How Do You Get Around Phuket Cheaply

harry8292

And there was me thinking that the vast majority of bad driving practices by both cars and motorbikes was committed by Thais.........am I wrong?

you r both right, but most Thais go with the flow, while pink farang are in the middle of the road struggeling to balance their rented Clicks

Riding a bike in Thailand

1. Get a Thai drivers lisence for bike

2. Get a proper 3rd part Insurance, compulsory covers nothing

3. Go with the flow, and make sure others understand where you want to go

4. Green light indicates you can check if its good to go

5. Stay in left lane or on shoulder

6. Check tyre inflation, and inflate according to load, 2 pink fat ones is overload for most scoots, inflate accordingly

7. helmet and even if its hot, consider to wear clothes/jeans to cover most of your body.

8. daytime high beam makes you more visible

9. Do not try a 4 lane u-turn, pull over on left shoulder and wait for 4 lanes to be clear

10. avoid right turns, especially on dual lane roads. To easy to be run over from behind while waiting

stay away from the rear brake until you really have practiced a lot how to balance it

Keep the rubber side down :)

Good advice, number 10 says avoid turning right, you have to turn right some time other wise you will go round in circles!! when turning right you just have to stay alert.

Must say, many times I have been sitting at a red light when a falang has gone through and at speed, one day it will catch up with them and as an ex Fireman I would hate to be in a bad accident here, the emergency services here have no idea how to deal with an injured person, good luck to all of you that think it is clever running a red light!!!

Edited by kenny999

Good advice, number 10 says avoid turning right, you have to turn right some time other wise you will go round in circles!!

If you only turn left you can still end up going where you want to go. Three left turns will get you there. :)

you r both right, but most Thais go with the flow, while pink farang are in the middle of the road struggeling to balance their rented Clicks

6. Check tyre inflation, and inflate according to load, 2 pink fat ones is overload for most scoots, inflate accordingly

7. helmet and even if its hot, consider to wear clothes/jeans to cover most of your body.

9. Do not try a 4 lane u-turn, pull over on left shoulder and wait for 4 lanes to be clear

10. avoid right turns, especially on dual lane roads. To easy to be run over from behind while waiting

stay away from the rear brake until you really have practiced a lot how to balance it

You forgot to mention you must keep your credit card on you so you can pay your way out of gaol. :) :)

And there was me thinking that the vast majority of bad driving practices by both cars and motorbikes was committed by Thais.........am I wrong?

It is obviously, but that's because the vast majority of people here are Thais, so it stands to reason that they will be the main offenders.

The thing is, when you have driven/ridden on Phuket for any length of time, you adapt and you understand how things work, the same way you did when you were driving in your own country. You know instinctively what random and dangerous thing the driver in front is going to do, before they even knew they were going to do it themselves. New driver/riders don't, and drive exactly as they would back home, and it doesn't work.

Anyway, proportionally I would say that there are more bad farang drivers than Thai on Phuket, simply becasue the Thais are following their rules, which a lot of Farang don't understand and are not used to. Saying the Thais are dangerous drivers because they don't follow the Uk Highway code or the equivelent elsewhere, doesn't make any sense. (I'm not saying there aren't lots of bad Thai drivers, just they need to be judged based on different rules, not those that we are used to back home).

The turn left/right/straight ahead signs at traffic lights are written in English, but how many times do you sit behind Farang who think they have to stop at the red light? If you have a Western driving license, you shouldn't be making mistakes like that anywhere in the world, following road signs doesn't change just because you are in a different country.

Good advice, number 10 says avoid turning right, you have to turn right some time other wise you will go round in circles!!

If you only turn left you can still end up going where you want to go. Three left turns will get you there. :)

Really 3 left turns will get you to where you are going, must avoid the drugs you take!!! lol

I have to half disagree with this one. I stay in the middle to the right-hand side of the left-hand lane and never ride on the shoulder.

This is because ALL motorbikes coming out of a side-road and turning left NEVER look first.

Riding on the shoulder is an invitation to be taken out by these bikes, or, cars that emerge quickly and stop half in the soi and half on the main road.

yep, in Kata, I never make a right turn at Patak

a few safe left turns takes me same place

I have to half disagree with this one. I stay in the middle to the right-hand side of the left-hand lane and never ride on the shoulder.

This is because ALL motorbikes coming out of a side-road and turning left NEVER look first.

Riding on the shoulder is an invitation to be taken out by these bikes, or, cars that emerge quickly and stop half in the soi and half on the main road.

agreed in southern part of Phuket

disagree on fast Highways with large shoulders for slow (80kmh) bikes

most importantly, stay away from right lane as it is illegal for bikes and you will be run over by a concrete truck or a black fortuna ;)

The words 'Transport' and 'Cheaply' mixed in with Phuket does not work any which way you mix it up.

Oxymoron central.

3000 baht for auto bike and 1000 baht for fuel takes you more than 1000km around Phuket a month, anywhere at any time.

Would like to now where transportation cost less

You forgot to mention you must keep your credit card on you so you can pay your way out of gaol. :) :)

If you comply with above, no CC needed. #2 Insurance covers 200k bailbond if you cause a fatal accident

>>you adapt and you understand how things work, the same way you did when you were driving in your own country.

Just what I tell my daughter,"monkey see, monkey do".She asks why are 99% of drivers so bad here, and then when we're in the west, why do the majority of people drive in their own lanes, signal properly, wait at red lights and generally obey the traffic laws. I tell her "monkey see monkey do" for both situations.

3000 baht for auto bike and 1000 baht for fuel takes you more than 1000km around Phuket a month, anywhere at any time.

