Tony'S Street Dog Facility

Suradit

After reading in the Bangkok forum an inspiring thread about someone who has taken it upon himself to assist soi dogs where he lives, I also followed the link for SCAD Bangkok, which is a great organization. Assuming that charity should begin at home I tried looking for similar organizations in Pattaya. I do drop some money in the boxes for donations at Friendship, but you're never really sure whether that ends up helping the dogs & cats or not.

Googling wasn't very productive but I remembered that Tony did have a facility for abandoned dogs.

In searching for that I ran across the following letter from PETA and Tony's reply. Anyone have any additional information on the state of things at Tony's operation? I can easily understand that he may have started something with every good intention and then became swamped by the sheer numbers of abandonned dogs.

Any opinions on whether donations to his organization would be worthwhile or if another facility in Pattaya is making better use of donations?

http://www.pattayama...-s-shelter-4796

Edited by Rimmer
Text from Pattaya Mail removed, fair use only please, deep link is OK

I know nothing about this place but I do know that there is some sort of Thai veterinary group that goes around neutering dogs for free (soi dogs and owned dogs) in Pattaya and region. It was mentioned on one of the Pattaya farang TV channels recently.

Neutering of male dogs should be a very high priority, I think. Quick, easy, effective.

I know nothing about this place but I do know that there is some sort of Thai veterinary group that goes around neutering dogs for free (soi dogs and owned dogs) in Pattaya and region. It was mentioned on one of the Pattaya farang TV channels recently.

Neutering of male dogs should be a very high priority, I think. Quick, easy, effective.

I agree with you that it is very important to stem the population explosion, but my question was more to do with where I could direct donations to ensure that the animals benefited.

....my question was more to do with where I could direct donations to ensure that the animals benefited.

I appreciate that.

It may be that the Thai vet group also does some sort of rescue service. I dont know. Maybe the TV channel(s) could help you find out?

They would probably know of any other local group that does dog rescue and needs money.

For cats there is a British couple who could surely do with some cash.

http://cats4youinpattaya.webs.com/

There was also a German chap on TV the other day. He seemed to have about 80 rescue dogs in and around his house (and I bet his neighbours just love him!).

Edited by Darrel

the collection box in friendsship does in deed go staright a animal sancutary at mapbrachan. my freiend and landlord runs it. he has 65 dogs now here and about 30 in Chanatanaburi, where is has relocated them. he gets a lot of problems with neighbors. his average monthly spend is 100,000 with vet and staff bill plus food. 30% is usually at the vets. Freinfdship have taken dogs threre and donate food to him hence the collection box. money came from house reantal incomes which has not gone down and some even empty. all dogs are neautered and vaccinated, the place is immaculate and he welcomes vistors. he is 78 years old but dedicates his life to the street dogs. i personally do it on a smaller scale on the mapbrachan dam, the dogs threre dont bother anybody about 20, i get meds for word vet service, and pay for neutering myself. the picture below was of something i organised where 10 dogs were neutered on site 10000 baht now the group have reduced in size.

also the picture of the dying dog as i know some people seem to get a kick out of the dogs suffering, compalin about local dogs but do nothing.

i contact wndy at SCADS on a regular basis, she is helpfull and has the luxery of sponors.

i recently picked up a dying dog and took it Muang Ake Veterinary Hospital on suk road near pattaya tai, i agreed inital treatment of 3000 which i paid then a further agreement of operation of 5000 baht which i paid. the dog died as i told them it would but they will not put down until they have exausted every possible route of extracting money. they have sent me a final bill of 13200, they can whistle for that, they made a good profit at 8000, so whats one to do next time a dog is dying on the road side. all i wanted was the dog put down.

contact if you want to help or adopt by PM, i have another 10 i want to neuter, treatment for fleas and ticks is about 4 baht per dog so not to much. if you use the vet maybe you could just have a word next time you go that the bill for bones a dying street dog seems high

post-53164-0-13107900-1310918355_thumb.j

post-53164-0-63672800-1310918525_thumb.j

Edited by NALAK

Just like to say we adopted our Golden Cocker from the dog sanctuary at Maprachan, and what a great addition to our family. I have only high regard for this establishment and if anyone is looking for somewhere to support, this would be it.

an

the collection box in friendsship does in deed go staright a animal sancutary at mapbrachan. my freiend and landlord runs it. he has 65 dogs now here and about 30 in Chanatanaburi, where is has relocated them. he gets a lot of problems with neighbors. his average monthly spend is 100,000 with vet and staff bill plus food. 30% is usually at the vets. Freinfdship have taken dogs threre and donate food to him hence the collection box. money came from house reantal incomes which has not gone down and some even empty. all dogs are neautered and vaccinated, the place is immaculate and he welcomes vistors. he is 78 years old but dedicates his life to the street dogs. i personally do it on a smaller scale on the mapbrachan dam, the dogs threre dont bother anybody about 20, i get meds for word vet service, and pay for neutering myself. the picture below was of something i organised where 10 dogs were neutered on site 10000 baht now the group have reduced in size.

also the picture of the dying dog as i know some people seem to get a kick out of the dogs suffering, compalin about local dogs but do nothing.

i contact wndy at SCADS on a regular basis, she is helpfull and has the luxery of sponors.

i recently picked up a dying dog and took it Muang Ake Veterinary Hospital on suk road near pattaya tai, i agreed inital treatment of 3000 which i paid then a further agreement of operation of 5000 baht which i paid. the dog died as i told them it would but they will not put down until they have exausted every possible route of extracting money. they have sent me a final bill of 13200, they can whistle for that, they made a good profit at 8000, so whats one to do next time a dog is dying on the road side. all i wanted was the dog put down.

contact if you want to help or adopt by PM, i have another 10 i want to neuter, treatment for fleas and ticks is about 4 baht per dog so not to much. if you use the vet maybe you could just have a word next time you go that the bill for bones a dying street dog seems high

Owner of sanctuary has asked i put number on for contact if somebody was to want to visit or adopt. nice golden reteiver in there at the moment and some cocker and poodle types

08100219557 Derek

Does anybody know if P.A.W.S Pattaya stillexists, would like to use the name working towards getting a centre set up and maybe employing a vet. all costs money though. but must be a need where unwanted street dogs are taken treated and most importantly neutered.

Edited by NALAK

Use your imagination. There's plenty of ways to put a dying dog down without spending 8000 baht. Maybe a bit brutal for your stomach, but quick and humane nonetheless. I can't believe you actually did that.

Use your imagination. There's plenty of ways to put a dying dog down without spending 8000 baht. Maybe a bit brutal for your stomach, but quick and humane nonetheless. I can't believe you actually did that.

only one way and thats a blow to the head and may take several blows, drowned a puppy with a broken back, but full grown dog, no, all i takes is injection from a vet. beleive as i would do it again, i got all the money i have in life by working with animals, nobody to leave it to so may as well do that. it deserved a second shot after what it had been through. as a matter of interest how do i single handedly do it, cut the throat,stab, give me some ideas. if i could get the drug i could do it but i am not skilled enough to find a vein for itraveinous injection. i would dearly love to get a bolt gun but dont know where could get one, that i could do. my stomach tolerated working in a UK slaghter house so no worries there.

I hate soi dogs.

takes all sorts i mean after all they really want to live in this pile of crap for a life, i am sure they much prefer it ovr a normal caring home life, dont blame the dogs blame the authorities, dont happen in UK. that why i said i put the photo of a soi dog on its way as as i know some people hate them and might like to see it.

Edited by NALAK

I hate soi dogs.

takes all sorts i mean after all they really want to live in this pile of crap for a life, i am sure they much prefer it ovr a normal caring home life, dont blame the dogs blame the authorities, dont happen in UK. that why i said i put the photo of a soi dog on its way as as i know some people hate them and might like to see it.

The thing is that people seem to think that soi dogs are abandoned or stray when in fact most of them are born in the wild (parks, empty lots).

They are basically pests which should not be there in the first place. In most modern cities they have patrols to pick up stray animals as they are a danger to the human population. They carry diseases (rabies), fleas, ticks and shit everywhere. I can't believe that the situation has been allowed to get so out of control in Pattaya where there are so many foreign tourists.

Whenever my wife walks 50 m down the road she is accosted by a pack of soi dogs. They sense she is scared and they harass her. She cannot safely walk down the street. Thais actually feed these animals everyday. If you take a walk around Pratumnak Hill park you'll see people leaving dog food throughout the park everyday. In one road side area you'll see more than a dozen dogs lurking around waiting for their food every morning. These dogs were all born in the park.

the collection box in friendsship does in deed go staright a animal sancutary at mapbrachan.

Thanks for the information. Maybe that collection box is the way to go to ensure my money gets to the right place.

I know Friendship has one three-legged dog (I thought there used to be more) that they look after, so I assumed the owner is somewhat sympathetic to dogs. Nice to know he helps out in various ways.

I'd love to adopt a dog or two, but I live in a condo that doesn't permit them ... which is just as well since I'm sure if dogs were allowed it would quickly turn into a nightmare once everyone decided to bring home a "cute puppy" from the market and then lost interest in it after a few weeks.

Is there not a Buddhist element to this problem here?

Yes! In the Philippines you will not find a stray dog anywhere. Two of the family dogs were run over in the last couple of years. Some people scrambled to pay a couple of hundred baht for the first one, the second one was eaten by an uncle's family. Nothing goes to waste.

The real tragedy is what happens to humans, not wild animals. This week the town was abuzz with a story of a child found dead with kidneys and eyes extracted. They were kind enough to leave 20,000 pesos in the dead child's mouth. Perhaps that made them feel better about borrowing the organs. Last year another child was found with only kidneys extracted, but that time they left a whopping 30,000 pesos (about 20K baht) next to the corpse.:(:(:(:(:(:(

the collection box in friendsship does in deed go staright a animal sancutary at mapbrachan.

Thanks for the information. Maybe that collection box is the way to go to ensure my money gets to the right place.

I know Friendship has one three-legged dog (I thought there used to be more) that they look after, so I assumed the owner is somewhat sympathetic to dogs. Nice to know he helps out in various ways.

I'd love to adopt a dog or two, but I live in a condo that doesn't permit them ... which is just as well since I'm sure if dogs were allowed it would quickly turn into a nightmare once everyone decided to bring home a "cute puppy" from the market and then lost interest in it after a few weeks.

he has taken some of the dogs from friendship, thats why they help and have the collection box in there. can assure you every baht and more in the box goes to dogs and cats.