Butter

gharknes

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Margarine tastes like poo. :o

Be careful what you say about margarine…. It covers all sorts of different “butter-like” or “non-butter” substances.

Hard margarine, in particular contains “trans-fats which like the fats in butter are associated with heart diseases, and can contain large amounts of animal fat too and not “cholesterol free”. Though this is not a straight-forward issue as our bodies need/produce cholesterol anyway

The soft type in tubs is made with all sorts of ingredients and is sold on the basis of being healthier….on balance this is usually the case. Even one brand will vary its content from country to country. Flora in Oz has a different make-up from UK.

To say margarine tastes like “poo” would suggest the poster has not tasted many margarines as the tastes vary immensely, or maybe has not tasted “poo”.

I use butter occasionally and marg is the usual, but if you want healthy (and delicious) go with olive oil – Italian extra virgin of course!

I have tasted many different margarines, and they all taste like what I imagine poo tastes like. So there.

Oh yeah, my Grandfather was a Norwegian creamer. Died of a presumed heart attack at 45!

Here where I live I found only Kerry Gold Irish Butter , and I love it , more than other butters here. Next time shall try Kiwi Butter if I am in Thailand. Dont like salted butter but love natural(flavour) butter that 's not hard like a stone. :o

I'm surprised nobody has stumped for Orchid yet. For me, it's the best widely availabe brand out there. I prefer unsalted, so the butter has to stand or fall on taste and texture. Anchor just don't cut it, but then I prefer the French-style.

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter

...anyone tried it?

YBB

Yes, I have tried ICBINB and I CAN believe that it is not butter... it may actually have that illusive flavouer of poo which we will need to rate the taste of margarine :o

Personally, if you are going to spread fat on your bread... you may as well make it the best!

why Italian?? We like Portuguese oil :o

I haven’t tasted Portuguese olive oil for several years but I imagine any country that traditionally grows olives will have a good EV, unfortunately I haven’t seen it on the selves here in Thailand.

Italian EV has a distinctive nutty peppery taste that that makes it so good for dipping bread in. I find that almost all the olive oils on sale in Thailand are of Spanish origin are mass produced blends and taste like "poo"! (Don't be misled by an Italian sounding name)…

only buy unsalted butter. add your own salt if you really need to.

i'm surprised not many people are aware of this, but factories use inferior butter for the salted version, because you wont be able to taste the difference after its been salted. and 'to rub salt in the wound' they charge you the same for both versions.

also, next time you visit a 3-star restaurant (not that there are any in thailand), take notice that the butter is NEVER salted. no self-respecting gourmet chef or restauranter will serve their bread with salted butter.

personally i go for President Unsalted.

Edited by thedude

Yes, I have tried ICBINB and I CAN believe that it is not butter... it may actually have that illusive flavouer of poo which we will need to rate the taste of margarine  :o

Personally, if you are going to spread fat on your bread... you may as well make it the best!

LOL :D:D ...OK thanks I won't bother trying it!

Cheers YBB

Butter is made from animal fat (particularly milk fat), which is typically solid at room temperatures, hence no need for hydrogenation. While butter and Margarine have similar caloric values, butter generally is much higher than margarine in saturated fat, which is also known to be detrimental to heart health. In addition, margarine contains small amounts of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats (which are generally considered healthier than saturated). Furthermore, according to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, switching from butter to margarine can greatly reduce blood cholesterol levels.

Margarine is cholesterol free, lower in saturated fats and is increasingly becoming available in trans fat free varieties. Whichever spread you choose, experts say moderation is key. Too much of either is definitely a bad thing.

If you love having some toast on your butter, you'd butter be careful.  :o

Now we are getting somewhere, would I be right in saying that the stuff we purchase here in thailand is not actually butter but is in fact margerine........this would explain why it tastes so bad, in Ireland and the UK we have a choice of buying either butter or margerine, an easy spread or a blend, so the descriptive name as we know it at home doesn't actually apply here.......butter here in Asia isn't actually butter as we know it in the UK Ireland, I believe our butter is made mostly from milk although I'm not sure.

