Us Social Security Website

Suradit

OK this is sounding more and more like a problem that I had with TV and I could not get to TV site without proxy and everyone else seemed to be fine. I did nothing to fix it - after I contacted TV via email it started working again. Something about using several servers and sorting the incoming IP's to which is best server etc etc etc any way that was messed up at the server and caused some IP's to not work normally well others did. Example I am not having any problem with this site but many here are and changing DNS etc didn't fix it. I bet the problem solves it self soon.

As for my outage with Thai visa it lasted 4 days but that was over a weekend and the site was not down - down for me reported it normally working because it pings it from another IP address not yours - it just some how miss sorted my IP address to a none functioning server all the time.

Proxy was a work around as it changes the IP address and only a proxy with a different IP range then your own normally assigned by the ISP will work as they are being miss routed at the server site. Load balance failure or something along that line.

If you can't get the site and use downforme to check if it is up - I think it will say it is working. It works for me anyway so maybe someone with the problem can try that and see what happens.

Disclaimer: totally guessing but seems related to past problem I had :lol:

Another possible benefit of using the True proxy is faster browsing. I need to do some more testing but to my naked eye getting to the main/first page and many sub-pages at numerous, well known web sites was faster last night (and so far this morning) after I entered the proxy info. That is, in my case, pages are popping on the screen noticeably faster. After entering True proxy setting last night I kept saying to myself, "Wow, that web page sure pulled up fast." And I'm talking about sites in the U.S. (or cached on the proxy server maybe I maybe should say). Now, some sites didn't pull up any faster (like reaching the main page of the Bangkok Post site which has always been slow for me regarding of my ISP), but many pages were pulling up noticeably faster. Your results many vary.

Also, I use to be on cable internet (Roadrunner) in the States and my brain cells pulled up a memory last night saying Roadrunner recommended use of their proxy server for faster operation, but also said if one day you couldn't access many sites deactivate the proxy setting temporarily as the proxy server may be down. And they also said you should deactivate the proxy server setting when trying to connect to another ISP other than Roadrunner. Funny how certain stored-away (or Chang beer drowned) brain cells get reactivate based on a recent event.

Folks on other Thai ISPs like TOT, 3BB, etc., may want to check with their ISP to if they also have a proxy server(s)....check their support web site, call them, and you might be able to google and find it (I found True's proxy server names last night by googling...the info is probably on their support web site also buried in the Thai and English version support pages). Nothing illegal about using your ISP's proxy server....in fact, they should have told you if one was available when installing your system....but True didn't tell me squat. Any maybe they didn't tell me because as I mentioned in another post use of your ISP's proxy can cause internet connection problems when talking your computer on a roadtrip or to work and trying to connect to a LAN like in a hotel, airport, workplace, etc., where a different ISP is being used....while you could still connect to that hotel/airport/work LAN you probably couldn't pull up any web pages because the proxy setting is preventing it.....preventing it because the True proxy server sees a "non-True" ISP is trying to connect/use the True ISP. But to prevent this problem all you have to do is take a few seconds to deactivate the proxy setting in your browser until you get back home....then reactivate it.

A person on TOT, 3BB, etc., which is having the web site connection problem to certain websites like we have been talking about in this thread might be able to find their ISP's proxer server setting by googling along the lines of "proxy server TOT", "proxy server 3BB", etc. That is how I found the True proxy severs last night. Trying your ISP's proxy server setting can't hurt anything on your computer, but it can possibly make the internet faster for you and in this case make access to certain sites work again.

Just an additive to my above post, I just found out whenever I want to got into my Wifi router/modem menu settings, I can not reach those settings unless I deactivate the browser proxy settings, even through I have the proxy setting setup to not use the proxy for local connections. If I don't deactivate the proxy setting, I pull up pretty much an error page just like when trying to access the Social Security or ACS Appt System web sites. So, I deactivate the proxy setting, go into my router/modem menu to do whatever I want to do/look at, then reactivate the proxy setting for normal internet browsing. Just some of the tricks of the trade a person has to become aware of to get full use of their internet connection, especially in Thailand.

FWIW, I've never in years of being a True internet customer -- first DSL, then cable, now both -- had anyone from True suggest I use their proxy server setting on my computer.

None of the techs who've periodically been out to my home, nor anytime when I've been on the phone with them....

Maybe someone who's more techie than me can explain, what exactly would be the purpose from True's end of things, as an ISP, in running its own proxy server?

BTW, since I believe the proxy settings are specific to individual browsers, one way to handle it for those so inclined would be, for example, to set Firefox or Chrome with the True proxy settings, and then IE without any proxy.... And then choose which browser to use depending on the purpose.

That's a different approach, vs. having to go into one's LAN settings in the browser to enable or disable the proxy every time....or using a proxy add-on extension as someone mentioned above.

Edited by jfchandler

BTW, since I believe the proxy settings are specific to individual browsers, one way to handle it for those so inclined would be, for example, to set Firefox or Chrome with the True proxy settings, and then IE without any proxy.... And then choose which browser to use depending on the purpose.

