Rugby World Cup?

^ no, never met anyone by that name; but guessing a Kretchmar/Kretchmer? families central Taranaki/Stratford area, a lot of mixed/European descended families there (including mine - 4 grandparents from 3 continents + NZ); on that basis I suppose I should support USA this afternoon. For computer-watchers it should be showing here at 2.30pm, right now there are highlights of Samoa v Namibia.

Intersting article here on rugby in Russia: Russia relish cold 'War on Floor' II

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ blocked somehow - worked fine for me watched the Russia v USA match. Right now channels 1-4 showing (all from UK) cricket, football, sports news, football.

Here's a clever website lets you select nation, pool, city etc to follow the RWC

I enjoyed the Russia-USA match, difficult conditions - and stupid me forgot it was night-time there so no chance of a mountain view - towards the end hoped for a Russian try/conversion a 13-13 draw would have been a fair result I thought.

^ I think the betting agencies may have done well so far with people backing winners by big margins and so many of the matches a lot closer then expected; don't know how many would have picked Canada over Tonga, and a lot to come that I wouldn't like to have to choose.

Tomorrow it's Japan v NZ at 3.00pm our time (8pm NZ), think that is one you could safely pick NZ 10+, likely to be raining and a 'heavy track', slow things a bit.

Hamilton forecast: Showers, some heavy. Gusty westerlies. Min 8 Max 16C

^^ blocked somehow - worked fine for me watched the Russia v USA match. Right now channels 1-4 showing (all from UK) cricket, football, sports news, football.

Here's a clever website lets you select nation, pool, city etc to follow the RWC

I enjoyed the Russia-USA match, difficult conditions - and stupid me forgot it was night-time there so no chance of a mountain view - towards the end hoped for a Russian try/conversion a 13-13 draw would have been a fair result I thought.

^ I think the betting agencies may have done well so far with people backing winners by big margins and so many of the matches a lot closer then expected; don't know how many would have picked Canada over Tonga, and a lot to come that I wouldn't like to have to choose.

Tomorrow it's Japan v NZ at 3.00pm our time (8pm NZ), think that is one you could safely pick NZ 10+, likely to be raining and a 'heavy track', slow things a bit.

Hamilton forecast: Showers, some heavy. Gusty westerlies. Min 8 Max 16C

Possibly the most enjoyable game of rugby I ever watched was NZ v Japan at the HK Sevens... I forget which year.

When Japan went two tries ahead, the bars started draining as people rushed back up to the stands; I've never heard such cheering for a pool match!

Japan were still leading when the final hooter went, but NZ scored to win the game in the last play.

SC

Japan played well against France last week, the kiwi first five, a classy player

Quite a few rested players this week, out with minor injuries, Henry has hinted he may have players out of position, I dont know where he's going with that, suppose he's tinkering with the test team before selecting the final team for the knock out phases

I would have thought he would have learnt from last time not to rotate the players too much as we need to have the final combinations in the groove

Mind you Kahui played very well on the wing last week and SBW looked to come into some form, and The coach put them in when most of the NZ punters incl me wouldn't have

Hard to read into tonights game against Japan, ball security was good and plenty of tries scored for the punters All Blacks weren't really tested really so not much to comment about, which begs the question, is this really the best 20 rugby teams in the world, and when wll we see the top 20 come close to beating the top 3 or 4 in the world?

I guess it will come one day but not without the sides like Japan being bolstered with expat players living in Japan, so there is always a positive with all theses offshore players

Japan had 10 changes from the side that pushed France so hard, this match one they chose to 'throw' - for the greater good? and focus a potential win v Tonga or Canada.

as you say, can't judge AB performances on such a one-sided affair.

