Going To An Amphur To Get Married

hotandhumid

I'm giving up my life as I know it soon and marrying a wonderful woman and mother of my daughter.

I understand what is required before we get to the Amphur, but not sure what to expect when we get there.

Do we need an appointment? I believe you don't, but I'm not sure.

How much does it cost?

Is there any dress code? If not, is an effort expected of you to look respectable, ie shits, trosers etc, or is that just down to the individual?

Should you have the wedding rings with you?

Would you normally get photos taken?

How long does it all take?

Do you get the certificate on the spot? And have other people, who got married, get the marriage cert translated to English? Is that allowed?

Any help is appreciated.

H&H

No appointment.

Cost less than 100 baht.

Dress properly (long pants).

No wedding rings.

No photos.

Basically you sign a paper and then you are married.

Bring two witnesses that must also must sign.

Took me 10 minutes.

I translated my wedding certificate so I could register the marriage at my embassy.

Good luck and congratulations.

You could look up my post not so long ago about that very thing.

3 Is there any dress code? If not, is an effort expected of you to look respectable, ie shits, trosers etc, or is that just down to the individual?

Should always look respectable when dealing with Thai officialdom. I wore a nice pair of shorts and a proper shirt with shoes

4 Should you have the wedding rings with you?

Not necessary- it's not a ceremony

5 Would you normally get photos taken?

Up to you. I gave the next in line my camera to take a photo of us holding the certificates. In Bangkok, they have a fancy samlor you can sit in

8 And have other people, who got married, get the marriage cert translated to English? Is that allowed?

You do the same as for the Free to marry paper from your embassy. Take the translated papers to Chaeng Watana to be stamped, or you can get them translated there.

No appointment.

Cost less than 100 baht.

Dress properly (long pants).

No wedding rings.

No photos.

Basically you sign a paper and then you are married.

Bring two witnesses that must also must sign.

Took me 10 minutes.

I translated my wedding certificate so I could register the marriage at my embassy.

Good luck and congratulations.

Sorry, wrong on a few points.

Bang Rak is 400 bht and Pattaya is 200 bht.

Witnesses not necessary at Bang Rak

The guy who did the paperwork at Bang Rak was taking photos for the couples ahead of us.

Thanks a lot for the replies, I know a lot more now.

Poor sucker - I read before that the Amphur will provide witnesses?

As for getting the marriage cert translated, I assume you can get that done at a few places, you don't necessarily have to go back to Chaeng Wattana?

I am in Pattaya by the way, but not sure yet what Amphur we will go to. May go to the one in ban rak, bkk as that is meant to be where where a lot of folk go to sign away their freedom.

I suspect the 400 baht was for witness as they are always required. And if you do not speak Thai someone should be with you to translate what you have to sign (again at places where a lot of foreigners do it may be included in any charge). Normally wife will take the time to get new ID with changed name so allow extra time for that if in the plan.

As for getting the marriage cert translated, I assume you can get that done at a few places, you don't necessarily have to go back to Chaeng Wattana?

I am in Pattaya by the way, but not sure yet what Amphur we will go to. May go to the one in ban rak, bkk as that is meant to be where where a lot of folk go to sign away their freedom.

You can get the translation done anywhere, but it's not legal till it's stamped at Chaeng Watana.

As I said, read my post. I had the registration at Banglamung and didn't take witnesses. It's better than Bang Rak which is a zoo.

If you go to Bkk, take the skytrain from On Nut to Chong Nonsi and then a cab as the quickest way. Earlier the better, as lots of people going and there is a lull at lunchtime.

Much less hassle at Banglamung and the staff were more friendly.

I understand what is required before we get to the Amphur, but not sure what to expect when we get there.

Do we need an appointment? I believe you don't, but I'm not sure.

NO

How much does it cost?

70Bht

Is there any dress code? If not, is an effort expected of you to look respectable, ie shits, trosers etc, or is that just down to the individual?

NO

Should you have the wedding rings with you?

Ring exchange not part of Thai culture

Would you normally get photos taken?

I did

How long does it all take?

90mins

Do you get the certificate on the spot? And have other people, who got married, get the marriage cert translated to English? Is that allowed?

YES, what you do with certificate later up to you, Amphur office Thai script only, not speak or write English.

Any help is appreciated.

You must take Affirmation of freedom to marry translated in to Thai and stamped by Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs to the Amphur office

Some offices require person who can translate Thai/your language with you as officially you must be able understand what happening.

Your passport, her ID card, her Tabian Baan book

Everywhere different example

Doi Saket, Chiang Mai, no translator, office provide 2 witness

Mae Rim, Chiang Mai, must have translator, must have 2 witness with proof of address

(so foreigner witness must have Thai driving license or Cert of residence)

Edited by OlafStapleton

Ok great. I will get hitched in banglamung then. Will just have to trek back up to chaeng wattana to get the translated marriage cert stamped, but there won't be a rush to do that.

Btw, can I get the affirmation doc stamped at the british consul in jomtien?

Ok great. I will get hitched in banglamung then. Will just have to trek back up to chaeng wattana to get the translated marriage cert stamped, but there won't be a rush to do that.

