Local Shopkeepers And Calculators

It happens everywhere, you buy a 35b fried rice or a few cans of beer eg 80 baht and pay with a 100b note, the shopkeeper grabs a calculator to discover that the change is 20b. Is it because they are extremely lazy to use their brain and prefer physical action (taking the calculator and press buttons) over the slightest brain activity. (how much brain activity it needs to know that 100 minus 80 is 20 ? a 3 year old can do this) Can't clearly imagine how they think, it seems the longer I live here (12 years) the less I understand them...

People's mind's work differently.

I'm useless with numbers. I don't know my X table and I have been fired from jobs that involve adding in my head. However, I do have an A-Level in maths and am quite capable in Pythagoras and solving advanced algebraic equations.

Don't be too quick to judge.

I'm useless with numbers. I don't know my X table and I have been fired from jobs that involve adding in my head. However, I do have an A-Level in maths and am quite capable in Pythagoras and solving advanced algebraic equations.

Im not very strong with numbers either, not to say poor. But I mean 100 minus 80 or 50 minus 35, you not even need to think to know this I guess...

They are doing it for the benefit of the customer

something like that maybe I could imagine, not sure though, got the impression that they really don't know how much is 100 - 80...

Edited by Member

No big shakes, I think it's done for two reasons; first it's a product of the Thai education system and secondly, if they get it wrong, and give you too much change, they have to make up the till at the end of their shift.

I have to say, the devil in me likes to hand over 100 Baht note and a 5 Baht coin to pay for something of 55 Baht, (hoping to get a 50 back)….What I get a lot is a look from them like I'm a bone head, a smattering of giggles…. A lot of head scratching, then finally, two 20's and a 5 Baht coin………….Then with a smile the 5 Baht coin I gave to them, back! I do enjoy the look on their face, when they have managed to make a farang look stupid! Having said this, the stall holder are normally on the ball.

Edited by Tonto21

Many Asians used to use the abacus. I think punching away on the calculator just fulfills the same kind of process. But much more fun to watch the abacus. I remember some of the old Chinese shopkeepers, they were pretty impressive.

Yes, I think it's more as a substitute for conversation...they think they cannot tell you the price so they show you the price, as well as show you the correct change. Good customer service and very easy for them...no language problems, no number/price arguments.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt...:rolleyes:

I think it depends where you are, what you're buying and from whom?

7/11? 'Corner shop'?. Pattaya, Ta Phraya?. Beer, a new camera? The boss, the manager, the shop assistant?

Apart from 7/11 (which has tills), most will resort to the calculator, when you ask.

1) How much?

2) for a discount?

3) Agree a final price!

Although if you can both back up your use of a calculator skills with multi-lingual numbers - it's better!

i.e. the seller knows numbers in English, and you know numbers in Thai! It's great when you reach a compromise!!

Don't attempt this in Tesco! My wife complained on Saturday that the cashier ran through the bar code scanner 16 individual cans of Tonic, as opposed to running 1 and using her head to count to 16! It must have wasted at least 5 seconds of my important life, I just giggled, quietly to myself! After all there could have been alot of 'lost face'! two days later my wife has gone through the bill and asked the same question!

My favourite in tesco at the moment is the till girls, who hold up a placard with 'Available' in front of their till, if the 'Available' ones are mingers or don't smile, i go for another circuit of the snacks aisles!

Edited by trevorg

For our employees, it's policy to have them use the cash registers, Excel sheets, Quickbooks worksheets, and yes calculators (and yes, we have backups in the storage room ready to go if yours breaks) etc., no matter how simple the calculation. Feel free to practice simple math on your own time.

If we're going to talk about 'unfathomable' quirks... what about all those folks (both locals and foreigners) living on borrowed/mortgaged/etc. funds?

:)

For our employees, it's policy to have them use the cash registers, Excel sheets, Quickbooks worksheets, and yes calculators (and yes, we have backups in the storage room ready to go if yours breaks) etc., no matter how simple the calculation. Feel free to practice simple math on your own time.

If we're going to talk about 'unfathomable' quirks... what about all those folks (both locals and foreigners) living on borrowed/mortgaged/etc. funds?

:)

Heng - I don't owe anybody!

I totally agree! I will calculate in my mind! I will check with a simple calculator. I will then use a spreadsheet to calculate the same thing, with multiple variables, multiple times, I will then check my formulas within the spreadsheet using my mind and calculator to ensure that it all checks! Assurance, building in the variables is the hardest!

Simple calculators are great for retail environments! Your staff are obviously well educated or well trained - must be their boss!:D

I've had 'em use a calculator for a 99 baht purchase and a 100 baht note. :lol:

Want to have some fun? Say the tab is 81 baht. Give them 101 and see what happens. I've had many insist on handing back the 1 baht and give me another 19 after digging around in a plastic dish for 5 minutes.

However, in all fairness, I've had the same experiences in the States and would probably have had many more but everyone there uses registers, which do all the work.

I've had 'em use a calculator for a 99 baht purchase and a 100 baht note. :lol:

Want to have some fun? Say the tab is 81 baht. Give them 101 and see what happens. I've had many insist on handing back the 1 baht and give me another 19 after digging around in a plastic dish for 5 minutes.