I expect the only difference is what menus you click to get to the menu where the proxy setting is entered/activated/deactivated.

For IE8 you click Tools, then Internet Options, then Connections, then LAN Settings, then click Use a Proxy Server for Your LAN, then enter the proxy name and port number, then click OK.

Whenever you want to deactivate the proxy use, just follow above menu sequence through LAN Settings, and then to deactivate the proxy just uncheck the box for the Use Proxy Server for Your LAN, and then click OK. The proxy name will be grayed out, but not deleted.

Then to re-activate the proxy just follow above menu sequence except you check/click the box for the Proxy Server for Your LAN which un-grays the proxy name, and then click OK.

Can't speak to IE9 but other versions of IE follow the same general sequence.

To use the Proxy or not use the Proxy, that is the question. But if using the ISP's proxy allows a person to reach certain sites, then using the ISP's proxy sounds like a good approach. Plus, for me, it has speeded up my browsing to many sites by a noticeable amount as viewed by the naked eye. Your experience may vary.

One more note, when the Proxy setting is activated, you may need to deactivate it to reach your router/modem's menu/settings. I had to to reach my True-provided Cisco Model 2325 Wifi router/modem. No biggie, deactivate the proxy for a few minutes, go into your router/modem settings to mess around/look at things, and the reactivate the proxy setting. If you forget to reactivate the proxy setting, it won't affect your internet connection other than not being able to reach certain sites we've been talking about and your browsing may a little slower. But later on when not being able to reach those certain sites a person will hopefully think that "crap, I forget to reactivate the proxy setting" and then go into his browser settings and do such.

Edited by Pib

Another possible benefit of using the True proxy is faster browsing. I need to do some more testing but to my naked eye getting to the main/first page and many sub-pages at numerous, well known web sites was faster last night (and so far this morning) after I entered the proxy info.

I've found True proxy to be most useful during peak hours, when a lot of users are online. Like I said, alternating has become routine; thank goodness for the QuickProxy add-on which makes it very easy to toggle proxy on and off.

Note: Sites that require authentication may refuse entry if you're connecting via proxy. I've never had any problems logging on to TV, but have experienced this on other forums.

I just found out whenever I want to got into my Wifi router/modem menu settings, I can not reach those settings unless I deactivate the browser proxy settings, even through I have the proxy setting setup to not use the proxy for local connections.

Deactivating the proxy isn't necessary. Just add your gateway address to the exception list...

IE:

localhost;127.0.0.1;192.168.1.*

FF:

localhost, 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.1/254

Edited by Supernova

Thanks....cool...just entered my router/modem address in the IE Exception List and no problem reaching the modem/router with the Proxy activated. Easy fix. Cool....thanks.

That also activated some archived memories from my working days when my company used a Proxy setting and I now remember there was a couple of IP addresses in the Exception List box that I didn't have a clue what they were...the LAN administrator had locked the Exception List box for everyone to prevent any additions or deletions.

Edited by Pib

FWIW, I've never in years of being a True internet customer -- first DSL, then cable, now both -- had anyone from True suggest I use their proxy server setting on my computer.

None of the techs who've periodically been out to my home, nor anytime when I've been on the phone with them....

I've been using it on and off since day one.

Yes and no.

Unlike Firefox, Chrome uses IE/Windows proxy settings by default. You can override this behavior by adding the following line to the application shortcut:

chrome.exe --proxy-server=

• 1 year later...

For security reasons, you cannot access your social security account online from outside the US. You have to deal with either the Embassy or Social Security in Manila. Good luck with Manila as I haven't ever gotten any response.

This is true in the Philippines.

During my 6 years there I could not sign into the SSA website and I found that it was

due to the security protocols of my ISP not meeting the standards required by SSA.

However, is this also true in Thailand? It seems that numerous TV posters are able to

access the site.

I just tried to access their website and was unable. When I switched on my VPN it worked.

May I ask, what is VPN?

Virtual Private Network. The simple version, it makes your computer (IP) appear to be coming from somewhere else. Example a VPN connection from Thailand to the US will look to other sites that you are in the US.

For security reasons, you cannot access your social security account online from outside the US. You have to deal with either the Embassy or Social Security in Manila. Good luck with Manila as I haven't ever gotten any response.

This is true in the Philippines.

During my 6 years there I could not sign into the SSA website and I found that it was

due to the security protocols of my ISP not meeting the standards required by SSA.

However, is this also true in Thailand? It seems that numerous TV posters are able to

access the site.

It is available without a VPN in Thailand, but you have to time it correctly:

post-10942-0-09344700-1366880417_thumb.p

• 3 months later...

I just helped a friend apply for SS benefits. Did it online, using a VPN. Even during their operating hours, we couldn't always connect. Not sure why.

It was easy. He got a reply in 2 days his application had been received and 5 days later Manila called to clarity something and tell him benefits would start in 90 days.

So no reason to go to Manila. At least in this case!

I have had very good and quick responses from SSA in Manila several times via email. Recently did a "photo and attach" verification that they accepted and acted on within days.