The Lotus Position

RickThai

I have short legs so can only get into the full-lotus without my feet being on the thighs....it is more comfortable than the two layer cross-legged for me.

I tell my students to use a pillow to raise their hips by and inch or two to keep balanced whilst relaxed and not feel like they are toppling over backwards.

The more important thing IMHO is to have the back straight. This allows easy breathing and tends to prevent falling asleep.

Thanks Fred, excellant tips. I know many foreign monks who can't sit like the asians can. Many actually sit in chairs. I myself sit on the floor in a Thai legs to the side style, sitting on a small cushion. I haven't met any Thai monks who object, snicker yes, but object no.

I have short legs so can only get into the full-lotus without my feet being on the thighs....it is more comfortable than the two layer cross-legged for me.

I tell my students to use a pillow to raise their hips by and inch or two to keep balanced whilst relaxed and not feel like they are toppling over backwards.

The more important thing IMHO is to have the back straight. This allows easy breathing and tends to prevent falling asleep.

Thanks Fred, excellant tips. I know many foreign monks who can't sit like the asians can. Many actually sit in chairs. I myself sit on the floor in a Thai legs to the side style, sitting on a small cushion. I haven't met any Thai monks who object, snicker yes, but object no.

Are both legs to the same side K?

If they are wouldn't that tilt your torso and cause you to tense one side in order to straighten up?

Tension would then lead to rampant thoughts.

Earlier this year I gave it my best shot to adopt a half lotus position for meditation and I was hoping I would get used to it eventually. It turned out I could only do it sitting on a cushion, plus have cushions under each of my knees. But I was still getting numb and it didn't seem worth it. It was especially hard for my right leg.

Then I decided to just sit in a wooden chair and that was going along fairly well. I was comfortable anyways.

Now I have noticed that my left leg is limber enough to put comfortably up on the chair, and it gives me a more stable feeling. I still have my poor arthritic right leg down with my foot on the floor.

It's kinda weird, I suppose, to have one foot down and one up, but it actually feels more stable than having both feet on the floor. It keeps my butt from sliding forward.

I doubt anyone would recommend this position but it is actually the best I have found considering my right leg is gimpy.

• 1 month later...

Suññatā (voidness, emptiness) is a good meditation position too.

Tan Buddhadasa recommends it for the toilet, mind and body are connected. What you took you have to give, the useful things your body (and your mind) took you can preserve, the useless stuff you have to give back to nature.

Suññatā is a signboard in some Suan Mokh Branch Wats over the toilets. (I don't joke you)

Earlier this year I gave it my best shot to adopt a half lotus position for meditation and I was hoping I would get used to it eventually. It turned out I could only do it sitting on a cushion, plus have cushions under each of my knees. But I was still getting numb and it didn't seem worth it. It was especially hard for my right leg.

Then I decided to just sit in a wooden chair and that was going along fairly well. I was comfortable anyways.

Now I have noticed that my left leg is limber enough to put comfortably up on the chair, and it gives me a more stable feeling. I still have my poor arthritic right leg down with my foot on the floor.

It's kinda weird, I suppose, to have one foot down and one up, but it actually feels more stable than having both feet on the floor. It keeps my butt from sliding forward.

I doubt anyone would recommend this position but it is actually the best I have found considering my right leg is gimpy.

Not unlike the bodhisattva Lokanatha :)

DBN4G00Z.jpg

Not unlike the bodhisattva Lokanatha smile.png

DBN4G00Z.jpg

Wow, that's cool, thanks for posting that. This fellow reportedly guards the Buddhist teachings until the next Buddha appears. I don't think I have ever seen another one leg up and one down posture in a statue or picture. I'm still convinced this is the best posture for me.