Your Passport: Is It Necessary To Carry Around With You?

italian2011

Question as per title.

I read about foreigners arrested for not carrying their passport but the source was not reliable.

Apparently a photocopy is not good and that will annoy me as I normally prefer living my passport at home (hidden as well).

Thank you

I've been stopped by police before (walking and driving) and asked for ID. Each time I've shown an ID card (such as drivers license, student ID etc..) and they've been fine with that.

Passport wouldn't last very long if you were walking around with it in your pocket every day, even with a cover on it.

There was a thread about this just recently. Yes, the law is that you do have to carry your passport at all times. Practical common sense says that you make sure you have it anywhere near the border, or on a long journey, or when you're away from home. Or keep it in your car. The police can ask to see it at any time.

There is no official requirement to carry passport that I have ever seen (although we have had Police Generals say otherwise at times). What is required is photo ID and the ability to produce passport when requested (should be in same city so you can go together or send someone to obtain). In parts of the country hotels hold passports as general policy so people would not have even if required.

Best to have drivers license or other photo type ID and a copy of passport/visa. That should be enough for normal police stop. During times of crisis/drug raids it may be advantages to carry passport to avoid being held until you can produce. But in general best not to chance losing in the off-chance of it being required. I have been in Thailand most of the last 40 years and have never been required to produce passport. But it can happen.

This question pops-up once in a while.

I believe the answer is that you must be able to produce an ID within a reasonable time, normally that would be in about an hour. So you would have time to have another person bring your ID to the police station. Regarding foreigners, police have extra powers and they can detain you to determine if you to determine if you are legally staying in the country or not.

A photo copy is not an ID, but normally accepted. As are Thai drivers license and such.

Where I live, I never carry a passport. If a go outside the area I live, I do. And you will need your passport to check-in at a hotel, although if you have a Thai wife most hotels will just book on the wife's name and forget about reporting your stay to immigration.

Edit:

As Lopburi said, that the police asks for a passport is rare. I only had it happen when I was living in a borde area, with lots of refugees and illegal immigrants. Than police chacks are not uncommon and sometimes they also cheked my passport. Especially traveling with public transport.

There was a thread about this just recently. Yes, the law is that you do have to carry your passport at all times. Practical common sense says that you make sure you have it anywhere near the border, or on a long journey, or when you're away from home. Or keep it in your car. The police can ask to see it at any time.

When I asked at my local immigration office if I had to carry my passport with me at all times I was told no but that I should have some form of id that could be checked. They said that my Thai driving licence was acceptable.

I never carry my actual passport with me, except when going to Immigration or some other official thing where I need it.

Rather, I carry my real driver's license and a laminated wallet-size color photocopy, passport face page on the front and my current visa/extension stamp info on the reverse...

Never had any problem. Always hand the laminated photocopy to hotel desks whenever we are traveling in country, and never had one question it... Just make sure the copy is large and clear enough that they can read your passport number.

Replacing a lost/stolen or prematurely worn out passport book, along with the stamps it holds, is a whole lot more grief than anything that could happen by carrying the other kinds of IDs...and having the real passport safely at home and retrievable if/when you need it.

Having lived here for over 5 years, I've NEVER had the police stop me and demand to see my passport.

I'm stopped fairly often whilst on my motorbike, but they only want to see my driving licence and (presumably) make sure my tax disc is up-to-date.

Although I only have my passport on me when doing my 90 day 'check-in', I forgot to take it out of my bag for a few days last year - unfortunately these 'few days' coincided with Songkran......

My passport was ruined and had to be replaced. I won't make that mistake again :lol:!

This is a good question. I'll try to have one of the Visa forum mods look into this also. I carry a laminated copy that has my visa stamp on one side.

I do the same as craig, unless I am traveling a lot by plane. I like to keep my passport in a safe place and some of the places I go are not considered safe. I've got copies of my passport and drivers license stashed everywhere in case of emergency.

