Double Entry Tourist Visa Timing

OK, I know about single entry tourist visas, but need some info on DOUBLE entry tourist visas.

When you get a single entry tourist visa, you have 90 days to first USE the visa. So far, so good.

So if you are applying for a double entry tourist visa, do you AUTOMATICALLY have 180 days to use the SECOND entry, or do you have to specifically ask for more time to use the second entry?

OK,

Thanks for the great feedback.

Another clarification question.

When you get a double entry tourist visa, you still only get ONE visa in your passport, correct? The difference being if they give you TWO entries, 2 should be in the entry field, and the valid until date should be 180 days, not 90 days? Is this all correct?

So when you enter for the first visa, do they stamp USED or wait until the second entry to stamp USED? Or is USED stamped twice?

OK,

Thanks for the great feedback.

Another clarification question.

When you get a double entry tourist visa, you still only get ONE visa in your passport, correct? The difference being if they give you TWO entries, 2 should be in the entry field, and the valid until date should be 180 days, not 90 days? Is this all correct?

So when you enter for the first visa, do they stamp USED or wait until the second entry to stamp USED? Or is USED stamped twice?

Validity will be six months. First entry will get (1) and date. Second will get (2) and date plus used stamp if they still do the same as mine.

Yes. One visa.

Mine had printed: Good for......journey(s) to Thailand. One, two, or three to be handwritten in as applicable. The issue date and utilize by dates are also written in. The writing was inserted by consular staff I hasten to add. I only used 2 of 3 permitted entries on first visa and I have used 2 of 2 entries on my second visa which has not been overstamped USED: I think it should have been.

• 1 month later...

OK,

I have a followup question related to this post on double entry tourist visa.

I got me a double entry tourist visa, and it does say entries TWO, but there are no separate dates for entry one and entry two.

The use by date is 90 days from visa issue for BOTH ENTRIES! Although I challenged this, they were firm in not giving me 180 days to use the second entry. In reality, I can use the second entry also within 90 days of visa issue, but just barely, so that is OK.

I am still unclear on the USED STAMPS business.

When I enter Thailand using the first entry, should I expect them to stamp the visa USED even though it still has a second valid entry? Or, do they use another kind of stamp when there is still some use to the visa? I don't care if they stamp USED after the second entry, but concerned about the visa still being valid for the second entry after the first entry if it is already stamped USED.

Edited by Thaiquila

I am still unclear on the USED STAMPS business.

When I enter Thailand using the first entry, should I expect them to stamp the visa USED even though it still has a second valid entry? Or, do they use another kind of stamp when there is still some use to the visa? I don't care if they stamp USED after the second entry, but concerned about the visa still being valid for the second entry after the first entry if it is already stamped USED.

when entering thailand on a fresh multi entry visa; the first entry will have the date stamped. the second entry should also have its date of entry stamped in. at that point (in the case of a double entry visa) the USED stamp maybe used or sometimes a line is drawn through the visa.

remember to check your admitted until date on your entry stamp everytime.

Some Thai embassies and consulates quote their visa fees on the Internet, but not the validity.

I obtained a tourist visa on six occasions from 1989 to 1999, always from the Thai Embassy in Bern, Switzerland, one of them for 2 entries, the others for single entry.

06 JUL 1989 1 entry validity 3 months

28 JUN 1990 2 entries validity 90 days

26 JUN 1992 1 entry validity 6 months

01 JUL 1994 1 entry validity 6 months

22 JAN 1998 1 entry validity 6 months

02 FEB 1999 1 entry validity 6 months

What, I wonder, is the current practice regarding the validity of the tourist visa? Is there even a guideline issued by the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs to be followed uniformly world-wide?

Tourist_visas.pdf

Edited by maestro

I got me a double entry tourist visa, and it does say entries TWO, but there are no separate dates for entry one and entry two.

The use by date is 90 days from visa issue for BOTH ENTRIES! Although I challenged this, they were firm in not giving me 180 days to use the second entry. In reality, I can use the second entry also within 90 days of visa issue, but just barely, so that is

This does, indeed, look strange. I’ve looked into this some more and I wonder if it depends on what you write on the visa application form.

Different Thai embassies/consulates use different application forms but all seem to have a field “Date of arrival in Thailand”. If I apply today for a tourist visa for 2 entries and I state 15 April 2006 as date of arrival (this being the date of my intended second entry), I guess the embassy would not tomorrow issue me the visa with a “utilize before” date of 27 February 2006.

I don’t remember what I used to write in that field for my applications, but seeing the unfortunate experience of Thaiquila I would advise all applicants to pay particular attention to it.

Current MFA website says 3 months.

Below is the Royal Thai Embassy Washington web site notice on validity:

VALIDITY OF VISA :-

Visa has a 3-month validity and , as a result, must be utilized within 3 months as from the date of issue (more than 3-month up to 1-year validity of visa may be granted on a case-by-case basis if more than one or multiple entry visa is issued.)

Edited by lopburi3

Below is the Royal Thai Embassy Washington web site notice on validity:
VALIDITY OF VISA :-

Visa has a 3-month validity and , as a result, must be utilized within 3 months as from the date of issue (more than 3-month up to 1-year validity of visa may be granted on a case-by-case basis if more than one or multiple entry visa is issued.)

Therefore, subject to negotiation for more than one entry, probably depending on one’s travel itinerary. Perhaps it is a good idea to explain one’s requirements in a covering letter when sending off the application.