Thai Immigration Crackdown On Ed Visas

george

You're either a student, or you're working -- in my opinion.

I think most countries allow students to work a certain number of hours whilst studying.

Not the UK (in private colleges) and not the US (except through very limited programs on site at universities -- or when internship is required for a degree) --- Thais is for foreign students at least. If you are a native there are no rules about working while attending school.

Both the countries listed have exceptions (so does South Africa and many others: holders of South African study visas may not engage in full time employment they are permitted to work part-time for no more than 20 hours per week.)- Thailand has none :lol:

Correct --- Thailand has none. The UK has massively changed their policies in the last few months. The US is extremely selective about allowing foreign students to work. Thailand will allow you to get the proper visa to work AND be a student. They will not allow you to work while on a student visa. (BTW -- if your previous illegal employment in Thailand comes up .. it could have bearing on your future in Thailand.)

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the bureaucrat just examined his visas and decided that going to school for 6 years was too much education and stamped cancelled? What lunacy and abuse of power! I am about to enter a PhD program in Thailand that allows 7 years to complete. I doubt it will take that long, but will an immigration officer without consulting the school or examining the situation arbitrarily decide I have been in school too long? Have Thais never heard of life long learning?

Are you saying that you will take 7 years to learn how to open a book and read the first sentence?

Because that is basically what the man in the OP failed to do.

Pla yay geen pla lek
So what the answer?
A  ปลาใหญ่กินปลาเล็ก<br />B ก็ อย่าใส่ในถังเดียวกัน

lor? (หรอ)

Would have done :)

Edited by badmedicine

Under 50 --- working in Thailand .. "financially well off" ---- form a company. Pay taxes. Get legal.

In west you can retire much early and get pension

Police, fireman, army can all retire with pension at age 40

I retire age 45, why I need to form company when I already retire?

Not everyone want work forever as unqualified English teacher in third world country.

So stay in the west?

(Nice to know that peoples tax-money [in the west] allow those professions to retire at 40 btw, over-payed and over-benefited comes to mind.)

Who cares? Really?

This 'crackdown' will last all of 5 mins. People are living here on tourist visas, ed visas, etc. There is always a way to stay here. How hard would it be for immigration to look at someone's passport or record of arrivals, and see they are not real tourists? How hard would it be to check attendance records at schools? Jesus! Go to local schools and ask to see foreign teacher's work permits. You'd have a f*****g field day. Why are the authorities not doing this? Well, maybe once in a blue moon if it's a kiddie fiddler. Ask yourself that question, and there's a real reason.

This is a loophole like any other. How many of us pay the full 400 Baht to do a quick illegal u-turn instead of 100 Baht directly to the police officer (I'm sure some of you integrated foreigners get it for far less) How many of us are buying fake polo shirts, etc? Costing big companies how much money? Thaivisa even advertises girls to come to your room to give you a massage. I'm sure nothing illegal goes on when the lovely girl comes over. Just don't mention it and it's not illegal. Another 'loophole'.

What do I offer Thailand apart from working here legally? Absolutely sweet F.A! What does/did my Thai wife add to England when she lived/lives there apart from her cooking skills? Absolutely sweet F.A! She makes a British citizen happy, and I in turn make a Thai citizen happy.

Until last year the same method was used to get British visa by many, then Immigration found out. Now such schools need a license and have to keep an attendance register.

But I agree there should be some form of visa for those rich enough to self support but under retirement age.

You admit you are abusing the ED-visa system.

You admit you are working here without a Work Permit.

You wonder why people are ok with Immigration doing a crackdown???

I've gone through three employers before I found an honest one that actually gave me the visa they promised in the interview. What are you suppose to do when every month the boss is saying, "this month is the month you get it" and it never arrives? So you go on the Ed visa and buy yourself more time until the paper work is sorted and you can finally get your non-b.

You are simply oblivious to the problems because you sit there with your retirement, marriage or non-b that you were lucky enough to get from an honest company and have no idea about how complicated and difficult it is for everyone else who wasn't so lucky but are determined to stay by any legitimate means with their loved ones.

To all those who replied to me earlier, the main point of my post is that those who think it's a "good thing" that they are clamping down on visas are being incredibly ignorant of the reasons as to why people do this.

Sure, there may be some undesirable people who abuse the system, but then there are also LOTS of undesirable people with legitimate visas (retirement, marriage, work, whatever). I just want to live here with my girlfriend - why on earth would some of you guys have a problem with me doing that? You're worse than the most xenophobic of Thais if you are against me doing that.

But regardless, mark my words... It may be us this time but the reality is that the powers that be in this country don't want ANY of us living here. One day, they'll find a way to clamp down on your visas too. And then it will be the more astute people like me who are laughing, as we will find some way to stay here, while all you fools who think everything has to be done "by the book" will have to go home with your tails between your legs.

It will be nothing less than you deserve for wishing misfortune on others.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself.