I do keep a photocopy under the seat of the motorbike, but have never been asked for anything more than drivers licence at any police/military checkpoint; once they see my Thai licence and always seem to want to say (mispronounce!) my name in full then off we go.

I'd be very reluctant to carry it with me on daily basis.

I'd be very reluctant to carry it with me on daily basis.

Same here. The only times I've needed my passport: Embassy business, Bank activity (counter, new bank book, new ATM card), international airline ticket purchase, applying for Thai driver's licenses, getting a Post Office box (first time, not renewals). I've never had any contact with the police. I carry a color copy of the picture page, and my current (1 yr.) visa, but not the Departure card or the current stamp-in, and either my Thai car or motorcycle driver's license.

I never carry mine on me. This is breaking the law but it's a law I don't care for so I don't have an issue with that.

i have had a laminated photo copy made of my passport ,

the same size as a atm card . most photo studios can do it,

cost me 150 bht .

i carry it around with me , in my wally .

if stopped by the bib.

no problem

:jap:

This is a good question. I'll try to have one of the Visa forum mods look into this also. I carry a laminated copy that has my visa stamp on one side.

Went for a day out to Nong khai bit of shopping sight seeing ETC.

On the way back there was a police road block which pulled the bus over for a check.

Then seeing i was the only Falang on the bus wanted a chat with me,,Had to show them my bags they then looked inside and checked the contents inside.

Even going as far as shaking my Tins of baked beans not sure what they were looking for.

The the Question came can we see your passport..i say i not have ...then i had to pay 200baht fine ( tea money,Whisky money )what ever you want to call it.

so now i always carry around a laminated copy..!!!

Edited by welsh1

Went for a day out to Nong khai bit of shopping sight seeing ETC.

On the way back there was a police road block which pulled the bus over for a check.

Then seeing i was the only Falang on the bus wanted a chat with me,,Had to show them my bags they then looked inside and checked the contents inside.

Even going as far as shaking my Tins of baked beans not sure what they were looking for.

The the Question came can we see your passport..i say i not have ...then i had to pay 200baht fine ( tea money,Whisky money )what ever you want to call it.

so now i always carry around a laminated copy..!!!

Ha ha-that reminds me of a time when I was stopped by a police road block whilst driving . They wanted to check everything ie the boot, my bag.etc I had a tampon in my bag(not readily available in Thailand )Anyway , after hubby explained to the nice Bib we were sent on our way rather hurredly-no more questions asked

i got stopped and ticketed at the nana junction on sukhumvit last november while driving my new-ish car at around 10pm. one of the bkk cops end-of-the-month-fund roadblocks was up and i was unaware that driving a car with red plates after 6pm is illegal.

i was ticketed and told to report to lumphini cop-shop the next day - i might add that after 15yrs + of biking and driving in thailand that i speak reasonable thai and am something of an expert in quietly bribing the thai police but in this instance was unable to do so(annoying!).

i showed up at the appointed time at lumphini with the ticket, my uk drivers license and some money to pay my fine, and after the requisite 45 minutes waiting around for the under-worked, bad-tempered and sullen clerks to see me, i was on the point of leaving having paid a 500baht fine when a very young but high ranking cop who had nothing to do with my case appeared and demanded to see my passport.

unfortunately i had not taken it to bkk with me as i had only come for one night, however this copper insisted on it. in the end my wife had to take a taxi from pak chong to bkk in order to present it as they would not allow me to leave - you can imagine how amused my dear wife was by this.....

once it was produced the cop gave it a cursory glance and dismissed us. he also told me that i should ALWAYS carry my passport and that it was the law!

lesson learned!

Edited by joe ekkamai

I carry it with me to work in the document briefcase together with WP etc. And in my pocket if going out to clubs (they want to see it at times).

I don't if going shopping during the weekend etc -- but I would never travel away so I couldn't reach it in 60min of normal traffic...