Rugby World Cup?

i think the frogs played their final last week against England,

so pleasing to see Wales come through and win so well last weekend, so Im going for Wales by 7

obviously Im backing Black, pressure cooker stuff, everything will be thrown in for this game, it was supposed to be the grand final show down but Ireland changed that.

Who knows whos gonna win, look at last week, the Boks had possession, territory, lineouts and scrumming all in their favour and they lost....go figure. ABs by 3

It's called talent bruv

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so pleasing to see Wales come through and win so well last weekend, so Im going for Wales by 7

obviously Im backing Black, pressure cooker stuff, everything will be thrown in for this game, it was supposed to be the grand final show down but Ireland changed that.

Who knows whos gonna win, look at last week, the Boks had possession, territory, lineouts and scrumming all in their favour and they lost....go figure. ABs by 3

It's called talent bruv

let the other team work hard, but you win. Brains, not beef.

Out of interest, does anyone have any constructive comments on Warburton's red card? At first, I thought it was a little harsh, but it appeared that he dropped on his victim unnecessarily heavily and without due care for his safety after tipping him into the ground. I couldn't see clearly if he landed with his knee or his arm on the other player's head, but I could understand that either might justify a red card rather than a yellow.

SC

Out of interest, does anyone have any constructive comments on Warburton's red card? At first, I thought it was a little harsh, but it appeared that he dropped on his victim unnecessarily heavily and without due care for his safety after tipping him into the ground. I couldn't see clearly if he landed with his knee or his arm on the other player's head, but I could understand that either might justify a red card rather than a yellow.

SC

I cannot understand all the hype, one English commentator called it 'almost cheating', absolutely outrageous and has driven me to seriously make comment to ITV.

Every player watching has based the defence on certain criteria, 'Warburton is not a malicious player', 'Should have been yellow carded and if serious enough, cited after the game', 'It has ruined a great spectacle'.

Lets get something clear, it doesn't matter if he is not normally malicious, decisions are based on each and every incident, if it is a red at the time it is a red and should not be cleared up after a game by a citing committee. It doesn't matter if it ruins your enjoyment, serious foul play is serious foul play and should be treated as such, I have never heard such nonsense from so many people, because it ruined their spectacle!!

He put a very good hit on Clerc, and turned his body over, according to the rules of the game, if you upend a player it is your responsibility to put him down safely to the floor, I accept he wasn't spear tackled, however he released Clerc mid air, former players are defending this by saying he wasn't being malicious, but if he kept hold of him and put him down hard on his back, the tackle would have been fine.

Clerc landed on the back of his head and top of his shoulders, with no support from Warburton, followed it up with the flat of his hand accross Clerc's face, a further attempt at intimidation.

Lets get something very clear also, Roland is a rated top ref with Heineken cup finals behind him, top internationals and the last world cup itself, and people shouting the decision outrageous, including one Englishman calling him a cheat.

It is all sentimentality, hyperbole hogwash, it was dangerous play, right in front of a top referee, take the maudling sentimentality out of the equation, it was a straight red for a high class player who made too big a hit on a smaller player and couldn't retrieve the situation.

Stuff the equation and time of play, the laws are laws and should not be administered on the occasion or because the bloke is not normally malicious.

the missed attempts of goal by Wales would have saw them through, we've been on the end of some controversial decisions that put us out, thats sport move on

massive massive game ahead today, all of NZ will up awake tonight (9PM) for the kick off. Too bad its not the final, as it should be a spectacle of 2 heavyweights of rugby union, going toe to toe.

theres no secret on how this will be played out, whoever wins the forward battle will surely win the game

yep, kick off at 3PM Thai time-

nice to see you aussies comment finally, did we wake you from your slumber now that you have made the semis?

didnt hear a peep after the Irish game a few weeks ago B)

post-15912-0-00677900-1318709392_thumb.j

Lets hope the Kiwis can pull it off tonight. If it turns out to be a France vs Aus final the Kiwis may revert to a savage race.

Not as savage as if France beat them in the Final. People talk about France never managing more than one good game in each World Cup; its still to come this time round...

While it would not be right to laugh at the misfortune of others, it might prove difficult to avoid the temptation.

Though I suppose on the strength of today's game, there was nothing to suggest that was a credible scenario.

SC

the french played their good game against england, they are toast against the winners of tonights semi

we've been on the end of some controversial decisions that put us out,

The point you are emphasizing is the barnes missed forward pass, what was controversial regarding warburton and foul play, but because wales were the favoured team and france are not, controversial.

the french played their good game against england, they are toast against the winners of tonights semi

A Welsh/Irish final against the AB's would have been a great game, a French/ABs game will be either a classic or a walk in the Eden park, which Gallic mentality turns up will be the key.

SC

I cannot understand all the hype, one English commentator called it 'almost cheating', absolutely outrageous and has driven me to seriously make comment to ITV.

Every player watching has based the defence on certain criteria, 'Warburton is not a malicious player', 'Should have been yellow carded and if serious enough, cited after the game', 'It has ruined a great spectacle'.

Lets get something clear, it doesn't matter if he is not normally malicious, decisions are based on each and every incident, if it is a red at the time it is a red and should not be cleared up after a game by a citing committee. It doesn't matter if it ruins your enjoyment, serious foul play is serious foul play and should be treated as such, I have never heard such nonsense from so many people, because it ruined their spectacle!!