Btw, can I get the affirmation doc stamped at the british consul in jomtien?

1) Affirmation of freedom to marry, notarized by your Embassy/consulate (if divorced, must show original divorce document not copy)

2) Translate Affirmation into Thai by authorized translator (anyone else, MOFA say do again but keep money)

3) Translation sent to Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok for authentication (sticker and stamp on back of each page).

Why you want Thai marriage cert translated to English?

Nobody want to see. No use to you!

Edited by OlafStapleton

olaf - If you want to register your marriage with the british embassy and therefore the registry office in the UK then you need it translated. This is not a legal requirenment by the way. But if I'm going to commit to getting married then I may as well go the full hog and go for it properly.

If you deposit your marriage certificate with the UK government, it doesn't add to, or subtract from, the legality of the marriage. It just means you have to pay them if you ever want a copy of the certificate! If you want to keep a translated, notarised (MFA) copy for yourself, then that's one thing. Giving it to the government (for a fee) and then getting them to give it back to you (for another fee) doesn't really serve any purpose, in my opinion.

Anyway, hope it all goes well for you, it's not, by the way, anything at all like a registry office function in the UK, it's just like getting a tax disc at the post office! :)

Mine was a lot longer and more drawn out than others have posted about, but that was upcountry in Chiang Rai province, I'm sure you'll be fine if you follow the advice posted here.

All the best,

Biff

Oh, and mine cost 50 baht, that was for two plastic covers for the certificates :)

Edited by bifftastic

Biff - You're right, you make a lot of sense. I won't bother with the translation, unless as you sayit's for my purpose only.

Does anyone know if I can get affirmation from the Jomtien Brit Consul? I live in Jomtein but I can never get down there to ask them by half past 11, before they close :unsure:

Cheers.

I suspect the 400 baht was for witness as they are always required. And if you do not speak Thai someone should be with you to translate what you have to sign (again at places where a lot of foreigners do it may be included in any charge). Normally wife will take the time to get new ID with changed name so allow extra time for that if in the plan.

Well, I got married in CM. The cost was about 45 Baht and no witness. :)

If you deposit your marriage certificate with the UK government, it doesn't add to, or subtract from, the legality of the marriage. It just means you have to pay them if you ever want a copy of the certificate! If you want to keep a translated, notarised (MFA) copy for yourself, then that's one thing. Giving it to the government (for a fee) and then getting them to give it back to you (for another fee) doesn't really serve any purpose, in my opinion.

So everyone agree with me?

I know what I type about!

PS

You get 2 marriage certificate

One for you, one for her.

For divorce you need to show one marriage certificate, best you keep yours as lady can never find hers!

Edited by OlafStapleton

The reason to get translation of marriage certificate and legalization is that in the future if you need such proof you have it. Just as with the UK registration process - it makes it easier in the future if proof of marriage is required by your home government or insurance or such.

Olaf - Yep, I will kep it safe so I have it when the divorce comes around :bah:

Lopburi - So you would recommend registering with the UK governement then?

I find it strange that you asked the question in the first place, your Thai prospective wife should know all the answers to you questions anyway TiT.:)

I find it strange that you asked the question in the first place, your Thai prospective wife should know all the answers to you questions anyway TiT.:)

Only if she marry foreigner before!

Most Thai know nothing about paperwork for foreigner.

If I were UK national and planing on living there believe it would be a good idea (as then a legal copy is available in the UK). Otherwise I would not bother. I did make two such copies myself and have used one for official requirements to US Government. You can always wait until required but some of us do like to be ahead of the curve in case there were an immediate requirement it would be available. Such translation is sometimes required if seeking visas from Honorary Consulates (although likely not legalized).

Visa plus next door to Pattaya immigration will do the paperwork for you that needs to go to the ministry of foreign affairs [Cheang Wattana]

She will take to BKK and you will get everything back in order app one week later .She will phone you when all is ready.

I think the cost is around 3500 baht.

Well worth it.

For your fiance's sake and to show the officials that you are serious it would be better to wear a tailored shirt with a tie and long trousers.Plus leather shoes.

Edited by 4.real

If I were UK national and planing on living there believe it would be a good idea (as then a legal copy is available in the UK). Otherwise I would not bother. I did make two such copies myself and have used one for official requirements to US Government. You can always wait until required but some of us do like to be ahead of the curve in case there were an immediate requirement it would be available. Such translation is sometimes required if seeking visas from Honorary Consulates (although likely not legalized).

As far as the UK is concerend, you can't register the marriage with the UK government as the marriage is already registered in Thailand.

As Bifftatstic said earlier, what you can do is deposit a copy of the Thai certificate with the General Records Office. Doing so or not doing so does not effect the legality of the marriage in any way. Under UK law if the marriage is legal in Thailand then it is legal in the UK (Foreign Marriages Act 1892). All it means is that a copy will be available to you in the UK should you need one. If you do want to pay the fee for doing this see here. Most Brits who marry abroad, myself included, don't bother.

The UK does not require translations to be certified by the MFA. All that is needed is a signed certificate in English on the translation from the translator confirming that it is an accurate translation and giving the name, address and phone number of the translator.