Nothing Wrong With Pattaya

thaimate

Lots of Pattaya knockers out there but who cares what other people think anyway.

Easy to get around and with heaps more facilities than similar tourist places in Thailand it still wins hands down to me.

It is also relatively cheap and close to Bangkok.

You can live in Nakhon nowhere if you like but I couldn't last 5 minutes in rural Thailand. Heck most of the Thais I know are busting to get out of rural Thailand.

I couldn't last a minute in rural Thailand myself. The knockers always fail to come up with a suitable alternative where everything is perfect.

For me the choice is either Pattaya or find another country.

The knockers are tits

SC

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't last a minute in rural Thailand myself. The knockers always fail to come up with a suitable alternative where everything is perfect.

I enjoy the proximity to the beach that Pattaya offers. But for overall quality of life, especially for a family with children, Chiang Mai offers far more than Pattaya. Nothing and no place is "perfect", but when publications identify places in the world that are good to live/retire, the only city in Thailand that is ever mentioned is Chinag Mai. Pattaya is off the radar. And I am not suggesting that Pattaya is "bad", just that Chaing Mai is a lot better.

I enjoy the proximity to the beach that Pattaya offers. But for overall quality of life, especially for a family with children, Chiang Mai offers far more than Pattaya. Nothing and no place is "perfect", but when publications identify places in the world that are good to live/retire, the only city in Thailand that is ever mentioned is Chinag Mai. Pattaya is off the radar. And I am not suggesting that Pattaya is "bad", just that Chaing Mai is a lot better.

CM is a HORRIBLE choice for those with any respiratory problems.

I don't think Pattaya is a good place to raise children. Bloody dangerous if you ask me. No pavements for one. Try walking along Arunothai with a pram in rush hour. Pedestrian crossings which never show green men. Try crossing Pattaya Klang with a pram. I am forced to rent a car every leave to ensure safe transportation for our baby within Pattaya. Doing it the thai way on a moped with no helmets is not an option. Playing fields and parks are few and far between so nowhere for them to play safely. Plus who would let their kids go out and play alone in Pattaya? Enough said. Millions being made on Tourism but no effort to spend money on improving streets etc. Don't get me wrong I like living in Thailand but I constantly worry for our daughter's safety. Will feel alot better once we're living in the UK. At least there she can receive a decent education without paying extortionate fees also.

Living a bit North, i don't see Village Life as much different..Go to the 7/11 at midnight there's Tarts n Yobs on Scooters.There's a Whorehouse/ Karaoke every 30 Klics.Drugs are pushed in School, drunk driving is 50 times worse. Feckless Husbands have run off,the Ferangs have walked in. Its a Mini Pattaya witout lights to me. But i love Both, and Bkk too.:jap:

And I am not suggesting that Pattaya is "bad", just that Chaing Mai is a lot better.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.... but I'm not going to bring up a family in Pattaya. If that was my job, I wouldn't be doing it in Asia.

I can understand some peoples points about Pattaya - "not for bringing up children", but these posters obviously think there is nothing more to Pattaya than an area bounded by Beach road, North road, Second road, Bali high and Walking street?

As far as Thailand goes, Pattaya is probably one of the best places for an expat family to bring up a child, Many choices of English speaking schools, Many choices of Government schools, Kindergartens, Professional hospitals, Doctors, Opticians, ie:all the back up you come to rely on in your home country for your children is readily available in Pattaya.

How many people would love for their kids to work in any aspect in a big company such as, Ford, BMW, Toyota, Leibherr, Samsung, Izusu Bosch,Stanley,Triunmph motorcycles, (oh yes the best of British!!!), Mitsubish ??i, because they are all major employers here on the Eastern Seaboard!!! and these big players pick their staff from the local education establishments....

Or sit in the UK and think ....My family used to....... .........??????

Some people prepare themselves for an overseas posting, or a job relocation, or an environment adjustment!!! Obviously others dont???

I think everyone should watch a classic episode of Mrs Brown http://youtu.be/n6b1o175Ix8 and just chill the fk oot!!! xx

Thaimate, If you think Pattaya is a good choice place to bring up children, you're quite ill.