Tomorrow, Saturday 17th

10.30am Argentina v Romania Invercargill

1.00pm South Africa v Fiji Wellington

3.30pm Australia v Ireland Auckland

once again, for people relying on broadband computer access, just saw the end of Arg v Rom here (select channel 2), right now it has preview for 1pm SA v Fiji . . . feed from Setanta ASS3

and today's trivia - Kieran Crowley played in 2 RWCs for NZ 1987-91, 2003 was a NZ selector in a third RWC, and now coaches Canada for his fourth. His asst coach Neil Barnes is another ex-Taranaki man; a lifetime of rugby for KC he played 200 matches for his province, and 19 test caps for NZ.

more (if you want to!)

Edited by Atmos

loving it; have friends there, Irish supporters, they'll be going wild.

This could change a lot in terms of who plays who at semis

6 to go and 15-6 . . .

EDIT woohoo . . . what a win for Ireland

Australia 6 - Ireland 15

Edited by Atmos

Ireland shock lifeless Wallabies

Ireland scored the first major upset of RWC 2011 after stunning Australia 15-6 at Eden Park in Auckland on Saturday.

There is no hiding the fact that the Wallabies came off second best to the Irish as their key players were superbly contained by a side who in Brian O'Driscoll's words 'dug deep into the well'.

For Australia: Pen: O'Connor 2

For Ireland: Pen: Sexton 2, O'Gara 2 Drop: Sexton

RWC Sunday 18 Sept

10.30am Wales v Samoa

1.00pm England v Georgia

3.30pm France v Canada

Edited by Atmos

Well done Ireland. They are an up and coming force in world rugby for sure.

To be sure to be sure! ;)

No they're not. They are a Tier One nation and always have been.

Twice in previous world cups, Australia have scraped through against them by a single point.

SC

Hmmm....

They have beaten the Wallabies and the Boks in recent years, have a Grand Slam under their belt, several Triple Crowns, a European Player of the Year in the SOB, 4 Heineken Cup Victories and a Munster Victory over the All Blacks ( OK that was 1978 )

No up and coming team here, with the greatest Captains in the modern era, BOD or the Big Felloah, the finest back row in the game, the kicking strategy of ROG or the running game Sexton..........

I can see victory over the Welsh in the quarters, France/England in the Semis and a final against the esteemed All Blacks, as we all know, anything can happen in a final.

^ history and trophies have not counted for much in previous RWCs (just ask NZ, or on second thoughts - don't bring it up!).

Munster 1978 . . . can't forget that one can we!!! Historic moments. A bit like that great Wales win (1953).

I had friends at the match last night - suspect they have no voices and sore heads today, what a party.

Playing v Wales in the quarters - have to wait till after the Wales-Samoa match today, and possible the SA-Samoa match too before that's settled.

As happened with New Zealand supporters four years ago . . . the people from SA and Australia who have bought tickets/accomm/flights etc to support their team at the top-end of the tournament - semis and final - will be worried, as now likely SA will face Oz in the quarter-final and the losing team will be off home before some of their supporters even arrive.

My brother and his son arrive from UK next Saturday - and go to France-NZ that evening, in the ticket ballot they got tickets to the semifinal 1 that was expected to be Oz v England or France, now, who knows?

And of course, France may win v NZ next weekend. I've read suggestions they'll effectively 'throw' that match and name a B side, focus on the quarters, but cannot see that happening. Anyone?

I guess some of us here weren't expecting an Irish win

When the Wobblies were coming off a tri nations win

Hmmm....

They have beaten the Wallabies and the Boks in recent years, have a Grand Slam under their belt, several Triple Crowns, a European Player of the Year in the SOB, 4 Heineken Cup Victories and a Munster Victory over the All Blacks ( OK that was 1978 )

No up and coming team here, with the greatest Captains in the modern era, BOD or the Big Felloah, the finest back row in the game, the kicking strategy of ROG or the running game Sexton..........

I can see victory over the Welsh in the quarters, France/England in the Semis and a final against the esteemed All Blacks, as we all know, anything can happen in a final.

