Connecting Via Usb

KRS1

Is it possible to connect to the internet via my cellphone then use a usb cable to my laptop?

i know it is if i use bluetooth instead of the usb cable.

i just purchased a nokia c2-01, cant seem to connnect via usb cable.

i just went out and bought a d-link dongle and its working, but id just like to know why the cellpphone arrangement cant work via usb or if its just the phone itself that isnt allowing it.

as im typing this im getting 550 kbps on my true dongle, up in chiang mai FYI.

You should be able to connect the C2-01 via USB. Did your OS recognize the phone? Did you set up a profile? Did you use Nokia/OVI Suite?

What kind of SIM, data package do you have? 550 Kbps is greater than the theoretical maximum for GSM data (GPRS/EDGE, 384 Kbps) so maybe you are on 3G?

pg. 30 of the User's Guide seems to indicate that you only use Bluetooth for phone <--> PC connectivity. Weird.

Connect your PC to the internet

You can use Bluetooth technology to connect your compatible PC to the internet. Your

device must be able to connect to the internet (network service), and your PC must

support Bluetooth technology. After connecting to the network access point (NAP)

service of the device and pairing with your PC, your device automatically opens a packet

data connection to the internet.

Packet data

General packet radio service (GPRS) is a network service that allows mobile phones to

send and receive data over an internet protocol (IP) based network.

To define how to use the service, select Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Packet

data > Packet data conn. and from the following:

When needed — Establish a packet data connection when needed by an application.

The connection is closed when the application is closed.

Always online — Automatically connect to a packet data network when you switch

the device on.

You can use your device as a modem by connecting it to a compatible PC using Bluetooth

technology. For details, see the Nokia Ovi Suite documentation.

Edited by lomatopo

for my cellphone i use dtac, but i bought a d-link dongle today and purchased a seperate true net sim.

my laptop recognizes the nokia, but it only appears to let me transfer files back and forth via usb. I used the 'pc suite'

dont recalling seeing ovi suite.

my laptop doesnt have bluetooth thats why i tried with a usb cable.

So im guessing im out of luck connecting to the net via USB and will have to go buy a seperate bluetooth usb adaptor if i want to go that route ?

Another concern is whether the phone will have enough memory to process intensive websites. When i was connecting to the internet with the phone,at one point it said 'not enough memory' and this was after opening my second gmail account.

Edited by KRS1