No More Kawasaki Zx-10R

You are correct. The restricted 2010 model ZX10R offered by Kawasaki Thailand sold terribly. For just a bit more you can buy a brand new US Spec 2011 model ZX10R from Red Baron which is vastly superior to the 2010 model. The first two 2011 model ZX10R's that Red Baron imported sold in a flash and they are bringing more. While the US spec ZX10R is also slighty restricted it's MUCH easier and cheaper to derestrict than the 2010 model ZX10R that was sold by Kawasaki Thailand.

2011-zx-10r.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

You are correct. The restricted 2010 model ZX10R offered by Kawasaki Thailand sold terribly. For just a bit more you can buy a brand new US Spec 2011 model ZX10R from Red Baron which is vastly superior to the 2010 model. The first two 2011 model ZX10R's that Red Baron imported sold in a flash and they are bringing more. While the US spec ZX10R is also slighty restricted it's MUCH easier and cheaper to derestrict than the 2010 model ZX10R that was sold by Kawasaki Thailand.

2011-zx-10r.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!

the 2009-2010 ZX10R from kwaker TH was od spec, and a miss. Initially Malaysia hp restricted, and then Thai emission restricted.

and as Tony says, the 2011 is a totally different bike, but considered to advanced for kwaker TH to manufactor, so Z1000 it will be, august?

2011-zx-10r.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!

the 2009-2010 ZX10R from kwaker TH was od spec, and a miss. Initially Malaysia hp restricted, and then Thai emission restricted.

and as Tony says, the 2011 is a totally different bike, but considered to advanced for kwaker TH to manufactor, so Z1000 it will be, august?

In typical Kawasaki, Thailand fashion the release date for the Z1000 keeps getting pushed back, but it still sounds like it's coming, sooner or later :rolleyes:

FYI, it's not manufactured in Thailand, rather imported from Japan. No word yet on how restricted it will be... :unsure:

2011_kawasaki_z1000_07.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

2011-zx-10r.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Hi Tony,

Is the 2010 ZX-10R mechanically restricted or electroncially restricted, both? Its an important question as I want to help a buddy out. PM if you like, as I thought it was an electronic restriction fixed by an TRE to out fox the ECU.

Thanks,

Garry

2011-zx-10r.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Hi Tony,

Is the 2010 ZX-10R mechanically restricted or electroncially restricted, both? Its an important question as I want to help a buddy out. PM if you like, as I thought it was an electronic restriction fixed by an TRE to out fox the ECU.

Thanks,

Garry

Hi Garry,

As far as I know (and I'm no expert on this bike) the restrictions on the US Spec 2011 Ninja ZX10R are the secondary butterflies which actually start to close in the upper RPMs, the ignition curve, and the boom box / CAT section of the exhaust.

There are already some companies that are selling full power race ECU's for this bike and others that can re-flash the OEM ECU. http://www.dptune.com/index.html for example.

According to the company above a reflash will accomplish this:

remove retards in lower gears

remove throttle restrictions in the top two gears( factory ecu closes the secondary plates as the revs rise)

remove the decel fuel cuts

re tune the fuel and advance maps in ALL GEARS.

remove speed limiters

raise rev limiter.

A race ecu will get you all of the above plus:

pit speed limiter,

fuel cut shift adjust

trim overall fuel

trim cyl 1/4 fuel

trim cyl 2/3 fuel

adjust timing overall

adjust cylinder timing

rev limiter set

I'll be honest I don't even know what all of these adjustments are, but bottom line, if you want to derestrict a US Spec Ninja ZX10R you'll need a new exhaust and a new ECU. Most folks replace their exhaust anyway, so that's no big deal, and as for the ECU, you will have to decide which way you want to go- reflash or replace with race ecu.

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Hi Tony,

Thanks,

Garry

Hi Garry,

As far as I know (and I'm no expert on this bike) the restrictions on the US Spec 2011 Ninja ZX10R are the secondary butterflies which actually start to close in the upper RPMs, the ignition curve, and the boom box / CAT section of the exhaust.

There are already some companies that are selling full power race ECU's for this bike and others that can re-flash the OEM ECU. http://www.dptune.com/index.html for example.

According to the company above a reflash will accomplish this:

remove retards in lower gears

remove throttle restrictions in the top two gears( factory ecu closes the secondary plates as the revs rise)

remove the decel fuel cuts

re tune the fuel and advance maps in ALL GEARS.

remove speed limiters

raise rev limiter.

A race ecu will get you all of the above plus:

pit speed limiter,

fuel cut shift adjust

trim overall fuel

trim cyl 1/4 fuel

trim cyl 2/3 fuel

adjust timing overall

adjust cylinder timing

rev limiter set

I'll be honest I don't even know what all of these adjustments are, but bottom line, if you want to derestrict a US Spec Ninja ZX10R you'll need a new exhaust and a new ECU. Most folks replace their exhaust anyway, so that's no big deal, and as for the ECU, you will have to decide which way you want to go- reflash or replace with race ecu.

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks for the info Tony. I've talked to him about after market race ECU's like Microtec, Nemesis etc, but want him to go the less expensive route first. Glad it's not mechanical, namely diffeent cylinder head, camshafts, compression ratio etc. I've suggested he spend the money and get himself and IvanPerformance TRE. I'm sure his exhaust will be next, as it's not his first bike to be modded by him

But why would they do that on the US market ? I did not know you guys have restriction too (we do have horrible ones in France).

Are you also limited in hp ?

Thanks for info ;)

I recall reading somewhere that the restriction was to comply with federal noise regulations... :rolleyes:

But why would they do that on the US market ? I did not know you guys have restriction too (we do have horrible ones in France).

Thanks for info ;)

I recall reading somewhere that the restriction was to comply with federal noise regulations... :rolleyes:

Also the reason why Ducati is going to a wet clutch on the 1199

Thanks for info ;)

Also the reason why Ducati is going to a wet clutch on the 1199

I heard that indeed. What a shame, I don't won a Ducati but I love to be next to one at the red light. The dry clutch sound... magic ;)

I heard that indeed. What a shame, I don't won a Ducati but I love to be next to one at the red light. The dry clutch sound... magic ;)
Strangely the open dry clutch sound has never really appealed to me. But the thunder of the Termis is another matter entirely.

Strangely the open dry clutch sound has never really appealed to me. But the thunder of the Termis is another matter entirely.

I'd go for both ! I just like the fact it is original, gives a proper soul to the bike. And it's still a nice piece of engineering.

I'd go for both ! I just like the fact it is original, gives a proper soul to the bike. And it's still a nice piece of engineering.

I find the sound of dry clutch very charming. Used to have some Italian bikes in my teens, so it also sounds like I need to open my wallet for a repair soon........

also reminds me of the transmission noise in my Lancia cars ;)

Once at a set of light in town (CR), I had one old dear in her car who looked down her nose at the Ducati rumbling beside her. I don't think she has ever had a an open clutch, rumbling twin beside her before. Of course I had to give it a blip just to let her know there was more to it, than a rumbling idle. She wound her window up, obviously not a fan :lol: