Sim Card Options For Ipad

CDNinKS

What is the best option for a sim card for an Ipad2? I have a post paid account with DTAC for my phone and I was told that I could get a second sim card with the same number and use my existing account. I went to a DTAC shop today and was told that was not possible. I then asked what my options were and the girl said another sim card. I said OK, can you attach that to my existing account?.......can not :-)

So I left the shop not knowing what to do.

What is the best option for 300 baht or less per month? AIS, DTAC, True, etc?

DTAC have a multi-SIM option for post-paid customers

http://vas.dtac.co.th/th/communication_p9.htm

But perhaps, since the iPad is not a phone per se, they do not allow this?

Truemove might be the best option as the y do have 3G in metro-Bangkok and a few other select areas. http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/prepay-microsim.html

Features.

Services MultiSIM is a service that allows customers to dtac be more convenient with a SIM Card for use up to 5 SIM to a number of dtac an invoice service, single service MultiSIM will help you. Many mobile phone users simultaneously. The use of cell phones and other computing devices such as Aircard.

A telephone number can have up to 5 SIM SIM with the SIM 1 SIM and SIM extra 1-4 SIM.

Expenses resulting from the use of the SIM will be included in the invoice same

without a cost to SIM.

You can use this service. It does not depend on the device used. If you want to dtac internet.

must be applied to a machine that can accommodate dtac internet.

The SIM will be able to make calls / receive calls, send / receive SMS and MMS to be used dtac internet.

SIM dtac internet access is available only on subscription dtac internet.

All SIM dtac internet access simultaneously.

Can change the SIM for a SIM from the master.

Roaming services are available only with SIM.

Change of SIM for a SIM can be done on the inside regions.

Price of service.

The SIM access. 109 baht / SIM.

(. including VAT ).

SIM for a SIM replacement of the primary (press * 128 # to call). No charge.

To check the status of the SIM (by dialing * 129 # and call). No charge.

Package rates dtac internet unlimited.

apply from now until March 31, 54.

The number of SIM + SIM access key.

2 SIM.

3 SIM.

4 SIM.

5 SIM.

dtac internet unlimited. postpaid.

1799 THB

2499 THB

3099 THB

3599 THB

Note:.

Users with any dtac internet package that will have an Unlimited package, as mentioned earlier. Can be used MultiSIM.

If users want MultiSIM dtac internet package with Unlimited package is the MultiSIM dtac internet unlimited number of your SIM with the above.

If users want MultiSIM dtac internet package is based on the amount of data usage or based on usage. You can see it. here.

MultiSIM service is available for registered customers only 1800 (except for corporate clients, SMEs and the client system 800).

Thanks lomatopo, So multi sims are available from DTAC.......why am I not surprised that the girl in the shop didn't know that :blink:

They also have a Happy Internet sim package I see now......maybe that is the way to go. The true package looks good, but I'm not in any 3g area, so no advantage for me.

OK, bought a 199 baht/ 50 hour sim card from True. As usual the sales girl was not too helpful. If I log on does the 50 hours run from that time even if I log out? How do I check the balance on the card? All the instructions refer to an SMS to get the balance, but can not send an SMS with an Ipad. There seems to be an option to check balance on the Ipad menu, but when I select that it goes nowhere.......

Anyone know how this thing works???

I had the same problem with AIS micro sim net, I have 32GB 3G ipad2, i had no way of checking the credit, apart from taking it out and putting it Iphone 4, or calling up the help desk center, it was only valid for 30 days, so i'll just buy a 69Baht sim card every couple of months and top that up with 50-100 baht. Im in LOS every other month.

tethering is the best way, small hassle but it will work, and you can check credit with SMS

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with AIS micro sim net, I have 32GB 3G ipad2, i had no way of checking the credit, apart from taking it out and putting it Iphone 4, or calling up the help desk center, it was only valid for 30 days, so i'll just buy a 69Baht sim card every couple of months and top that up with 50-100 baht. Im in LOS every other month.

tethering is the best way, small hassle but it will work, and you can check credit with SMS

yes, AIS is a royal pain in the ass when it comes to iPads. I don't do iAnything but my mother-in-law has one with an AIS 1-2 sim, and it is impossible to manage. I was doing the 50 hours/month for her for awhile without issues, but recently it has been running out, and when that happens the only way to get reconnected is to top-up and call them to have the plan reset. The last 2 months it has run out in a VERY short time (last time only 3 days) and now they tell me that it remains connected even when the ipad is in standby and that you have to manually disconnect the cellular data when not using it. So after dumping 1000 baht into it over 5 weeks with only about 1 hour usage per day, I basically just told them to go <deleted> themselves. I was told that there is a bandwidth plan which would make more sense than an hourly plan but I can't find the information on their website, and suspect it would be just as impossible to monitor and manage as the hourly plan. Anyone have any good advice?

k

Hi I'm going to have a look at the Multi Sim- option, maybe that can keep track of the usage better, I don't really need 24hr 3G/Edge as most of my usage is in the house with WIFI, the ipad is too big to carry around, but once in awhile wood be nice.

you MUST turn your EDGE off when not in use, it will use all your credit fast. you'll get used to this eding on/off, its a pain unless you go for unlimted account.

most telecom companies want us on unlimted data useage, then they can send us adverts 24/7.

I'll check out the multi Sim when I leave work and head back to LOS in 9/10 days, I will post update if any news

http://www.ais.co.th/gsm2010/en/gsm_service_multi_sim.aspx

Edited by bolt

[if the iPad works similarly as iPhone, unless you have location services turned off, it will automatically log on every hour to check your location. It won't matter which you are using ... AIS or DTAC. To avoid this you either have to turn off location services or turn it off with the on/off switch when you aren't using it.

OK, bought a 199 baht/ 50 hour sim card from True. As usual the sales girl was not too helpful. If I log on does the 50 hours run from that time even if I log out? How do I check the balance on the card? All the instructions refer to an SMS to get the balance, but can not send an SMS with an Ipad. There seems to be an option to check balance on the Ipad menu, but when I select that it goes nowhere.......

Anyone know how this thing works???

You should probably get a volume-based plan rather than a time-based one?

http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/prepay-microsim.html

True have some iStuff apps.

http://appcenter.truelife.com/phonedetail/view/Hit/iphone/20110411155017/TrueMove+iService

Not sure if it works on an iPad.

I assume you can't send an SMS from the iPad as it is not a real GSM device, so you can install the SIM in a real phone then send an SMS to 9789 with b in the body (single, lower case letter b ). You should get a reply with details.

Maybe ring True to ask about checking usage? Maybe there's some email or web-based way to do this?

With AIS I would ask if they have any native or web-based services available. (They do, eServices, but that requires a password sent via SMS!) With a SIM in a real phone you can enter *139# send, then get a reply on usage.

Edited by lomatopo