So back to my original question, is there a butter that can purchased here that tastes like the butter back home and not like margerine

Oh and whether salted or unsalted is of no real importance to me, we have both at home and they both taste like butter not margerine

come on guys butter butter butter, where and what

for those that are not from the UK or Ireland and have no idea what i'm talking about - in other words you've been taking margerine all your life branded as butter (which it isn't) forget this thread as you have never actually tasted real butter as it should be.

wilko no offence but you have never tasted real butter hence your inability to donate to this thread alongwith most of the others

you guys really have no idea how good real butter really tastes as opposed to margerine which appears to be what most of you have been grown up on.....yuk

Edited by gharknes

…would I be right in saying that the stuff we purchase here in thailand is not actually butter but is in fact margerine...

Your suspicion is understandable but I can assure you: Thailand has food labelling requirements very similar to those of the EU and they are strictly enforced.

It is true, however, that the taste of butter – and of milk and beef – can vary greatly based on what the cows are fed and to a lesser extent also on how they are otherwise treated. For this reason, it is impossible to get butter made with milk from Thai cows that tastes like butter made with milk from Irish cows.

There are distinctive differences also within Europe, even within the same country or region. Milk from cows grazing in the fields does not taste the same as milk from cows fed industrial animal feeds (tapioca, etc., many containing even animal meat and bones)

Even with grazing cows, the taste of milk and butter can vary a little based on the vegetation of the fields.

It pains me to have to tell you this, but you need to bury your dream of finding Irish-like butter in Thailand.

for those that are not from the UK or Ireland and have no idea what i'm talking about - in other words you've been taking margerine all your life branded as butter (which it isn't) forget this thread as you have never actually tasted real butter as it should be.

I had no idea that the only real butter in the world was in the UK.

Interesting that British cuisine isn't more highly rated isn't it?

I'm sure that the French will be crushed to learn this new fact. :o

Being from Wizconsin (cheesehead) I appreciate decent butter. I have not been to Thailand yet and am wondering about how cheaply I can live and am interested in food costs. Can someone tell me how much a pound (or however many grams they sell) of real butter costs?

ThankZ!

-m

wilko no offence but you have never tasted real butter hence your inability to donate to this thread alongwith most of the others

What an extaordinary assumption! and on what basis??????

I would set my mother on you but you obviously think you are my mother so I doubt if you could handle the ensuing identity crisis....

I lived in UK for a long, long time but as I recall apart from locally made butter there were virtually no brands of British butter in the supermarkets....there was Kerrygold (Irish), Lurpak (Danish), Anchor (New Zealand) and President (French) - I simply can't remember a single major brand of British butter!

New research on coconut oil and butter show that butter is better than you think. They are arguably better that extra-virgin olive oil for for cooking with high-heatcooking. I tend to agree with research that say that margerine is BAD for health.

I stay away from Orchid butter simply beacause the aluminium foil packaging is not lined with parchment/baking (?) paper (unwaxed). I settle for Allowerie, Imperial and sometimes Anchor. The best butter I've ever tasted is the Horizon brand organic creamery (European Style) butter available in good old Eugene, Oregon. And yes, inferior milk makes inferior butter, but technique in butter-making is also key. (By the way, I find Indian milk to be the best, but the taste of the butter is not quite as impressive as Horizon's as far as I remember--Ghee(uhm.impressive?!) is of course, a different matter altogether). I suspect that Scottish butter must taste good too as I have tasted some Scottish-made cookies and biscuits and they were yummy. I too vow to try Irish butter before I die. Irish cream coffee alcohol mix of some sort that a friend of mine had me try in Oregon was simply IMPRESSIVE!.. though I can't tell whether it is really an irish thing or a U.S.-American interpretation.

Have you tried using French Clarified butter available at UFM and probably Villa and carrefour too?

For all you butter lovers, try visiting www.butterisbest.com. My love for butter got me there a year or two back.

Enjoy,

BKK

New research on coconut oil and butter show that butter is better than you think.  They are arguably better that extra-virgin olive oil for for cooking with high-heatcooking.  I tend to agree with research that say that margerine is BAD for health.