Wonder if Samoa is a tier one nation? :D

nope . . . that's why they get to play matches four days apart, just here to make up the numbers apparently, along with Canada, and so on.

been a good match so far, Wales have handled it well i thought, though their habit of just lying on the mauls . . . what's that all about (dive in and take a breather) ? Hope with Samoa but think Wales may be too good last 20. (but I am so often wrong)

Wonder if Samoa is a tier one nation? :D

nope . . . that's why they get to play matches four days apart, just here to make up the numbers apparently, along with Canada, and so on.

been a good match so far, Wales have handled it well i thought, though their habit of just lying on the mauls . . . what's that all about (dive in and take a breather) ? Hope with Samoa but think Wales may be too good last 20. (but I am so often wrong)

I don't understand why they don't run a Plate competition for the teams that don't qualify for the quarter-finals; that would give them more international match experience against their peers; it doesn't seem right that a team should qualify for the World Cup over and over again, yet never win a match there. Mid-week games after the group games would give the travelling support something to do...

SC

Samoa, Georgia and Canada all played on Wednesday, all playing again with just 3 clear days between matches; as did Namibia with games v Fiji and Samoa 10th and 14th; their Tier 1 opponents have all had 7 or 8 days break since playing.

England spent their time adventure sports, bungee jumping, shagging about in bars . . . then struggled today v Georgia, patches of class (6 tries to 1) but had only 43% territory and 50% possession - hard to win with that against a better team.

Agree re a plate comp; saw the interview with the Georgia captain after the match and he said what they needed were more games, would be great to see a mini-tournament take place.

Hmmm....

i wonder if any of your backs will get released though and actually score a try on the way to the final, or will it be a Munster side playing in green shirts that will get the job done. wink.gif

It all comes down to money, how would you fill those plates games seats during the RWC and would it make money

I can't see it working unless they have them as a curtain raiser to the cup games

Samoa, Georgia and Canada all played on Wednesday, all playing again with just 3 clear days between matches; as did Namibia with games v Fiji and Samoa 10th and 14th; their Tier 1 opponents have all had 7 or 8 days break since playing.

England spent their time adventure sports, bungee jumping, shagging about in bars . . . then struggled today v Georgia, patches of class (6 tries to 1) but had only 43% territory and 50% possession - hard to win with that against a better team.

Agree re a plate comp; saw the interview with the Georgia captain after the match and he said what they needed were more games, would be great to see a mini-tournament take place.

It all comes down to money, how would you fill those plates games seats during the RWC and would it make money

I can't see it working unless they have them as a curtain raiser to the cup games

They'd fill the seats by playing in small stadia in the same cities as the big games; so that the travelling support for the big games would go along, as a rest from the heavy drinking mid-week, local club supporters, and the travelling and expat support of the competing nations could attend. They wouldn't make money, but it would give the smaller teams another game or two, after they've already paid for the flights. And it might keep up the interest of the TV viewers, and make a change from the bloody barclays' premier league on TV for us all!

THe difficulty with curtain raisers would be the extra wear and tear on the pitches - for the bigger stadia, they're already getting a lot of games, surely.

SC

And that's why it wouldn't fly, as it wouldn't make money even If it was for the good of the game

The RWC have a hard nosed attitude towards business, just ask any small business's anywhere close to the major stadia wanting to open during game day. It's all about the money.

Most major stadia in NZ these days have outstanding playing surfaces being able to take the knocks, think the sevens rugby over a weekend,

Not much happening this week after so many games last week, just these four.

Matches Mon-Fri this week (Thai times)

Tuesday 2.30pm Italy v Russia

Wednesday 2.30pm Tonga v Japan

Thursday 3.00pm South Africa v Namibia

Friday 3.30 pm Australia v USA

Russia have a tough schedule - games v USA 15th, Italy 20th, Ireland 25th - 3 in 10 days; then Australia 6 days after - lucky they are tough!

Edited by Atmos