There's a reason we have very few rights in this country, it's mostly because we laugh at each others misfortune rather then protest it and support each other.

Edited by hungryhippo

This is exactly the kind of selfish attitude I am talking about - "so stay in the west?"

I don't understand why some westerners living in Thailand would want others to be kicked out? It's a disgusting, shameful way to think. What a nasty person you must be.

Under 50 --- working in Thailand .. "financially well off" ---- form a company. Pay taxes. Get legal.

In west you can retire much early and get pension

Police, fireman, army can all retire with pension at age 40

I retire age 45, why I need to form company when I already retire?

Not everyone want work forever as unqualified English teacher in third world country.

So stay in the west?

(Nice to know that peoples tax-money [in the west] allow those professions to retire at 40 btw, over-payed and over-benefited comes to mind.)

Couldn't agree more!

What's funny is that, given the prevalence of such attitudes on here I have never once heard anyone tell me I should be kicked out for not having the "correct" visa in real life! Bunch of snobby cowards!

There appears to be an overwhelming divide between the under 50's here and over, a rather disappointing "them and us" heard mentality. It almost reminds me of the red and yellow divide, however there is no reason to wear a colour to shows one's side.

The over 50 will be (in many cases) smugly holding hands with a woman half their age, deluded that he is Thai more then Thai. Overweight fat balding person that can spout I am entitled to be here

for i have worked most of my life and am over 50. The work may be uneducated manual labour in many cases but that is besides the point in the "other sides minds".

Delusional, unapproachable and very unfriendly farangs with retirement visas, Thaier than Thai sporting Buddha necklaces and a "I Love Thailand" t-shirt really are, in my opinion, the laughing stock of Asia.

:)

I am under 50 :) It is "them versus us" but not based upon age. It is based upon legitimacy. Get a visa, and follow the rules and don't try and scam your way through and I don't think anyone has an issue. On the other hand, if you are using an Ed visa but not attending school, you are not legitimately here and many people feel that people scamming their way through things is what causes further issues and tightening of the visa regulations.

There's another angle on this, of course, which is the local BiB have realized that there's a cash cow they've overlooked milking.  Are they really going to shut down a school and revoke all its students visas (even the genuine ones), or are they more likely to now lean on the schoolowners for a much fatter backhander than they'd get from just hassling the fake students themselves.  

Thailand has long been known for its entrepreneurial people, and rightly so... ;)

Edited by badmedicine

plus it sucks to be in thailand and not speak thai now i understand what some people say about us while smiling at us.. you would be surprised at what some say..

Its funny you should say that...

i have lived here 7 years now - i'm not great at speaking Thai but i can understand a fair bit...

But its just like you said...

One of the main reasons i never wanted to learn Thai is - i really do not want to know what they are talking about...

Because i know dam_n well that they can blatently talk about you and say some really nasty and ruse stuff that may just make me hate the place that little bit more...

I guess i like those fake smiles and thinking they are all so kind and beautiful and peaceful...

Ignorance is bliss - and thats why im still here...

That works when you are retired and don't really want to interact with people but not when you are the manager of a company and need to manage the staff...

Correct --- Thailand has none. The UK has massively changed their policies in the last few months. The US is extremely selective about allowing foreign students to work. Thailand will allow you to get the proper visa to work AND be a student. They will not allow you to work while on a student visa. (BTW -- if your previous illegal employment in Thailand comes up .. it could have bearing on your future in Thailand.)

I think we need to be clear here... I think it is silly not to allow bona fide students to work at least part-time. That is my opinion on the matter. Some countries allow it, and others don't.

I wonder what bearing my past work as a teacher would have on my future? (not being sarcastic) I mean, I haven't taught for years now and teaching has nothing to do with my future job in Thailand either.

I found that (possibly) the majority of English teachers are working illegally in Thailand and do border runs.

Maybe there could be a link between GPA and part-time work entitlement. Thailand benefits from allowing smart, hard workers to be involved in their economy.

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

What do you expect the outcome to be if foreigners did the same to stay in your country of birth?

So what visa do you have? I can't get one because I'm not a teacher, nor do I work for a Thai company. I work online (and before anyone says anything about this, my company is registered in Hong Kong and I do pay taxes there).

There is no visa available for me, so I have to do something else. I actually even attended the Thai lessons to start with, they were terrible lessons, absolutely no point in going as you don't learn anything.

Couldn't agree more!

What's funny is that, given the prevalence of such attitudes on here I have never once heard anyone tell me I should be kicked out for not having the "correct" visa in real life! Bunch of snobby cowards!

There appears to be an overwhelming divide between the under 50's here and over, a rather disappointing "them and us" heard mentality. It almost reminds me of the red and yellow divide, however there is no reason to wear a colour to shows one's side.

The over 50 will be (in many cases) smugly holding hands with a woman half their age, deluded that he is Thai more then Thai. Overweight fat balding person that can spout I am entitled to be here

for i have worked most of my life and am over 50. The work may be uneducated manual labour in many cases but that is besides the point in the "other sides minds".

