Being A Vegetarian In Thailand

wellred

So what am I in for in regards to food in Thailand? Over here there is usually a decent selection of vegetarian food whenever I go out for a Thai. I thought it might be a good idea to memorise a few phrases to help me out in regards to ordering food. Pom gin jai, pom mai gin neau sat ect.... read somewhere in thailand there are 2 levels or types of veges, normal veges and chinese veges or vegans. I can eat dairy and onions ect, just no meat.

Are some places better than others for selection of vegetarians? I am going Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Kanchaburi and then Koh Phangan. I managed to find a few vege only restaurants in Chiang Mai but tbh id prefer id I could walk into any restaurant and try and talk the chef into making a curry with no meat, or tofu substitute if possible. Is that at all feasible? I love my thai food normally and am gonna take some cooking lessons whilst im there.

Sorry to be off-topic for a minute but aren't onions vegetables?

Yeah I think so, but what I meant by that is some chinese vegetarians don't even eat onions. Apparantley in Thailand they are catered for too, so was just saying.

All Chinese restaurants can cook vegie meals. 2 phrases Pom kin aharn jay or pom kin aharn mung sa wee rat. Jay is Chinese Mungsaweerat is more Thai.Also most indian nosh houses cook vegie. In Little India you can find a large range of Both North and South Indian dishes and lots of Vegie places ,as well. At very reasonable prices. This is where the average Indian citizens eat. Don;t see many farang there. Go across to Sukumvit and you will find more upper class indian places, with prices to match.

Yes, but it's based on eating guidelines of the Jains, an Indian religion. In addition to any kind of meat, they don't eat plants where you eat the entire plant, as it ends the life of the plant. So no potato, carrot, onion, etc where you dig the entire plant out of the ground and eat it.

Chiang Mai is a CAPITAL of vegetarianism here :) It has about 60 restaurants - from Western for farangs, with foods full of onions and garlic, to Thai Jay (not so healthy too - full of meat supplements).

BKK too, but it too big, so - they aren't so close, as in Chiang Mai.

For Chiang Mai I recommend to buy Nancy Chandler map - all veg places is marked on the map, don't know, how's good her map of BKK.

About other cities: it's completely not a problem. We can come to almost any place and order jay food there. Of course, misunderstanding happens, but very rarely, if you have experience to talk with them.

About 2 levels: the 1st one is mangsawirat. It's not a pure vegetarianism, they use eggs, so be ready, if you don't eat them.

But pls, keep in mind: restaurant food not so healthy, if you are vegetarian because of health reasons. As I said - Western and Thai kitchen here concentrated more on spices, meat substitutes, cakes, ice cream, than on vegetables and fruits.

P. S. About me: active vegetarian during the last 8 years.

make sure you ask them if the food doesn't cook with Naam Pla (fish sauce), (Sauce Hoi)oyster sauce and sort of these seasoning.

please enjoy various fresh vegetable and fruit in thailand! :D

FYI ; Pom pen Mang Sa Wi Rat = I am a vegetarian.

Yes, but it's based on eating guidelines of the Jains, an Indian religion. In addition to any kind of meat, they don't eat plants where you eat the entire plant, as it ends the life of the plant. So no potato, carrot, onion, etc where you dig the entire plant out of the ground and eat it.

How very thoughtful of them. smile.gif

You are in the easiest country in the world the world to be vegetarian IMHO and I am a true meat eater!!!

Since coming to live here some years ago I find myself seeking out the tofu required to put in soups or the square tofu for frying or making up my own "Laab Tohu" I love it and I didn't even know about tofu and its various uses untilI came to Thailand.

I have had quite a few people come to visit over the years and have come to experience that not"everyone is the same". But fortunately Thai cuisine is so easy to adapt eg sweet & sour tofu etc etc it really is sooo easyyyy

Chiang Mai is a CAPITAL of vegetarianism here :) It has about 60 restaurants - from Western for farangs, with foods full of onions and garlic, to Thai Jay (not so healthy too - full of meat supplements).

BKK too, but it too big, so - they aren't so close, as in Chiang Mai.

For Chiang Mai I recommend to buy Nancy Chandler map - all veg places is marked on the map, don't know, how's good her map of BKK.

About other cities: it's completely not a problem. We can come to almost any place and order jay food there. Of course, misunderstanding happens, but very rarely, if you have experience to talk with them.

About 2 levels: the 1st one is mangsawirat. It's not a pure vegetarianism, they use eggs, so be ready, if you don't eat them.

But pls, keep in mind: restaurant food not so healthy, if you are vegetarian because of health reasons. As I said - Western and Thai kitchen here concentrated more on spices, meat substitutes, cakes, ice cream, than on vegetables and fruits.

P. S. About me: active vegetarian during the last 8 years.

Thanks for the tips! I think id fall into the mangsawirat bracket. I eat eggs.

Be careful with food halls - a lot of the time they use sauces with meat - I have made the same mistake twice at the same stall (doh!) ordering Vegetarian Rahdna - they use pork gravy (you can see the bits of meat floating in it!). I am a pescatarian - i.e. I eat seafood and fish and dairy produce, but not mammals or birds - much easier for me than you, but I still get served food I can not eat (I either give it away or just leave it untouched). Even after I have told them specifically in Thai, no meat, I am a vegetarian (much easier than pescatarian - no idea what that word is in Thai!) I still get the odd meal with meat in it. I once ordered egg rice - and told them specifically no meat (was told, "of course, egg rice, no meat") and got chicken in the rice - they got that one back!

//Edit: typing with elbows again! //

Edited by wolf5370

You are in the easiest country in the world the world to be vegetarian IMHO and I am a true meat eater!!!

Since coming to live here some years ago I find myself seeking out the tofu required to put in soups or the square tofu for frying or making up my own "Laab Tohu" I love it and I didn't even know about tofu and its various uses untilI came to Thailand.

I have had quite a few people come to visit over the years and have come to experience that not"everyone is the same". But fortunately Thai cuisine is so easy to adapt eg sweet & sour tofu etc etc it really is sooo easyyyy

I think India is easier - 80% of the population are vegetarians.

I think India is easier - 80% of the population are vegetarians.

And have been for thousands of years.!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Pescatarian also. That Laab sound great I'm doing to get the wife to try making that. She does Laab Kung.

Sticking to vege restaurant's I think is the way to go I'm not a vege but the other day I thought how hard it must for one, I ordered a squid dish it was as usual delish, but on closer inspection I found it had ground pork in it, I ask you how can they put meat in a fish dish. I had no complaint's but if you are only a fish eater you've got big problem's. Best of luck with all you endeavor's.