Buffet Lunch/Dinner

chuang

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many. I take my family to the Korean BBQ Buffet near the post office just across from the Moat. I think it is 140 Bt. a person. Some is cooked and some you cook at the table. I also like the buffet at the Shangra LA. It is expensive at just under 400 Bt. However with all the choices and wonderful food I do call it a "Value for the money"

Khun Churn on Nimmanhaemin, Soi 17. It's 99 baht for lunch. Be aware that it's strictly vegetarian. It's FANTASTIC, though.

Khun Churn on Nimmanhaemin Soi 17

Not being a vegetarian I still think it is a great buffet and will go back.

If money is no object the holiday inn or I have been told La Meridian are good choices also. The Empress is probably the best over all good selection reasonably priced.

I am sure you will get many more good suggestions.

Korean BBQ sounds good. Can you give a little more info on the location?

There are many. I take my family to the Korean BBQ Buffet near the post office just across from the Moat. I think it is 140 Bt. a person. Some is cooked and some you cook at the table. I also like the buffet at the Shangra LA. It is expensive at just under 400 Bt. However with all the choices and wonderful food I do call it a "Value for the money"

Khun Churn on Nimmanhaemin, Soi 17. It's 99 baht for lunch. Be aware that it's strictly vegetarian. It's FANTASTIC, though.

Agreed, one of Chiang Mai's bargains.

The Grand View still remains good value for meat eaters, lots of variety, soups, salads, farang and Thai plus a fair dessert selection.

I am guessing he is talking about mu gata, (?) maybe the one near Suan Priung post office. outside the southwest corner of the moat.

What a let down.... could have gone for some good bulgoki....

I am guessing he is talking about mu gata, (?) maybe the one near Suan Priung post office. outside the southwest corner of the moat.

Holiday Inn has lowered their price for the lunch buffet for the low season to 199 baht. It's a fantastic buffet. Don't expect their Sunday buffet; in fact when I first inquired about the weekday lunch buffet they said it was "only Thai food". What I think they meant was that "it is made with only Thai ingredients". Don't expect imported cheese, smoked salmon, caviar and whatever else they have at that fabled Sunday buffet (can you tell I've never been to the Sunday buffet?) But, they do offer western dishes made with Thai-sourced ingredients at their weekday 199 baht buffet. It's definitely a step above the Grandview, but the price is a step above Grandview, too.

Nice to have such reasonably priced lunch buffets in nicely elegant venues on each side of town.

Nice to have such reasonably priced lunch buffets in nicely elegant venues on each side of town.

It certainly is Nancy and thanks for the info.

199 Baht for a wide variety buffet, in the Holiday Inn surroundings or 199 baht for a plated meat and two veg in a cafe.........no contest.

Edited by uptheos

The Empress does a daily one to - can't remember the price, but it's cheap - very good layout with Thai, Japanese and European food and deserts. Can also join the VIP Club (just a discount card really) ang get 15% off the bill.

Empress price was 250b per person last time I went. But that was a year ago, it may have gone up or down since then.

Discount card cost 250b and lasts a year, so as long as you eat there enough to cover the cost of the card its worthwhile.

Trouble is I found the setting akin to a British holiday camp dining room, I prefer the Holiday Inn

Empress price was 250b per person last time I went. But that was a year ago, it may have gone up or down since then.

Discount card cost 250b and lasts a year, so as long as you eat there enough to cover the cost of the card its worthwhile.

Trouble is I found the setting akin to a British holiday camp dining room, I prefer the Holiday Inn

I always sit outside by the bar rather than inside at the tables there - more relaxed table layout and a bar! They do a 2 for 1 on cocktails too :D

chuang

re ... Anyone knows value-for-money buffet for lunch.

if you mean cheap ?

you could try this 69 baht place for breakfast , lunch or dinner near this tesco lotus on the outside of the north moat

and the holiday inns buffet as nancy l says is still 199 baht

dave2

post-42592-0-23355100-1310353815_thumb.j

post-42592-0-16367600-1310353860_thumb.j

post-42592-0-50986500-1310353908_thumb.j

post-42592-0-46352300-1310353956_thumb.j

There is also the Why Not restaurant in soi 11 Nimmanhaemim Road where you get an excellent all you can eat italian buffet for 189baht

Except for the last Saturday of the month when they have their deluxe buffet for considerably higher

What a let down.... could have gone for some good bulgoki....

There is a Korean restaurant on Huay Kaew that I have heard is pretty good (although I doubt they have a buffet).

Also, its good to know there is the Food Festival coming up at Central Aiport Plaza this week, there will be alot of different international foods there.

There is also the Why Not restaurant in soi 11 Nimmanhaemim Road where you get an excellent all you can eat italian buffet for 189baht

Except for the last Saturday of the month when they have their deluxe buffet for considerably higher

I tried to book a group of 15-18 for lunch at Why Not for August. Sergio wasn't there when I came for lunch a couple weeks ago, so I wrote down all the specifics on a piece of paper, at the suggestion of the Thai lady who seemed to be in charge. Date, number of people, how we wanted the aircon room, my name, phone number and email address. I also wrote asking him to contact me to confirm. They did not have a business card, but gave me the phone number for the restaurant and for Sergio.

When I hadn't heard anything for 10 days, I called many, many times. Either it was no answer, someone who only spoke Thai or "call back in an hour". Finally I reached Sergio and he said "oh yes, they told me you called. We have decided not to do lunch buffet anymore unless you are a group of more than 30 people".

I wonder if he was ever going to call me or if he would have had 15-18 angry ladies show up for lunch in early August only to find him closed.

I enjoyed the lunch I had there, but never plan to return due to the unprofessional way they handle reservations. No website, no email, no business cards, no returned calls! No one who speaks English when they actually do answer the phone.