Delusional, unapproachable and very unfriendly farangs with retirement visas, Thaier than Thai sporting Buddha necklaces and a "I Love Thailand" t-shirt really are, in my opinion, the laughing stock of Asia.

:)

I am under 50 :) It is "them versus us" but not based upon age. It is based upon legitimacy. Get a visa, and follow the rules and don't try and scam your way through and I don't think anyone has an issue. On the other hand, if you are using an Ed visa but not attending school, you are not legitimately here and many people feel that people scamming their way through things is what causes further issues and tightening of the visa regulations.

Irrelevant. In my country of birth we have millions of foreigners and I don't have a problem with them staying. I don't even care about their immigration status.

The world belongs to all of us!!

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

What do you expect the outcome to be if foreigners did the same to stay in your country of birth?

So the bureaucrat just examined his visas and decided that going to school for 6 years was too much education and stamped cancelled? What lunacy and abuse of power! I am about to enter a PhD program in Thailand that allows 7 years to complete. I doubt it will take that long, but will an immigration officer without consulting the school or examining the situation arbitrarily decide I have been in school too long? Have Thais never heard of life long learning?

You shouldn't have a problem with a PhD program they realise that it can take some time, besides doing a PhD is hardly the same as doing a language course!

There is no visa available for me, so I have to do something else. I actually even attended the Thai lessons to start with, they were terrible lessons, absolutely no point in going as you don't learn anything.
Why blame the school instead of yourself for not checking out what you were buying before coughing up the cash? If you wanted to learn Thai - and I don't understand why anyone would be SO keen to stay here yet so AGAINST learning the local language - it's not hard to find a school. There's lots of good ones. Go have a look in the Thaivisa lang' forum.

I've been to several schools and none of them are very good. And more to the point, my Thai is quite good already. I don't really need to learn.

I readily admit I am abusing the system, I just don't see why so many others have a problem with it? How does it affect their lives?

Why blame the school instead of yourself for not checking out what you were buying before coughing up the cash? If you wanted to learn Thai - and I don't understand why anyone would be SO keen to stay here yet so AGAINST learning the local language - it's not hard to find a school. There's lots of good ones. Go have a look in the Thaivisa lang' forum.

Irrelevant. In my country of birth we have millions of foreigners and I don't have a problem with them staying. I don't even care about their immigration status.

True that. People have been doing it in the UK for years. If they're looking for a better life and abide by the laws, you can't really find many flaws in their motives or actions. I didn't come to Thailand for the money. I could earn a lot more in the UAE. I came here 'cos I like living here. I am also looking for a better life.

While I fully support closing a loophole that allows abuse.. It also has to be said that this cannot be on some arbitrary whim of a desk officer with no grading, assessment, appeal, or standardization. As of course the next thing is all ED visa people will need to pay a small fee, to administer the test (and ensure a pass).

Put in place controls, sure, but clear and transparent controls.

I agree but in this case mentioned that after 6 years, the guy should have more than just "Bar Room Thai" knowledge. The guy deserved to have his ticket canceled.

Can someone please explain how the Africans are getting visa's. I was in Pratunam this week, it was overloaded..they have taken over the only nice restaurants there, in fact for the 3 days I was there I couldn't get a table. I asked one or two how long they'd been here, 7 years, no work, sit around coffee shops day and night..said they get 60 day tourist visa's with 30day extension out of Laos.???

They get them the same way as every other 'bum' around. Saw several when I was in the Thai embassy in Malaysia etc. So when the government announces stricter rules against back-to-back Tourist visas they are not aiming only for you 'white' foreigners, but also (and sometimes, even more so) after those from countries in the region or other parts of the world than you.

This is exactly the kind of selfish attitude I am talking about - "so stay in the west?"

I don't understand why some westerners living in Thailand would want others to be kicked out? It's a disgusting, shameful way to think. What a nasty person you must be.

I don't understand why you have a selfish attitude that everyone should bend over to your will just because you have no wish to be legal.

Because, lets face it, the rules are known. If is your choice to come here and try to avoid them anyway.

So what are you complaining about?

It isn't like the previously allowed it and then removed the ability to stay without any requirements whatsoever...

"You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well" - As is the right of the Thai government and people. We don't tolerate visitors to stay in our countries by using suspect visas why should you expect the Thais to?

Just wondering why 10 pages of useless arguments on something full of common sense:

"Education "ED" Visas Holders Must Attend Classes"

Ain't that clear enough ?!?

Always wonder about these sort of posts. Why add to a discussion when your complaint is its long enough already... ;)

In my birth country we have a BIG problem with illegal foreigners and I have a BIG problem with it and is VERY relevant.. The world does not belong to all of us so long as nations have borders. You play by the rules or pick up your toys and go home.

This is Thailand. It is not the US, UK AU, JP, KR or any other country. Their country, their rules. Got an issue? Go see someone who cares or go home.