Some Hotel/Guesthouse Farang Not Allowed?

4evermaat

Wong wien yai, maybe 1.5km from Robinson. yesterday Gf and i were checking out some "cheap" hotel to stay. we ran into one that was 390 without hot water or 410 with hot water. So we went to see the boss and to check the room and pay and she was promptly informed as soon as i was seen "farang cannot stay".

Gf insisted i tag along (to check the room).

I figured money was money; first time it happened to me. Was it saving face thing to avoid requote price? Or some place do not want farang? The place was not new-looking.

Edit: i found a newer place for 560. I go tired of looking and decided to stay there. The irony was thay i was not given key (runner has to open door every time), first room air con was broken, second room poop spray broke (but was fixed)

Edited by 4evermaat

Even if your a falang, it can come down to the colour of your skin. If you are Black or of Indian decent, lots of options go out the window, including most jobs. I don't agree with this but its just the way it is in Thailand. There will never be any race discrimination laws in Thailand in any of our lifetimes.

My British born friend, but his family originally come from India. He could only get into a couple of Go Go bars at Nana, nearly 90% turned him away even though he had his British passport!

As far as Nana is concerned I can probably understand, as it's in the vicinity of the Grace Hotel and surroundings where a lot of poorer Indians and Pakistanians stay. If you get to know that area most of the Indians that stay there they simply don't want to pay the proper prices. The working ladies who stand outside the Grace Hotel will laugh at the Indians on a daily basis with their ludicrous offers of 200 baht for a short-time or 500 baht to have a whole group of them at the same time....They sometimes also try to avoid paying drink bills. Once having some middle-eastern food in one of the sois there, a group of them sitting next to me somehow managed to put an order for a number of bottles of Coke in with my bills then promptly ran away.

this happened to me when looking for a room for a Thai person:

Advertisement outside rooms for 4500 a month

I go inside to check the room and woman says only for Thai people. I answer no problem the room is for a Thai.

Then the price changed to 10000 because i was paying. I told her to no thanks.

Yes I can believe it.

How can you expect a government that acts like school children in a playground to pass a law preventing blatant racism?

No blacks no dogs no Irish, that was over 50 years ago in UK. Thankfully we've moved on. Thailand has a long way to go but it won't be in my lifetime....

A few years back in Jomtien I stayed in the car while my ex popped into a hotel to check the price. The price was ok so I parked the car, grabbed the bags and entered the lobby to be informed that the price was higher because I was a foreigner. We sharply moved onto another hotel where we received 50% discount with my ex's Thai Airways flight attendant ID.

Sometimes the policies of hotels astound me...

The Policy the Op describes too. Perhaps they didn't want mixed couples because of a perceived potential 'short time image' - It would be interesting to know whether or not if the OP was alone or if he was with a western lady the policy of no foreigners remains the same. IF so, then a business may choose to shoot themselves in the foot however they wish.

Thais are racist by definition in my opinion; it is built into the language and culture. Some are smart enough to overcome it, others are not.

Most non-Thai people (Thai apologists included) would be astounded by what they say to eachother about people of different races, even thais of differing skin color.

What amazes me is some Westerners denial; I have heard things and told said Westerner, and was shocked when I was told "you must have misunderstood, they would never say that" or "I don't believe you."

Well, believe it because they would and do say things like "black people are smelly and dirty" "Laotians are stupid" the list goes on and on.......TIT

Several of the pubs/restaurants in Khao San road, Bangkok deny Thai ladies entrance.

Even if they arrive with their foreign husbands.

Already some threads about this on TV.

Yep.... I heard that they said "stealing". but not Farangs

Thais are racist by definition in my opinion; it is built into the language and culture. Some are smart enough to overcome it, others are not.

Most non-Thai people (Thai apologists included) would be astounded by what they say to eachother about people of different races, even thais of differing skin color.

What amazes me is some Westerners denial; I have heard things and told said Westerner, and was shocked when I was told "you must have misunderstood, they would never say that" or "I don't believe you."

Well, believe it because they would and do say things like "black people are smelly and dirty" "Laotians are stupid" the list goes on and on.......TIT

I believe people in general (on the globe) is somewhat racist and xenophobic.

We just have to be thought different, and we "open" our eyes.

Yes I have also heard these remarks here several times.

We do smell different, and some Thais choose to say it out loud, which is rude in our books, but not rude in their own.

When my friends say I have become fat, they do not mean it in a derogatory way. It is just a statement that I gained some weight.

Try saying that to a westerner and you see him/ her in court within days.

Surely you must have picked up how English/Scottish/Irish can threat each other.

Im amazed about what I have heard some people from northern part of USA can say about people from Centucky, Alabama, and some other states.

Try north and south Italy.

Several of the pubs/restaurants in Khao San road, Bangkok deny Thai ladies entrance.

Even if they arrive with their foreign husbands.

Already some threads about this on TV.

Yep.... I heard that they said "stealing". but not Farangs

It is just a stupid over reaction trying to avoid getting a working girl/freelancer hangout stamp.

There are quite a few hotels and guesthouses around Thailand that will not allow mixed-race couples to stay on what amounts to decorum reasons. Producing marriage documents will usually change their minds BUT not always. My partner and I (gay couple) have never had a problem with this when we both present ID's (DL for me and Thai ID for him) showing the same address for residence.

