Is Living In Chonburi Any Fun

I want to invest some money into buying a condo. Not sure if that is the best idea, but still, is it selling it hard? What is it like to live in chonburi, is it like phuket, krabi??? Boring? What can you do there.

Is it hard to find somebody to rent from you? Lets say you buy a condo 30 sqmeters, and rent it for 9000 bht per month, possible?

I am fed up with paying the rent each month. So that is why I am buying a condo.

THanks

Chonburi city and area is not remotely like Phuket or Krabi which are tourist destinations. Chonburi is industrial (eg. Adidas has a plant there - they made the balls for the 2010 World Cup). It is noisy and congested for the most part but authentically Thai.

A 30m2 condo for 9000? Dream on, that's a Pattaya price for falangs and not too many falangs are going to Chonburi other than those brought in by multinationals and they can afford much bigger and more expensive. In that area Thais would pay 2000.

Edited by johnnyk

To the OP: "Chonburi" is both the name of a *city* and a *province* so which do you mean?

It's like asking something about "New York." It can mean The Big Apple, or include the entire state.

To the OP: "Chonburi" is both the name of a *city* and a *province* so which do you mean?

It's like asking something about "New York." It can mean The Big Apple, or include the entire state.

I don't think it really matters in this case, Chonburi city & province are the manufacturing heart of the country and condos are going to be in the urban areas.

Further add to my post:

I know a Thai family that rents out a small 2-bed house across the highway just east of SriRacha for 2000/month so 9000/month for a small studio isn't going to get any takers in that area.

Edited by johnnyk

I don't think it really matters in this case, Chonburi city & province are the manufacturing heart of the country and condos are going to be in the urban areas.

There's a big difference between a beach condo in Pattaya and condo in SiRacha, and workers residence in Chonburi manufacturing zones...etc..I think that is wpcoe's point

There's a big difference between a beach condo in Pattaya and condo in SiRacha, and workers residence in Chonburi manufacturing zones...etc..I think that is wpcoe's point

I get that but people generally differentiate between Pattaya and Chonburi even though Pty is in Chonburi province. I took the OP as meaning Chonburi ex-Pattaya. MBL.

Very few westerners in Chonburi City, it is the capital of Chonburi Province, Pattaya is in Chonburi Province, it is a huge province, 1:30hr to drive it. If you are looking at the city, I suggest Bangsan Beach area, this is the main beach for Thais from Bangkok, to be honest, it is a nightmare on weekends, crowded, hundreds of car "noise systems" blowing up their speakers trying to out 'thump-thump-thump' each other. No hooker bars if that's your thing, it is pleasant in that regard, the main street, the one with the UNI on it and all the bars, really fires up on weekends with UNI students. The province is the industrial heartland of Thailand. FYI, land not condos, Land on the eastern side of the highway within 2km of it but not on any major roads is going for a average 2Mill a Rai, 1km form Bangsan Beach I know of a cleared Rai sold 6 months ago for 9.6mill. Insane prices. ermm.gif

Edited by happyjune

ouch

I am not buying condo then, I thought chonburi is like 30 minutes from pattaya, I just saw many condos that sell for 800000 in that area

I guess I am not investing after all

Guessing from the state of your geographical knowledge I'd suggest you need to come here and familiarize yourself.

Further add to my post:

I know a Thai family that rents out a small 2-bed house across the highway just east of SriRacha for 2000/month so 9000/month for a small studio isn't going to get any takers in that area.

My Ex has both her houses in Sriracha rented out to Jap/Korean familes and they are bringing in 35k per month each.

Sriracha has both ends of the spectrum.

• Like 1

Further add to my post:

My Ex has both her houses in Sriracha rented out to Jap/Korean familes and they are bringing in 35k per month each.

Sriracha has both ends of the spectrum.

Of course. Foreign companies have a lot of managers/execs stationed there with nice salaries and generous housing allowances. As you say, they are renting houses. The OP wondered about renting out a small studio room for 9000. Expat managers aren't going to live there and Thais won't pay anywhere near that for what is basically a room.

Pattaya can be reached from Chonburi between 30-60mins depending on traffic. has good links to both BKK, Rayong and further also buses go up to Issan.....Because of the spiralling cost of land in Pattaya and the general development of Chonburi, many developers are looking at Chonburi and there are a large number of well designed and competively priced condos coming on to the market. Chonburi has Makro, Central and Lotus plus good infastructure and the Labour office is also located there. May not be ideal for the Expat or holiday maker but for BKK Thais its an alternative to the more expensive areas of Pattaya or the other side of the water in Hua Hin and is already proving very popular......but dont expect a rush of bars and other Expat entertainment to appear in that area.