He put a very good hit on Clerc, and turned his body over, according to the rules of the game, if you upend a player it is your responsibility to put him down safely to the floor, I accept he wasn't spear tackled, however he released Clerc mid air, former players are defending this by saying he wasn't being malicious, but if he kept hold of him and put him down hard on his back, the tackle would have been fine.

Clerc landed on the back of his head and top of his shoulders, with no support from Warburton, followed it up with the flat of his hand accross Clerc's face, a further attempt at intimidation.

Lets get something very clear also, Roland is a rated top ref with Heineken cup finals behind him, top internationals and the last world cup itself, and people shouting the decision outrageous, including one Englishman calling him a cheat.

It is all sentimentality, hyperbole hogwash, it was dangerous play, right in front of a top referee, take the maudling sentimentality out of the equation, it was a straight red for a high class player who made too big a hit on a smaller player and couldn't retrieve the situation.

Stuff the equation and time of play, the laws are laws and should not be administered on the occasion or because the bloke is not normally malicious.

Excellent post. If he hadn't dropped him then a yellow might have been issued. Dangerous play like that will always win you a red. Sad really because with 15 on the field we may have seen Wales stroll to the final.

Mind you as ScC has intimated the French have yet to play their best rugby...let's see how they fare against the All Blacks....

we've been on the end of some controversial decisions that put us out,

The point you are emphasizing is the barnes missed forward pass, what was controversial regarding warburton and foul play, but because wales were the favoured team and france are not, controversial.

quite right, even if France manage to win the final next week, how would they live up to it , after been beaten by NZ and Tonga in pool play.

gutted behond words the sending off was a right decision athough he still had the ball in his hands when he hit the ground,was he injured? he soon got up after the sending off,but we should have won even if we had 13players it was there for the taking and we didnt do it,someone mentioned cheating did you see the french player go down in the last 5min.with not a welsh player near him thats cheating and the ref.knew it.oh well lets look forward to nz.vs.oz.got to clear up all the empty cans except for the tears in them.taffy :angry:

SC

Thanks; very clearly explained.

I was just a little surprised that it was a red card and not a yellow, and I wondered if the hand on the face was the difference; that seemed somewhat gratuitous.

If I recall correctly He (I think it was Warburton also in the previous case) was lucky not to be carded in the Ireland game for a similar tackle; fortunately a second player came in to support the tackled player's upper body and see him safely to ground.

SC

Smokie 36: "Mind you as ScC has intimated the French have yet to play their best rugby...let's see how they fare against the All Blacks.... "

When they going to play the All Blacks, next year maybe? Sure as shit not next week. Skippy is going roo kick em up the smokie laugh.gif

Smokie 36: "Mind you as ScC has intimated the French have yet to play their best rugby...let's see how they fare against the All Blacks.... "

When they going to play the All Blacks, next year maybe? Sure as shit not next week. Skippy is going roo kick em up the smokie laugh.gif

Its a shame they can't both lose...

I hope Quade Cooper has a good game before he switches to League; I wonder has anyone ever held world-cup medals in both codes?

SC

Matt Rogers

&

Wendell Sailor

in recent history both played Intl test matches for Union & League.

I believe Sailor was a world-cup winner in 2000, but lost out in the final to England in 2003.

Although Matt Rogers was in the cup-winning side of 2000, after his switch I think he did not play in the World Cup of 2003.

I think Sonny Bill Williams did not play in the 2008 world cup.

SC

SC, I am really not sure.

My purpose in life today is to remind the Kiwis, that they really are just Australia's most Eastern state rolleyes.gif

I was going to say that your insensitive and inciteful jibes are almost enough to make me drink guinness for the game, but then I remembered I am going to a German bar to watch it...

I'm hoping for a good game - it could scarcely be as bad as yesterday's; I would enjoy the - irony? incongruity? of France beating New Zealand again, this time in the Final at home, but that is not so likely that I would place a bet on it. I hope Quade Cooper has a good game; I'm sorry Kurtley Beale won't be there - they are both most entertaining players when they are on form.

SC

biggrin.gif I knew one of you would take the bait.....I'll be back here at the final whistle.....you won't be!

Great start from the ABs

What a contrast to last nights game

ABs having the upper hand at the breakdown and not playing the one dimensional game they played against the Argies, with kicks going in behind, turning the Aussies and keeping them pinned in their half

Cruden playing well and Dagg being outstanding

biggrin.gif I knew one of you would take the bait.....I'll be back here at the final whistle.....you won't be!

laugh.gif

Well lets hopt the French watched todays game. If they learned one thing from the Wallys it must be 'no kicking' in the Final........ France have only a slender chance of winning and that depends on their ability to run with ball in hand.

It's called talent bruv

let the other team work hard, but you win. Brains, not beef.

looks like your theory went out the window tonight leo biggrin.gif

looks like we smashed you guys off the park tonight

thought we played a complete game tonight to be honest, dominated at scrum, competed well at the breakdown and took the right options

huge tackles going in both ways as evident by the amount of blood spilt

never mind eh skippy biggrin.gif