I have seen GH's and hotels that won't accept some nationalities and/or some races. The only places I have seen that don't accept a farang nationality are a few places that will not accept Israelis.

I am black but I rarely go to places where there is a possibility of racial discrimination.

No go go bars or humid bar beers. I generally avoid places with chance encounter of people with single digit IQs.

Most places I am the only person with a different color, and I get same treatment as everyone else.

I have had 'I wont date a black person', which gets me to retort 'I only date virgins'.

I never had any problems with hotels, bars, or girls here refusing me because I'm Black, and I'll be here 10 years in December.

Jobs, well I never even tried to teach English, I don't have a degree, but I did ok selling Time-share at one point. Did just as good if not better than my white co-workers.

i've seen this before....

but it's not that you are falang,it's because your a man,

some guesthouses fo thais do not allow man stay inside.

So falang man or Thai man,you need to wait next to the gate....

But plenty of cheap rooms avaidable in Pattaya...

So do I, never had problem with my skin complexion ...

Being half Belgian/half Indonesian, I always let people guess from I am coming from, and this can be be from Morocco 'till Brunei... even one day Peru!

Anyway, when I am checking in 400 / room hotel, the price tag is in USD not THB B)

I was in Khaolak and paid 20 baht for 1 spring roll when my Thai friend bought it for 5 baht!!!

Special made spling loll for you my flend.

;)

Next time, let your Thai friend order for you.

:)

<br />Yes I can believe it.<br />How can you expect a government that acts like school children in a playground to pass a law preventing blatant racism?<br />No blacks no dogs no Irish, that was over 50 years ago in UK. Thankfully we've moved on. Thailand has a long way to go but it won't be in my lifetime....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Deputy PM Suthep stated publicly and quite clearly" I do not trust Farang!"

The government speaking. Citizens take a cue and follow through. Add to that the inbred Xenophobia in the Thais mind.

Some very interesting responses overall.  I've had the <i>pricing</i> discrimination before; sure all farang have.  I was mostly lucky to be "accepted" by some thais in patong beach where I was able to stay in apartment for 5500 baht with hot water and air con in the royal paradise complex.  Looked at places in Chumphon also, pricing wasn't an issue really.  Bangkok it was 2nd try really; we normally stayed with a friend.  I just wanted to see a consensus; i felt i was not the only one.   Perhaps I should start another thread on friendly cheap guesthouses in wong wien yai?<br><br>

<br>They probably thought that a farang wouldnt possibly tolerate such cheap and basic accomodation and to spare themselves the stream of complaints found it simpler to refuse<br>
<br>Maybe, but I always check room first anyway.  It takes two minutes to check the hot water and air cond.  It's amazing that everytime I did NOT do this, i was setup.  The irony is that they have lots of empty rooms.  Why give me one you "know" is not working?<br><brquote]<br>lol.  I know the routine.  I often will walk in a different direction, pretend to look at cell phone, etc when she's flagging down taxi or talking with tuk-tuk.  Then when price is confirmed, i "magically" appear in view. My lady tends to be shy and I have told her to ALWAYS check the room anytime we are considering.  It takes two minutes to check the hot water, air cond, and the light switch (the 3 main considerations).  She wants me to do the checking; and it's starting to piss me off; she knows the deal already.  "I only get upset when you do NOT listen."<br><br>This is one of the deciding things that may break up the relationship, but that's another thread.<br>
<br>i've seen this before....<br>but it's not that you are falang,it's because your a man,<br>some guesthouses fo thais do not allow man stay inside.<br>So falang man or Thai man,you need to wait next to the gate....<br><br>But plenty of cheap rooms avaidable in Pattaya...<br>
<br><br>I know what you are talking about;  seen a few in patong beach.  This was not it.  Both sexes were welcome.  Pattaya is very far from bangkok.<br><br><br> Edited by metisdead
Edited out previously deleted post.

So do I, never had problem with my skin complexion ...

Being half Belgian/half Indonesian, I always let people guess from I am coming from, and this can be be from Morocco 'till Brunei... even one day Peru!

Anyway, when I am checking in 400 / room hotel, the price tag is in USD not THB B)

If you can get something very nice at 30-100 USD (in Thailand), I would be interested to see where the other 300 is going. Is it thai or foreign brand name?

<br />Yes I can believe it.<br />How can you expect a government that acts like school children in a playground to pass a law preventing blatant racism?<br />No blacks no dogs no Irish, that was over 50 years ago in UK. Thankfully we've moved on. Thailand has a long way to go but it won't be in my lifetime....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Deputy PM Suthep stated publicly and quite clearly" I do not trust Farang!"

The government speaking. Citizens take a cue and follow through. Add to that the inbred Xenophobia in the Thais mind.

So what exactly is he afraid of? Did he just make a broad statement? Or was he talking about a specific situation?

Well it's thailand so put up or shutup, :)Don't have the problem with their laws, I can't stand most of the "victims" in this thread. They are mostly the ones that cause problems, make noise in hotel, make the place look bad and hassle you in the street. If you don't like racism you are in the wrong people, even thai's get shit for being low-so.

If you have been to Nana and Suk in general you would agree with this also.

Edited by Bingo66

What I have realized here is if you let it get at you, you will see tons of discrimination, best is to always stay on top of the situation in a diplomatic and smart manner, you will surely be accepted. The slightest weakness seen in you will make you get this sort of discrimination.