Very Sad But Ironic.

I saw that on another forum.... It should also be stated that you should always ensure that your laces are done up......... It seems that his lace got caught in the chain! and when he looked down...when he looked up again the other bikes had braked and he panicked, slammed on the brakes and went down..

RIP

ps. Helmets save lives. wear yours.jap.gif

I saw that on another forum.... It should also be stated that you should always ensure that your laces are done up......... It seems that his lace got caught in the chain! and when he looked down...when he looked up again the other bikes had braked and he panicked, slammed on the brakes and went down..

RIP

I've heard that in the US, the obvious pressure is coming from the insurance bodies, which is kind of expected. Be interesting if 'none helmeted' riders were asked to sign a medical insurance waiver. Not that it would everr happen but interesting concept.

RIP

I've heard that in the US, the obvious pressure is coming from the insurance bodies, which is kind of expected. Be interesting if 'none helmeted' riders were asked to sign a medical insurance waiver. Not that it would everr happen but interesting concept.

Funny thing about the states, it's the worlds most safety conscious/legislated country competing with personal freedoms, and there is no clear winner. Many states still have no helmet law, and probably never will. Some anti-helmet groups have formed, like this ABATE, trying to show statistics claiming helmets kill. When I was last in Florida, I was surprised to learn they have actually abolished their helmet laws! I would say of the 40-50 riders I say, maybe 5 or 6 wore helmets.

As far as the insurance companies are concerned, the helmet laws were a huge hit on them because riders were surviving otherwise fatal crashes. I remember when the law passed in California my brother-in-law was doing his residency in an ER and the talk was about the increase in motorcycle accident victims they were getting. They were coming to the ER instead of the morgue.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I don't see why they fight the law. It really cost society as a whole when some of the horrific injuries leave them less than dead but not really living. In MANY cases, the taxpayer ends up footing the bill for kids being raised for the next 18 years. And of course, certain insurance categories are higher for everyone because of the payouts when injuries or death occur.

In a sense, it is a matter of personal freedom. In another, it is matter of everyone else paying because of your stupid decision. And lets face it, almost EVERYONE is going to go down, sooner or later. I have yet to meet a biker who hasn't had some spills.

Edited by kandahar

I can honestly say that in my almost twenty years of living here, I've NEVER got on a motorbike without a helmet. I used to race dirt bikes in the US. Riding on the streets here is much more scary. I stay tight left and check my mirrors all the time.

I can happily say that my wife and step daughter always wear one too. I didn't have to convince them. It's just something that the always do. I'm lucky. I don't have to worry quite a much about them.

RIP

In the US they didn't have government provided health insurance until recently, it was all privatized and your premiums were your own responsibility, based on a myriad of risk factors. Now that everyone else is footing the bill, it will be interesting how long the fight for the right of personal freedoms can hold off against the need to save costs for everyone. Many "risky" activities are already being scrutinized, such as smoking, some sports, etc, along with motorcycle helmets.

I hate the seat belt law, if there was ever anything to infringe upon personal freedom it would be this law.

Get out of my car big brother, you dont belong here.

Personally I could care less what other people do, no helmets, no seat belts. You can drive butt naked for all that it worth, but don't be feeling sorry for yourself when your face is partially ground off and you're still alive in a hospital permanently disfigured going through repeated surgeries, painful skin grafts etc. Same as the seat belts, if you don't make it through the windscreen and turn into a lacerated bloody, broken mess outside your vehicle, at least the steering wheel will act as a nice brake on your chest when your sternum is crushed and gets shoved into your spine.

True, it's all choice and I commend all for having their own stance on this issue. I'll keep wearing my riding gear and wearing my seat belt. For the ones that don't, I hope you have all the luck and skill in the world to avoid any kind off accident where a seat belt or helmet is needed, I sincerely do, as I don't wish ill on anyone.

Much of what people put on their head here, would probably do more damage than good, I surmise. Might get a nice fragment of shattered plastic stuck through the head :(

A proper helmet would cost more than their motorbike is worth, for many poor Thais.

RIP

In the US they didn't have government provided health insurance until recently, it was all privatized and your premiums were your own responsibility, based on a myriad of risk factors. Now that everyone else is footing the bill, it will be interesting how long the fight for the right of personal freedoms can hold off against the need to save costs for everyone. Many "risky" activities are already being scrutinized, such as smoking, some sports, etc, along with motorcycle helmets.

Obamacare, (The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) which is what you are referring to, has not been enacted yet and won't be fully enacted until 2018, and that's if the GOP and Tea Partiers don't block it's funding, which is likely.

It's amazing to me that being from the wealthiest and supposedly most advanced country in the world it wasn't until I came to Thailand that I had free universal health-care. We are woefully behind in that regard.

Garry: Same as the seat belts, if you don't make it through the windscreen and turn into a lacerated bloody, broken mess outside your vehicle, at least the steering wheel will act as a nice brake on your chest when your sternum is crushed and gets shoved into your spine.

How long since your been in a dealership dude? Most cars and pick-ups in the West have standard front airbags for the last 15 to 20 years!

Edited by BSJ

A friend of mine refuses to wear a helmet..Says his riding skills 'are better than most'. Rides his bike pissed as a newt at night time between bars. I pointed out he couldn't avoid random pot holes and sand drifts for ever.. But, apparently he knows 'where all the pot holes are'. whistling.gif.

He advised me against wearing a helmet because i'd look uncool wearing one wink.gif. I have noticed this attitude quite a bit on my thailand visits.

Garry: Same as the seat belts, if you don't make it through the windscreen and turn into a lacerated bloody, broken mess outside your vehicle, at least the steering wheel will act as a nice brake on your chest when your sternum is crushed and gets shoved into your spine.

How long since your been in a dealership dude? Most cars and pick-ups in the West have standard front airbags for the last 15 to 20 years!

Wow, thanks for that most informative insight. :lol:

I obviously misinterpreted the fine print about airbags and how I understood the meaning of what is embossed onto them 'SRS' -secondary restraint system. I had always understood that SRS airbags are a back up to a Primary restraint system eg: a seat belt. Typically all airbags of the modern era won't deploy unless a seat belt is being used by the passenger or driver to arm/prime the SRS system. Yes I even know that some airbags systems can be deactivated by the user: pregnant women, small children etc.

So your point is?