Buying A Tuk Tuk

daleyboy

I am thinking of buying a tuk tuk and importing it back to the uk , and i was wondering if anyone knows how much a new tuk tuk costs and where i could purchase one from.

A friend bought one in PI, he didn't pay much.

He got it back to the States but could never get it registered because of emissions and safety issues.

Would have been cool though, cruising around town in your Tuk. :o

Hi Daleyboy,

A few years ago a bloke in Brighton imported one but got done by the plod for operating it as an unlicensed taxi. He stored it in my mate's garage and, as far as I'm aware, it's still languishing there. If you're seriously interested, I could put you in touch.

Scouse.

Great links from Steve :D

I looked into this a while ago, just out of interest. A couple of the manufacturers do 'export' models for people like you, you need to get all the 'optional' features like a front brake :o and go for a 4-stroke petrol engine.

The hurdle in the UK will be getting it registered, it will need to pas the SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) test, a sort of super MOT (a quick google should get information on this test). As it will be classed as a motorcycle (3 wheels) the test is less stringent although it may need modifications to the lighting (colours and location). Speedo must be in MPH.

It's not impossible (there was one for sale on eBay UK a couple of weeks ago).

Good luck!

Thanks one and all for the mountains of info to look at. :o

Just a little idea i have been thinking about of importing and then using them as a local taxi service.

To the scouser

I am going to do some more research into it i.e speak to the council and see what they say about licensing for taxi use. I managed to find a couple of sites last night and appears as if it is possible, in other areas of the country so maybe in Bristol as well.

To indo siam.

Thanks for the links that is just what i was looking for, manufacturers in Thailand to give me prices.

To crossy.

Yep i know all about the sva test, i bought a Nissan skyline jap import so know all the pitfalls involved with that. Thanks for the info :D

Thanks to everyone else for supplying websites

It appears i need to look for 4 stroke models fitted with seatbelts, which i am sure can all be done in Thailand. The one i have seen for sale in this country is selling for £7500, which seems way too steep as i am sure they dont cost that much to build and ship to the uk. I think it will have to be 4 stroke though because of emmissons and noise.

The one i have seen for sale in this country is selling for £7500, which seems way too steep as i am sure they dont cost that much to build and ship to the uk. I think it will have to be 4 stroke though because of emmissons and noise.

I thought about doing this a while ago but never did anything more about it.

I agree, 4 stroke is the one you need. As for the price. When i was looking, you could get one (in Thailand) for between £2-3k. Second hand, depending on the condition. The price then jumps when you import it. If i remember rightly, you have to add the cost of shipping to the cost of the Tuk Tuk and then you pay the "Import Duty" on that total price. You then pay VAT on the total price, after the "Duty" has been added. It gets really pricey, when doing this sort of thing, for a "one off" but if you can fill a 20ft container, it gets to be a little more worth it.

Good luck anyway, Daleyboy

The one i have seen for sale in this country is selling for £7500, which seems way too steep as i am sure they dont cost that much to build and ship to the uk. I think it will have to be 4 stroke though because of emmissons and noise.

I agree, 4 stroke is the one you need. As for the price. When i was looking, you could get one (in Thailand) for between £2-3k. Second hand, depending on the condition. The price then jumps when you import it. If i remember rightly, you have to add the cost of shipping to the cost of the Tuk Tuk and then you pay the "Import Duty" on that total price. You then pay VAT on the total price, after the "Duty" has been added. It gets really pricey, when doing this sort of thing, for a "one off" but if you can fill a 20ft container, it gets to be a little more worth it.