Would like to now where transportation cost less

Without even common insurance in case of an accident and at risk of losing limbs or worse?

Also at the mercy of the local law enforcement who will just set the nets at the circle and watch the tea money roll in so you forgot to factor at least four 400baht fines onto that monthly tally.

Motorbikes aren't for everyone.

Without even common insurance in case of an accident and at risk of losing limbs or worse?

Also at the mercy of the local law enforcement who will just set the nets at the circle and watch the tea money roll in so you forgot to factor at least four 400baht fines onto that monthly tally.

a decade on bikes in Phuket, daily past +8 years, thats some 2800 days, never been asked for teamoney by local law enforcement. Riding with valid DL, lights on, tax visible and helmet on, you do not get fined in Phuket

as for Insurance, anyone outside their home countrys Insurance cover, should make sure they have valid medical/accident-Insurance for where they travel and/or live. Doesnt need to go with the vehicle, in most cases it does not. The individueal needs to be Insured.

but I agree, motorbikes are not for everybody. Those not comfortable can rent a car for 12-15k a month, or buy a new Nissan March at 375k baht

a decade on bikes in Phuket, daily past +8 years, thats some 2800 days, never been asked for teamoney by local law enforcement. Riding with valid DL, lights on, tax visible and helmet on, you do not get fined in Phuket

as for Insurance, anyone outside their home countrys Insurance cover, should make sure they have valid medical/accident-Insurance for where they travel and/or live. Doesnt need to go with the vehicle, in most cases it does not. The individueal needs to be Insured.

but I agree, motorbikes are not for everybody. Those not comfortable can rent a car for 12-15k a month, or buy a new Nissan March at 375k baht

I wasn't asking about you, a long time resident and daily rider with police connections through the Farang 'I'm bored' tourist police.

Think of the 2 week holidayers who have never ridden a bike or licensed to ride one for that matter.

What about elderly and children tourists?

I saw a guy getting fined for tax not being paid on a rented bike and having it confiscated.

Just think of his nightmare that ensued, probably had to pay the renter for the confiscated untaxed bike.

For someone inexperienced and unlicensed, the costs will add up in fines and potentially damages of the rented bike.

15 years driving here in Thailand and I've never paid any tea money. Having a valid Thai DL, correct tax & insurance helps a lot. I have been fined a few times, but only because I was in the wrong (speeding/blocking a left turn at light/no tax disc displayed).

Having personal accident insurance is a MUST requirement if driving a bike.

15 years driving here in Thailand and I've never paid any tea money. Having a valid Thai DL, correct tax & insurance helps a lot. I have been fined a few times, but only because I was in the wrong (speeding/blocking a left turn at light/no tax disc displayed).

Having personal accident insurance is a MUST requirement if driving a bike.

Long time resident with experience.

Tell that to Jack and Jill on their package deal Phuket holiday with no experience on Thai roads let alone on a motorbike.

Yes it's the cheapest but not if you just take one wrong turn, literally.

Tell that to Jack and Jill on their package deal Phuket holiday with no experience on Thai roads let alone on a motorbike.

Yes, I agree that hiring a motor bike is not the best idea for a novice tourist to Thailand. Especially those with zero m/bike driving experience.

>>you adapt and you understand how things work, the same way you did when you were driving in your own country.

Just what I tell my daughter,"monkey see, monkey do".She asks why are 99% of drivers so bad here, and then when we're in the west, why do the majority of people drive in their own lanes, signal properly, wait at red lights and generally obey the traffic laws. I tell her "monkey see monkey do" for both situations.

Fair point except the signal bit. In the UK a huge amont of people don't know where their indicators are. :annoyed: .

For someone inexperienced and unlicensed, the costs will add up in fines and potentially damages of the rented bike.

That's why everybody is saying make sure you have a lisence before you ride. And I for one, am saying don't ride unless you have experience. I'm critical of bike riding in Phuket, but only for unqualified, inexperienced drivers. You are being unnecessarily critical, and when it comes to tea money, giving people wrong information. If you get a ticket for no helmet or no license, it's not called tea money, it's called getting a ticket. ;)

Yes, I agree that hiring a motor bike is not the best idea for a novice tourist to Thailand. Especially those with zero m/bike driving experience.

Not only is it not one of the best ideas, it's probably one of the worst. To me it's the same as renting a jet ski. I have no problem with people doing it, just don't come whining about it when it all goes tits up. There is enough info out there for people to make an informed decision about such things. They need to ive with the consequences, because it will be no bodies fault but theirs.

I wasn't asking about you, a long time resident and daily rider with police connections through the Farang 'I'm bored' tourist police.

Think of the 2 week holidayers who have never ridden a bike or licensed to ride one for that matter.

What about elderly and children tourists?

I saw a guy getting fined for tax not being paid on a rented bike and having it confiscated.

Just think of his nightmare that ensued, probably had to pay the renter for the confiscated untaxed bike.

Well as most of us, I did come here as a tourist, a decade ago.

and by posting here including my above 10 step advice for riding a bike in Thailand, I hope I am making present and future tourists aware of how to use a bike safely. Most of them will ride a bike during their stay nomatter what you recomend, so lets help them be safe

Topic tilte is how to get around Phuket cheaply. On price nothing beats an auto scoot, rented or purchased. Lets contribute to those using one stay as safe as possible

BTW I am not a tourist police, I am a Highwaypolice Volunteer, assisting people having traffic accidents, and more than 2/3 of all HWPV in Phuket are Thai nationals, not farang

Really 3 left turns will get you to where you are going, must avoid the drugs you take!!! lol

4 left turns will get you were you were going, better stop drinking!!! lol