets too large - all in one duck. Moscovys are also a leaner bird compared to other breeds. I was looking for Pekins years ago as an ideal eating bird, but had problems trying to locate them (have found them now locally). The MIL has Pekins and we keep Muscovies. If you are trying to source ducks, tell the locals you want them for dinner that night - some of them can be a bit funny if they know you want to keep them to breed with etc. If they won't sell you any, its likely they are short in supply which is the case with us now as we sold off about 20 birds and now replenishing. If thats the case, just go to the next moobaan and the next etc and you'll find someone. We are in Issan so can't help you sourcing the Pekins. Just make sure you are paying live weight and not farang prices per duck. If its just a case that you like the look of Pekins over other ducks - then fair enough.

I have looked around my area, but people only seem to keep Muscovy ducks (for meat) and a few rice farmers have small flocks, but were not willing to sell me any (only eggs). I am looking for the white peeking ducks. Any help would be appreciated as I miss my ducks a lot!

Are the eggs that the locals have fertile?Do you have any chickens ? If the answers is yes and yes then you could buy the Pekin eggs and put them under a brooding chicken,it will take more time to get the layers you want for your eggs but on the plus side you get to see them grow and that also gives enjoyment.

Good luck.

post-126208-0-31567700-1306434491_thumb.

post-126208-0-36067600-1306434500_thumb.

Check with your local feed and produce outlets,one of them in each locality usually carries or has access to ducklings etc.

We have 100 Pekins arriving on the 7th ,they come from a Bangkok hatchery through one of our local feed merchants.Price is 40 baht each.

• 1 month later...

Check with your local feed and produce outlets,one of them in each locality usually carries or has access to ducklings etc.

We have 100 Pekins arriving on the 7th ,they come from a Bangkok hatchery through one of our local feed merchants.Price is 40 baht each.

40 bath each

seems a good price

how old are they?

do you have a name or telephone number from the Bangkok hatchery? perhaps a number on the transport boxes ????

thanks for the help

40 bath each

seems a good price

how old are they?

do you have a name or telephone number from the Bangkok hatchery? perhaps a number on the transport boxes ????

thanks for the help

Our order was stuffed up so they are actually arriving tomorrow , I will check the packaging for a clue , getting info out of a thai is like getting pearls out of mouses ears.

Our Pekins lay at between 60&70 % ,whereas our muscovy,s lay about 20 eggs and go broody, (our Chinese geese lay about 10 eggs before going broody).