Business Use Of Your Home?

I was curious how many of you working in a corporate environment entertain business associates in your home? Practically, if you wanted to make a good impression, would you allocate money towards your home, car or evenings out to grease the wheels?

I do corporate entertaining all the time; never gone to a house, never invited someone to mine. Friends from work, yes, but not for business.

Business = nice restaurant; golf possibly (not me, 'cause I tore my shoulder cuff - the muscle, not my shirt); "nite type" entertainment (men only - Resort, etc); karaoke (Big echo type place or restaurant with karaoke).

No need for fancy car, just show up early, and meet them there.

My home = my slum. :o

I was curious how many of you working in a corporate environment entertain business associates in your home? Practically, if you wanted to make a good impression, would you allocate money towards your home, car or evenings out to grease the wheels?

I do corporate entertaining all the time; never gone to a house, never invited someone to mine. Friends from work, yes, but not for business.

Business = nice restaurant; golf possibly (not me, 'cause I tore my shoulder cuff - the muscle, not my shirt); "nite type" entertainment (men only - Resort, etc); karaoke (Big echo type place or restaurant with karaoke).

No need for fancy car, just show up early, and meet them there.

My home = my slum. :o

That was my impression. I've passed many a townhouse that was clean but in a less than desireable part of town yet with a Mercedes parked on the curb. It gives the impression that the home is not the primary means of gaining face in the corporate world.

Like many I've been on the hunt for that elusive expat package in my company or another that would take me to LOS. I was just wondering if it ever came to pass whether I'd go the route of a serviced apartment, nice home or just grab something reasonable and pocket the cash or upgrade my ride. This made me realize I just didn't know how critical the face gained from a nice home may or may not be in Thai corporate culture.

Thanks for the responses.

Like many I've been on the hunt for that elusive expat package in my company or another that would take me to LOS. I was just wondering if it ever came to pass whether I'd go the route of a serviced apartment, nice home or just grab something reasonable and pocket the cash or upgrade my ride. This made me realize I just didn't know how critical the face gained from a nice home may or may not be in Thai corporate culture.

Totally unimportant; so I'd go for the cheaper place out of the city a bit.

Although that said, many farangs struggle to fit in here, so end up in the areas with "like minded individuals" around Sukhumvit, Silom that sort of thing. Lots of english speakers and cruddy European/American food. And of course, there is a reason why places like (ahem) Spasso, CM2, NEP, PP and so on all do a roaring trade, and they are not making their money from locals.

If you can learn some Thai and can eat the food and can learn to drive "Thai style" then living a little further out is no problem. Somewhere on the skytrain/underground may be helpful if you have to work in the city; I love having a car because it opens up going to the beach/sport/ that sort of thing; for many of the expats I know, their idea of travel is walking from NEP to Soi Cowboy, so having a car is less relevant.