However, in all fairness, I've had the same experiences in the States and would probably have had many more but everyone there uses registers, which do all the work.

Spot on!

I'm the same, pull out a note (or coin) that nearly or double covers the bill, then pull out the correct change, in order that they can give you a 'round' note of change! First they're confused, and 'if they have the luxury of a register/till' they're amazed that you are cleverer and quicker than 'the machine'.

Doesn't bother me, though my wife insists on telling everyone, including the kids! Mental arithmetic can be a great asset, but don't use it to calculate how much you've spent on a good night out! If you've had a good one, don't count your pennies!

Add prices all day long and it easy to make mistakes - even on simple sums. Using a calculator is better for the business and the customer.

I don't disagree with that, but having a basic knowledge of arithmetic, without the use of a calculator + - x & / must be essential for retail work!

How much is this chair? 400B, how much are 2 chairs? Hold on, I'll get my calculator? 650Baht....

Want to have some fun? Say the tab is 81 baht. Give them 101 and see what happens.

What happens is they give me 20 baht, every time. And if I give them a 100 they ask for me for 1 more then give me 20. Not sure where you're shopping

I think it depends where you are, what you're buying and from whom?

7/11? 'Corner shop'?. Pattaya, Ta Phraya?. Beer, a new camera? The boss, the manager, the shop assistant?

Apart from 7/11 (which has tills), most will resort to the calculator, when you ask.

1) How much?

2) for a discount?

3) Agree a final price!

Although if you can both back up your use of a calculator skills with multi-lingual numbers - it's better!

i.e. the seller knows numbers in English, and you know numbers in Thai! It's great when you reach a compromise!!

Don't attempt this in Tesco! My wife complained on Saturday that the cashier ran through the bar code scanner 16 individual cans of Tonic, as opposed to running 1 and using her head to count to 16! It must have wasted at least 5 seconds of my important life, I just giggled, quietly to myself! After all there could have been alot of 'lost face'! two days later my wife has gone through the bill and asked the same question!

My favourite in tesco at the moment is the till girls, who hold up a placard with 'Available' in front of their till, if the 'Available' ones are mingers or don't smile, i go for another circuit of the snacks aisles!

That's a bit sad really.

Many Asians used to use the abacus. I think punching away on the calculator just fulfills the same kind of process. But much more fun to watch the abacus. I remember some of the old Chinese shopkeepers, they were pretty impressive.

Believe it or not, Abacus is still part of meny school's curiculums. I was flabergasted when I had to buy one for my daughter. :blink:

Want to have some fun? Say the tab is 81 baht. Give them 101 and see what happens.

What happens is they give me 20 baht, every time. And if I give them a 100 they ask for me for 1 more then give me 20. Not sure where you're shopping

Well, obviously not the same place you've been shopping.

Or maybe the smae place but it's because you are smarter, better looking, have more charisma and speak better Thai than I do.

I am delighted for you.

I think many times they choose to use the calculator when the customer is a farang, so they can just show the number in the calc instead of trying to say the numbers in farang lingo.

Oh, right, the OP was talking about calculating the change and not the price.

I agree. It's never a problem because the trusted calculator is always at hand if they can't do it in their head.

And anyway happyrobert, what does it matter if they can't do mental arithmetic? Just feel lucky that you had the benefit of an education and stop 'having fun' at the expense of those who were unfortunate enough not to.

Edited by uptheos

Having sold at a farmers market in the U.S. in a former life, I enjoy watching the vendors at the local Thai produce markets. As in the U.S., I can assure you that the stall owners and long-term, long-time employees can do simple math in their heads, keeping track as I select four tomatoes, six bell peppers, an onion and a bunch of pak chii. Their employees might not, but in many cases family members are the staff and they learn early. I recently participated in a transaction at a fish vendor who was training her four year old grandchild and (I think) wanted him to get over his shyness in dealing with westerners. It probably helped that I know Thai numbers and all the vocabulary needed for market transactions.

As here, our employees in the U.S. often couldn't perform such mathematical gymnastics, even some with masters degrees (OK, admittedly in the "arts"). They were all armed with an employer-provided large-form calculator, similar to the model I see here, only ours had the capability of figuring in state sales tax.

Sorry you don't add up.:lol:

Yes, I think it's more as a substitute for conversation...they think they cannot tell you the price so they show you the price, as well as show you the correct change. Good customer service and very easy for them...no language problems, no number/price arguments.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt...:rolleyes:

Mario, how dare you use such flawless logic in a place like TV..and whats more using this sensible and simple logic in a way that would not offend anyone,

Do you know where you are? what were you thinking? :crazy::cheesy:

If you ask me, i think the Thais do this because they think we are all rude cheap charlies who will queerie the total price and/or change given.

How they could have ever possibly come to this conclusion i have no idea :rolleyes:

Agree the education is horrid and this goes for the University levels, too.

I've amazed the workers by doing simple arithmetic in my head.

Quick ! 35 from 101 is ..? Very very few Thais can answer that

Because many of them cant do it without one, many simple things we take for granted are just not taught here, the education system is terrible here. Do some simple math on paper and watch the amazement from them.

its amazing though that, say for instance they always seem to know how to calculate out the 10% extra charge bunged on top of the original price. that is of course, yes you've guessed it. special price, because you farang ! biggrin.gif