Wlan Repeater

Samuian

I have a Digitech high-power USB wireless adapter. It does not boost a wifi signal at the source but it significantly boosts the signal at the receiving computer.

For example, I recently stayed at a small hotel in Pattaya that provided a free wifi service only in the lobby / café.

My room was on the 4th floor.

My laptop's inbuilt wifi didn't even detect a signal in my room but the Digitech gave me a '2 bar' signal strength and I was able to surf the net in my room.

"Digitech High Power Wireless-N USB 2.0 Network Adaptor

Able to reach wireless networks from significant distances with enough signal strength to do what you need. The unit can connect to wireless networks up to 1.5km away. The supplied RA link software will you give you detailed specs on the networks being transmitted around your locale. Channel, wireless format, encryption details and signal strength."

A Netgear universal WiFi range extender model number WN2000RPT might do what you want.

It will pick up a weak WiFi signal and retransmit it. It also has 4 Lan ports that you can plug a PC or games console into to access the internet or network.

In Australia you can get them from $70 to $100.

The OP said "the simple type which can be plugged into a power socket and will amplify the Wi-Fi signal". When you say amplify the signal, does this mean that it will increase or decrease the download speed?

I don't have a problem with losing a signal - except when it rains, but I would like to download faster. Does these suggested kits do that?

The OP said "the simple type which can be plugged into a power socket and will amplify the Wi-Fi signal". When you say amplify the signal, does this mean that it will increase or decrease the download speed?

I don't have a problem with losing a signal - except when it rains, but I would like to download faster. Does these suggested kits do that?

With the Netgear WN2000RPT the installation guide states: "Data traffic routed through the Extender network is slower than traffic directly from the network. For this reason, NETGEAR recommends that you connect through the Extender network only when the PC is in a “dead zone” where the network connection is very poor or non-existent."

A data sheet is here: http://www.netgear.com.au/images/WN2000RPT_DS_30Mar1187-8518.pdf

The installation guide with FAQ's is here: ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN2000RPT/Documentation/IG/WN2000RPT_IGPM_30_Nov10.pdf

I recently used one of these TPLink access points in repeater mode to extend a friend's wireless network in a guest house because some rooms were unable to receive the signal from the primary router, also TPLink. There is a small amount of setup to do which is basically selecting the wireless network you want to extend and entering the wireless security details. Because the traffic has to go through two boxes the speed if halved but if you're only using it for internet access then depending on your connection speed of course it will quite likely be fast enough.

Good article about bridging and repeating.

--damole

Edited by damole

I don't know how good you are with your hands but I found a "Cantenna" design online that's really good. I was getting one or two bars before I built it and now it won't go lower than five bars! I read someone tested it in a cornfield in Iowa and they were able to get wifi signals 10 miles away. It connects to your USB via a WLAN adapter so there is no need for a AC outlet.