Driving From Chiang Mai To Udonthani

cerbera

I have done it a few times. It takes about 7 hours which is driving at a decent pace.Drive to Uttaradit and after Uttraradit take a small but fairly quick road the 1143 to Nakhon Thai. After Nakhon Thai go on the 2013 until it meets the 203 which goes to Loei. There is a small bendy road that cuts out Loei the 2140. After that it is the 210 to Nong Bua Lamphu and Udon.

Take a map and fill up with fuel before you cross country.

Don't try going via Phitsanulok it is a lot longer and slower even though the roads look better on a map they are not.

I did it there and back last weekend for the holidays, admittedly I went via Phitsanulok and it took a little over 9 hours each way. That is including a couple of toilet and fuels stops and one 45 food stop. The roads are good apart from if you get caught behind a slow vehicle on the mountains or in the national park. You get past them eventually but it could take some time depending on your driving. I had to take a few risks on occasions. I have not tried the way Bluweyze mentioned but i'll give it a try next time i take the Mrs home to the village. Have a safe journey and if you don't fancy doing it in one run a good hotel in Khon Kaen is the Khon Kaen Orchid.

I did it there and back last weekend for the holidays, admittedly I went via Phitsanulok and it took a little over 9 hours each way. That is including a couple of toilet and fuels stops and one 45 food stop. The roads are good apart from if you get caught behind a slow vehicle on the mountains or in the national park. You get past them eventually but it could take some time depending on your driving. I had to take a few risks on occasions. I have not tried the way Bluweyze mentioned but i'll give it a try next time i take the Mrs home to the village. Have a safe journey and if you don't fancy doing it in one run a good hotel in Khon Kaen is the Khon Kaen Orchid.

The way Blueweyze went is the pretty route, it can be very scenic and some nice places to stay aorund Phu Reua but there are a couple of bottle necks. That routes about 640 odd km. The route you took is about 780 odd km but probably easier remaining on main roads. You can turn off just before KK at Chumpae onto the 228 which knocks the distance down to a tad under 700km. I normally stop in the Rachawadee in KK enroute to Amphur Det the other side of Ubon. Its only 1km past the ring roads west intersection so I dont have to drive in the city after driving for 8 hours.