Edited by NancyL

I tried to book a group of 15-18 for lunch at Why Not for August. Sergio wasn't there when I came for lunch a couple weeks ago, so I wrote down all the specifics on a piece of paper, at the suggestion of the Thai lady who seemed to be in charge. Date, number of people, how we wanted the aircon room, my name, phone number and email address. I also wrote asking him to contact me to confirm. They did not have a business card, but gave me the phone number for the restaurant and for Sergio.

When I hadn't heard anything for 10 days, I called many, many times. Either it was no answer, someone who only spoke Thai or "call back in an hour". Finally I reached Sergio and he said "oh yes, they told me you called. We have decided not to do lunch buffet anymore unless you are a group of more than 30 people".

I wonder if he was ever going to call me or if he would have had 15-18 angry ladies show up for lunch in early August only to find him closed.

I enjoyed the lunch I had there, but never plan to return due to the unprofessional way they handle reservations. No website, no email, no business cards, no returned calls! No one who speaks English when they actually do answer the phone.

Nancy your in Thailand dear

you were very smart to keep checking because it would have been very bad if you had shown up and they had failed to be able to serve you, but try to not let it get to you

Just figure a cost of living in Thailand is double and triple checking things :)

Yes, of course I know I'm in Thailand. I've been studying the Thai language for 2.5 years and made an attempt to talk with the staff over the phone in Thai. They weren't speaking standard Bangkok Thai and made no effort to understand mine. I've managed to place complex room service orders, in Thai, in the past, so I know people in the hospitality business can understand me when they make an effort and know how to speak standard Thai themselves. The fact of the matter is that the management practices are bad when it comes to reservations. When I finally managed to catch Sergio he acknowledged that he had received my written message.

Yes, of course I know I'm in Thailand. I've been studying the Thai language for 2.5 years and made an attempt to talk with the staff over the phone in Thai. They weren't speaking standard Bangkok Thai and made no effort to understand mine. I've managed to place complex room service orders, in Thai, in the past, so I know people in the hospitality business can understand me when they make an effort and know how to speak standard Thai themselves. The fact of the matter is that the management practices are bad when it comes to reservations. When I finally managed to catch Sergio he acknowledged that he had received my written message.

Nancy, that was a bad experience, and if it were to take place in the States, I would have reacted the same way as there are plenty of other place from which to choose. However, the Why Not restaurant serves consistently good food at an exceptionally reasonable price. The deserts are very very good. Being in Thailand, I have learned to give a lot of slack and never get worked up about a seemingly uncaring, unprofessional attitude. Every time I have been there and spoken to Sergio, he's been an excellent host. Perhaps he was having a difficult day. If I were you I'd give it another try.

Coming from Airport plaza, going into town, Past Toyota, past the Main Chiang Mai Post office, driving range, and a gas station, and just as you get into the ring outside the moat, on the left side next to the football Soccer feild is the place. Open air and seats 2000 - 3000 people. I go with my wife once a month but not eat lunch first.

Sounds like the moo ga tat/koong ga tat. I was there about a year ago, but don't remember it having any Korean food.. Has it changed?

Coming from Airport plaza, going into town, Past Toyota, past the Main Chiang Mai Post office, driving range, and a gas station, and just as you get into the ring outside the moat, on the left side next to the football Soccer feild is the place. Open air and seats 2000 - 3000 people. I go with my wife once a month but not eat lunch first.

I have been going there 3 times in the last 3/4 weeks and I really enjoy this buffet for my western fix.....nice food...grilled salmon, pork, sausage, beef....nice salad bar with olives, parma ham, tomato and mozzarella and various other meats.....various Italian pasta dishes veg lasagne, chicken lasagne, pizza....about 10 different hot pasta type dishes....sweets are home made ice cream/sorbet, tiramisu, cheescake etc. Relaxed atmosphere. This applies to the lunchtime buffet, only been at lunch.

The Holiday Inn is more up market (food-wise), only been on a Sunday, bit steep at 650 baht but a great selection from roast turkey and the trimmings to lobster, other seafood....basically everything, but you want to get there at 12.00 to make the most of your 650 baht! Bit of a 'stuffy' atmosphere, in my opinion.

But the best has to be the Korean BBQ down the alley next to Hillside Condo's.....huge selection, best Korean BBQ in CM in my opinion, for choice....189 baht includes all drinks (about 20 varieties, soft drinks only, alcohol is available at extra cost)....as for dishes, must be 60-70 easily....cooked food and stuff to cook on your table......place holds about 1500-2000 people, best time is get there early around 6.30pm and take your time, busiest day is Sunday with 100's of Thai familys/friends going there. Great value, fun atmosphere, albeit a bit manic!

Edited by kjhbigv

I have been going there 3 times in the last 3/4 weeks and I really enjoy this buffet for my western fix.....nice food...grilled salmon, pork, sausage, beef....nice salad bar with olives, parma ham, tomato and mozzarella and various other meats.....various Italian pasta dishes veg lasagne, chicken lasagne, pizza....about 10 different hot pasta type dishes....sweets are home made ice cream/sorbet, tiramisu, cheescake etc. Relaxed atmosphere. This applies to the lunchtime buffet, only been at lunch.

Nancy wrote in post 16:

"Finally I reached Sergio and he said "oh yes, they told me you called. We have decided not to do lunch buffet anymore unless you are a group of more than 30 people".

Now I'm confused, do they or do they not still do lunch buffet?

Maybe I'm missing something....I usually am. huh.gif

Edited by uptheos

Now I'm confused, do they or do they not still do lunch buffet?

Maybe I'm missing something....I usually am. huh.gif

Well, if they do, you'd have to be prepared to climb over the barred gate at the entrance to get in. I've past it twice in the last few days.