And your a fool ,my son doesnt hang around walking street ,we live in a quiet area with quite well off Thai neighbours ,and he mixes with other boys from his school , dont judge what you dont know.

The summary of your considered defense, quite satisfactorily demonstrates you're not well balanced. If there should ever be a town in the world that would enjoy having a sign saying "Adults Only", it's Pattaya. Admit it - that was what brought you here in the first place. Your either sick, or selfish, or both.

Trafic noise doesnt bother me. What I dont like is the noise of people. Asians are a noisy lot in general, and many Thais speak (shout) in a particularly piercing way. Add to that the inevitable barking dogs and I would much rather be in a condo than out in the sticks. If you choose the right condo you dont get any traffic noise either, even in Pattaya.

There are even a few condos that are themselves out in the sticks, and some of those are really excellent for someone who appreciates silence. I have my eye on a couple at the moment.

I like View Talay 1B. Walls and floors very thick I guess. Huge open areas including the largest pool I've seen around pattaya.

Thaimate, If you think Pattaya is a good choice place to bring up children, you're quite ill.

And your a fool ,my son doesnt hang around walking street ,we live in a quiet area with quite well off Thai neighbours ,and he mixes with other boys from his school , dont judge what you dont know.

The summary of your considered defense, quite satisfactorily demonstrates you're not well balanced. If there should ever be a town in the world that would enjoy having a sign saying "Adults Only", it's Pattaya. Admit it - that was what brought you here in the first place. Your either sick, or selfish, or both.

I normally just go to Pattaya on family holidays...

I think Rayong might be more suited to farang families for somewhere to live, though I've never really looked into it.

I believe Rayong is more acceptable to ignorant bigots like ourselves who rely solely on prejudice and stereotype to make decisions

SC

One flame and a quoted reply removed from view, can we stop this bickering and name calling now please.

Everyone has different reasons for liking or not liking Pattaya, lets discuss like the gentlemen I know we all are.

I can understand some peoples points about Pattaya - "not for bringing up children", but these posters obviously think there is nothing more to Pattaya than an area bounded by Beach road, North road, Second road, Bali high and Walking street?

As far as Thailand goes, Pattaya is probably one of the best places for an expat family to bring up a child, Many choices of English speaking schools, Many choices of Government schools, Kindergartens, Professional hospitals, Doctors, Opticians, ie:all the back up you come to rely on in your home country for your children is readily available in Pattaya.

How many people would love for their kids to work in any aspect in a big company such as, Ford, BMW, Toyota, Leibherr, Samsung, Izusu Bosch,Stanley,Triunmph motorcycles, (oh yes the best of British!!!), Mitsubish ??i, because they are all major employers here on the Eastern Seaboard!!! and these big players pick their staff from the local education establishments....

Or sit in the UK and think ....My family used to....... .........??????

Some people prepare themselves for an overseas posting, or a job relocation, or an environment adjustment!!! Obviously others dont???

I think everyone should watch a classic episode of Mrs Brown http://youtu.be/n6b1o175Ix8 and just chill the fk oot!!! xx

I agree with Lenny,

And wouldn't have a probelm with Pattaya if I had a good job there and had to move the family there.

I have brought my children up in Bangkok because its where I work. They go to an excellent private school. They are happy bright and intelligent. I don't see why the same could be done in Chonburi province. Pattaya isn't just walking street.

What I find really sad is the farangs that bring up their family in an isaan village, but that's another story.

GFL

I don't think Pattaya is a good place to raise children. Bloody dangerous if you ask me. No pavements for one. Try walking along Arunothai with a pram in rush hour. Pedestrian crossings which never show green men. Try crossing Pattaya Klang with a pram. I am forced to rent a car every leave to ensure safe transportation for our baby within Pattaya. Doing it the thai way on a moped with no helmets is not an option. Playing fields and parks are few and far between so nowhere for them to play safely. Plus who would let their kids go out and play alone in Pattaya? Enough said. Millions being made on Tourism but no effort to spend money on improving streets etc. Don't get me wrong I like living in Thailand but I constantly worry for our daughter's safety. Will feel alot better once we're living in the UK. At least there she can receive a decent education without paying extortionate fees also.

