Retiring In Thailand

I have been visiting Thailand since 1970 and have decided to retire there, maybe in a couple of years. I am a New Zealander, 61 years old. My wife is Australian 45 years old. Can someone please tell me what I must do to effect this? Do I need to deposit 800,000 Baht in bank account or 1,600,000 Baht as my wife is not Thai?

• Like 1

800,000 Thai Baht in a local bank account in your name for a one-year retirement extension of stay, your wife would then get a one-year dependent extension of stay piggy-backed to your extension. Your wife, at 45 years old, is not eligible for a retirement extension of stay hence no need to deposit 800,00 baht for her. You both need a non-immigrant "O" visa to start. The money needs to be on deposit in Thailand for two months prior to the first extension application, three months for subsequent extension applications.

Edited by InterestedObserver

You could try the Honorary Consulate in Brisbane - should only take a few days by mail.

OP says he is New Zeaalnd, wife is Australian so assuming he is in New Zealand now...

Royal Thai Embassy in Wellington................ http://www.thaiembassynz.org.nz/

• Visa application form and other consular forms may be downloaded from the site.
    We also include direct links to a number of Thai official websites and other useful links.
  • For additional information the Embassy can be contacted at the following:
  • E-mail: //removed as per forum rules//]
  • Consular E-mail : //removed as per forum rules
  • Tel: (64 4) 476 8616 - 9
    Chancery Facsimile: (64 4) 476 8610
    Consular Facsimile: (64 4) 476 3677

What he said was "I am a New Zealander". He said nothing about being there.

The information in the post doesnt say anything about him being in Australia either ! but it seemed to work for you as thats where you directed him,

.....your wife would then get a one-year dependent extension of stay piggy-backed to your extension.

Never really understood the logic in that. Assuming that the 800K deposit is to prove enough ressources to pay for living and possible medical expenses, I dont see how two people can qualify on one deposit. Only housing actually costs the same for 1 or 2 people, and I suspect that if I was married my wife would have me spending far more than I do now on a day to day basis.