I stay away from Orchid butter simply beacause the aluminium foil packaging is not lined with parchment/baking (?) paper (unwaxed).  I settle for Allowerie, Imperial and sometimes Anchor.  The best butter I've ever tasted is the Horizon brand organic  creamery (European Style) butter available in good old Eugene, Oregon.  And yes, inferior milk makes inferior butter, but technique in butter-making is also key. (By the way, I find Indian milk to be the best, but the taste of the butter is not quite as impressive as Horizon's as far as I remember--Ghee(uhm.impressive?!) is of course, a different matter altogether).  I suspect that Scottish butter must taste good too as I have tasted some Scottish-made cookies and biscuits and they were yummy.  I too vow to try Irish butter before  I die.  Irish cream coffee alcohol mix of some sort that a friend of mine had me try in Oregon was simply IMPRESSIVE!.. though I can't tell whether it is really an irish thing or a U.S.-American interpretation. 

Have you tried using French Clarified butter  available at UFM and probably Villa and carrefour too? 

For all you butter lovers, try visiting www.butterisbest.com.  My love for butter got me there a year or two back. 

Enjoy,

BKK

New research on coconut oil and butter show that butter is better than you think.  They are arguably better that extra-virgin olive oil for for cooking with high-heatcooking.  I tend to agree with research that say that margerine is BAD for health.

I stay away from Orchid butter simply beacause the aluminium foil packaging is not lined with parchment/baking (?) paper (unwaxed).  I settle for Allowerie, Imperial and sometimes Anchor.  The best butter I've ever tasted is the Horizon brand organic  creamery (European Style) butter available in good old Eugene, Oregon.  And yes, inferior milk makes inferior butter, but technique in butter-making is also key. (By the way, I find Indian milk to be the best, but the taste of the butter is not quite as impressive as Horizon's as far as I remember--Ghee(uhm.impressive?!) is of course, a different matter altogether).  I suspect that Scottish butter must taste good too as I have tasted some Scottish-made cookies and biscuits and they were yummy.  I too vow to try Irish butter before  I die.  Irish cream coffee alcohol mix of some sort that a friend of mine had me try in Oregon was simply IMPRESSIVE!.. though I can't tell whether it is really an irish thing or a U.S.-American interpretation.  

Have you tried using French Clarified butter  available at UFM and probably Villa and carrefour too? 

For all you butter lovers, try visiting www.butterisbest.com.  My love for butter got me there a year or two back. 

Enjoy,

BKK

I certainly wouldn't use EV olive oil for cooking except in a few cirmcumstances where flavour demanded...it really has too strong a taste for most uses. But then I seldom use butter for cooking either...

Talking about clarified butter, I use Gee if I'm cooking Indian, or vegetable Gee which I can buy in Pattaya and the same brand as UK too!

A couple of other observations....

1. - I noticed that marg is often genericly referred to as "butter" in the USA...not so in UK, where the two are hardly ever confused..

2. - A lot of the pro butter research is financed or sponsered by the pro buttter lobby to try and offset decades of bad press....

Edited by wilko

There are quite a few organic or "micro" dairies in the States that have excellent butter. The best I've ever had is in Ireland (have family), I had to avoid the urge just eat it outright by itself. Never had New Zealand butter, bet it's great.

I never bother with margerine, why?.

"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol" - Steven Wright

(As well as drink, etc.)

What an extaordinary assumption! and on what basis??????

I would set my mother on you but you obviously think you are my mother so I doubt if you could handle the ensuing identity crisis....

Well you haven't, simply by the nature of your post.

I suspect the main difference between pure butter in the UK and Ireland and possibly other places around the plannet is that there is no animal fat added in the process, it is made only from milk, this is a wild guess on my part but would explain the margerine taste that spoils other so called butters.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up here, just trying to get that magical creamy taste that I miss so much on my spuds and toast.

Will try a few more and post results, the fench stuff sounds possible

I lived in UK for a long, long time but as I recall apart from locally made butter there were virtually no brands of British butter in the supermarkets....there was Kerrygold (Irish), Lurpak (Danish), Anchor (New Zealand) and President (French) - I simply can't remember a single major brand of British butter!

anchor is margerine like flora, lurpak i believe is also margerine.