Isn't most of Thailand like that? The parts I've been to are. I don't think I would let my kids go out alone and play anywhere in Thailand. All the streets are dangerous, not just in Pattaya.

I moved to Pattaya two months ago and think that if you stay away from the bars in the center it compares well to other parts of Thailand. In many ways I think it is much better. The facilities are very good. Also I get several English radio stations, which is a small thing but a big bonus to me. Cable Tv is cheap and quite good too. On the whole I wish I'd moved here 5 years ago. The idea of living in a rural area is my idea of hell.

Pattaya is not really designed for children, der I thought that was obvious with all the Lovely Cute Thai girls and a few fat ugly ones.

I don't take the bairns to Soho or King's Cross when we go to London.

SC

Pattaya is not really designed for children, der I thought that was obvious with all the Lovely Cute Thai girls and a few fat ugly ones.

Next time you come to Pattaya, have a look around. There's plenty of children. Probably as many as any other Thai city. There's even a school just a stone's throw form Walking Street.

You could use the same silly logic on somewhere like Amsterdam and most other big cities. Not designed for children because of a big red-light districts.

i moved here from Samui and think its great, if you have the money plenty of good schools, i did not like Samui so i moved, if people live in pattaya and dont like it i cant understand why they dont move. wished i had come here years ago but i am out on the darkside so not the busy area.

Moved down here from bkk in feb and I absolutely love it here, I don't even want to go back to bkk for a trip.

This place offers EVERYTHING for EVERYONE, it's fantastic and cheaper than bkk too.

I am in Jomtien, I have been to walking street twice and that was only because I had some mates here from out of town. I will never even consider living anywhere else in Thailand now.

I like weather here in the evening when the temp drops down and there is a breeze. I have a 2 year old and it is fine having kids here, there is so much for them to do.

For those who hate Pattaya, good for you, stay away and enjoy your sad, primitive lifes in the jungle just waiting to die.

Moved down here from bkk in feb and I absolutely love it here, I don't even want to go back to bkk for a trip.

This place offers EVERYTHING for EVERYONE, it's fantastic and cheaper than bkk too.

I am in Jomtien, I have been to walking street twice and that was only because I had some mates here from out of town. I will never even consider living anywhere else in Thailand now.

I like weather here in the evening when the temp drops down and there is a breeze. I have a 2 year old and it is fine having kids here, there is so much for them to do.

For those who hate Pattaya, good for you, stay away and enjoy your sad, primitive lifes in the jungle just waiting to die.

Yes, it is extremely "hot and humid."

Wow. I like Pattaya too (or used to -- haven't been for so long I can't safely say so now). But people who hate it are condemned to sad, primitive lifes(sic) in the jungle, just waiting to die?

This from the same guy who OPed about people choosing to settle in one place; so what could be seen in the other thread wasn't just my imagination -- you've got real issues about the way other people choose to live, don't you?

I don't have any problem in particular with Pattaya. I just don't want to be anywhere the tourist are en masse.

Thailand is unique and I do not need the tourist and damned tourists (the ones that don't go back) to change it to their liking. It is not my liking.

I am not singling out the bar scene.

What is the difference between a 'damned tourist' and an expat?

Isn't it the Thais who are doing the changing in order to match their perception of what tourists want, surely the tourists themselves don't have much of an opportunity to change things.

I don't have any problem in particular with Pattaya. I just don't want to be anywhere the tourist are en masse.

Thailand is unique and I do not need the tourist and damned tourists (the ones that don't go back) to change it to their liking. It is not my liking.

I am not singling out the bar scene.

What is the difference between a 'damned tourist' and an expat?

Isn't it the Thais who are doing the changing in order to match their perception of what tourists want, surely the tourists themselves don't have much of an opportunity to change things.

Its those damned suggestion boxes. laugh.gif