Thanks for that mrbo we can discuss it at greater length at the brum pissup :D thats if you aint tooooooo drunk. :D The rumours have already been spreading down south about your antics :o

You might want to consider an electric Tuk-Tuk,bring it down to the smoke and I would imagine as a neg emission vehicle Mr Livingstone would exempt you from the Congestion Charge (now £8 quid a day)

Could have a great time picking up all the rich totty from Tramps and Annnabels (Rod Stewarts/Mick J/Elton whatis name type hangouts)....an all sooo... quietly

You might want to consider an electric Tuk-Tuk,bring it down to the smoke and I would imagine as a neg emission vehicle Mr Livingstone would exempt you from the Congestion Charge (now £8 quid a day)

Could have a great time picking up all the rich totty from Tramps and Annnabels (Rod Stewarts/Mick J/Elton whatis name type hangouts)....an all sooo... quietly

Not a bad idea at all. But arent motorbikes exempt anyway?

Thanks for that mrbo we can discuss it at greater length at the brum pissup :D thats if you aint tooooooo drunk. :D The rumours have already been spreading down south about your antics :o

:D If you hurry up and buy one, you can drive it from Bristol to Brum. That would indeed, make an interesting thread. :D

P.S. Can't wait to take you Southerners on, at the piss up. :D Don't know what the rumours are but i'm a bit of a light weight really :D Scouser, is our Northern secret weapon :D I was drinking with Prof Fart on saturday and he can put them away but he'll be in Thailand at the time of the Brummy bash.

:D If you hurry up and buy one, you can drive it from Bristol to Brum. That would indeed, make an interesting thread.  :D 

P.S. Can't wait to take you Southerners on, at the piss up.  :o Don't know what the rumours are but i'm a bit of a light weight really  :D  Scouser, is our Northern secret weapon  :D I was drinking with Prof Fart on saturday and he can put them away but he'll be in Thailand at the time of the Brummy bash.

:D

You wont be taking on me, i wont be drinking. Got to drve back to Bristol at the end of the night. Now if the missus wasnt preggers she would drink all you northeners under the table without even blinking.

As for the rumours, hmmm it wasnt drinking rumours i was reffering to but rather the trousers down in a dodgy postioion in the blokes toilet rumour :D Just ask scouse he told me he saw the incident between you and the prof first hand, i shall say no more. Whoops off topic ohhh well my topic, i will write what i want. :D

As for the rumours, hmmm it wasnt drinking rumours i was reffering to but rather the trousers down in a dodgy postioion in the blokes toilet rumour :o Just ask scouse he told me he saw the incident between you and the prof first hand, i shall say no more. Whoops off topic ohhh well my topic, i will write what i want.  :D

:D

It's a slanderous lie, i tell ya. Prof Fart is way too hairy for my liking :D

As many of you will already know i have been producing Tuk-Tuks for the European Market for 7 years now.

Our tuk-tuks are called the Rolls Royce of tuk-tuks by the British Press, there is another company based in southampton that now sell tuk-tuks but we are the only company to have registered one as a full hackney taxi.

The vehicle now runs in Weston Super Mare in Somerset, we also supply tuk-tuks for Unilever in Holland and they now run as ice cream vans for OLA or Walls to the rest of us.

You can see more at www.tuk-tuk.co.uk.

Mike.post-12445-1130341137_thumb.jpg

He He nice one Mrbojangles,

In fact i did have problems with the Hackney License Officers as they say all Hackney and Private Hire vehicles must be right hand drive.

My response was that they were in fact right hand drive due to which side the passengers enter and exit the vehicle.

To the person who sent me a PM , we are not allowed to show the ice cream vans at this stage by request of Unilever, i am sure many will understand their reasons.

Mike.

Edited by tuktukmike

You wont be taking on me, i wont be drinking. Got to drve back to Bristol at the end of the night. Now if the missus wasnt preggers she would drink all you northeners under the table without even blinking.

Big up to the Brizzol..........Cider I up.!!!! :o

Hi INTJ

You have not seen my post in the auction thread,

3 times i arranged transport to pick up the car and every time the day before i got a call informing me of yet another price hike.

Maybe i should have listened to others but understand i just had to try as the car was my pride and joy.

My advice now, if you do intend to bring a car in make sure its a car the customs officers wont take a shine to.

Mike.