I Bought A Chevy Cruze

but these 3 other cars do not have any safety features for the 101,1million% of thai drivers who NEED them.

They also lack the no key startup/auto rain sensor/auto lights(so usefull since thais are unable to open them by themselves before its midnight) and many other small features.

Also dont forget the LT which is cheaper has dual airbags and no leather(a plus in sweaty thailand) and amazing climate control

As the Thai's would say "up to you" :)

If you want to spend 134,000 Baht more upfront for ESC and sensor lights/wipers, and are also willing to take an additional 15-20% resale hit when it's time to move on, go for it :D

After 3 years of ownership, a 1.8L Altis E will have cost you around 220K Baht to have owned, a 1.8L LTZ Cruze will have cost you at least 400K Baht to have owned (factoring in used value) - that's almost double, but no way is it double the car.

Car ownership in Thailand, MRO spot on as always :)

ad Chev lousy dealership/service/lack of parts in stock, and you have the day to day life with an average car at a high cost

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and no leather(a plus in sweaty thailand)

Leather might get hot, but myself, never liked the idea of sweaty bums and backs on cloth.

the only car I have owned here without leather was my 2006 yaris. While leather can easily be swept off and cools down if you r out of the car for 10 seconds, fabric seats remain wet and smells as bad as me after a few months :unsure:

I must have a unique bum. My Vigo has cloth seats and never a problem. My pal has leather in a Fortuner and my ass itches and sweats. :)

Seriously, this is the first car forum i have ever seen where people care about car resale.

From where im from, you find the car that fits your personality and you buy it. It's not an investment, its a pleasure/toy

Yep, I buy a car because I like it and will like it while I own it and couldn't give a toss what it's worth when I sell it on, if it's worth more then that's a bonus but no factor what-so-ever in my decision to purchase it..

and no leather(a plus in sweaty thailand)

Leather might get hot, but myself, never liked the idea of sweaty bums and backs on cloth.

the only car I have owned here without leather was my 2006 yaris. While leather can easily be swept off and cools down if you r out of the car for 10 seconds, fabric seats remain wet and smells as bad as me after a few months :unsure:

I must have a unique bum. My Vigo has cloth seats and never a problem. My pal has leather in a Fortuner and my ass itches and sweats. :)

:redcard2: TMI (Too Much Info) I don't think we needed to know that much info. I just lost my dinner :sick: ..

Personally my favorite seats were/are a combination of leather and suede where your legs and or arms contact the seat if you're wearing shorts and or short sleeves on the bolsters, very comfortable, easy to care for and durable.

Edited by WarpSpeed

:redcard2: TMI (Too Much Info) I don't think we needed to know that much info. I just lost my dinner :sick: ..

Personally my favorite seats were/are a combination of leather and suede where your legs and or arms contact the seat if you're wearing shorts and or short sleeves on the bolsters, very comfortable, easy to care for and durable.

Suede is the backside of leather and gets really dirty very quick if sweaty arms and legs are in contact. ;).

Seriously, this is the first car forum i have ever seen where people care about car resale.

From where im from, you find the car that fits your personality and you buy it. It's not an investment, its a pleasure/toy

NO, its transportation, taking me from A to B at a given time frame, with acceptable performance/comfort/safety, at a price. Cruze numbers do not ad up, unless you qualify for zero down and zero interest, and as a Big Bike Highway Police Volunteer I did not. So for me, out of the question to pay for a Cruze, when better cars are around at same cost

Personality? I like Honda Brio, Proton Savvy, Pajero Sport and Vigo, all in the below 1,2 mill bracket, so I guess I need a personality check up

Pleasure and toys are in sportsbikes :P

sorry warp, didnt know my bad smell would be at dinner time :jap:

but really, one of the best seat upholsterys in the center is Alcantara, non slippery synthetic Italian suede, breathing and non slippery. what do you think every rally cars steering wheel is covered with. Yes Alcantara :)

but the smell still sticks :unsure:

No alcantara in Cruze tho :rolleyes:

Must have been a PITA (Pain In The Ass) to get the food out from between the keyboard keys :lol:

Edited by FarangBuddha

Yes, but where you're from, and also where most of us are also from, new cars lose masses of money the moment your drive them, until they reach a point where within 10-15 years they're practically worthless.

It doesn't have to be that way in Thailand though. Here if you buy a Toyota, Honda, Isuzu or Mitsubishi (the latter except for the SpaceWagon model, and previous gen models), you're looking at a max. loss of around 25% +/- 3% after 3 years of ownership. Buy a Chev, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, Proton and you'll experience good old Western style depreciation though, with anywhere from 35-60% down the toilet after just 3 years.

Fence sitting in this category are Ford and Nissan, with mixed resale values depending on model, and the single exception to the high-loss list is the base model LS Chev Colorado extra cab, which only loses 30% after 3 years, but only so long as you got the 10% off sticker price that's customary on it.

NO, its transportation, taking me from A to B at a given time frame, with acceptable performance/comfort/safety, at a price.

Yep - let's be straight - the types of cars most members discuss here are hardly ones any of us would ever lust over - but with TH excise taxes and import duties, it's a case of compromise on the best choice for the money, or suck it up a drop some serious coin, and take the loss.

I'll take the loss on my Porsche, but no way will I take it on a garden variety car like what's being discussed here..

haha

I guess if i was 35-40 and had worked all my life id be pissed as much as you if i had to drive one of these inferior cars when back home you could get a nice sports car for the same price.

for now ill take my eldery car and try not too complain too much, still better than africa :)

haha

I guess if i was 35-40 and had worked all my life id be pissed as much as you if i had to drive one of these inferior cars when back home you could get a nice sports car for the same price.

for now ill take my eldery car and try not too complain too much, still better than africa :)

Well, I fit your age profile, but I've only had to work 10 years of my life so far, and I'm not pissy about the prices here in Thailand, just pragmatic :D

Well, I only had to work for the first 6 years, the last 4 have been out of choice :P

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Where are you from? Dubai perhaps?

I'm from the UK. One of the most beautiful cars on the road is the Citroen C6. It sells however in tiny numbers, like most big French cars. Why? Well, one of the main reasons is depreciation. If you buy a BM or a Benz you can trade it in after a few years, and you don't have to start from fresh with repayments. With a C6, you pretty much would. Pop stars, football players, tycoons, these people don't care about depreciation. Everyone else does.

Edited by rixalex

When you buy a good car its not about the money.. unless you're trying to get a longer ego-penis. Good cars are like women, You get the best one and you make sure no one else gets to ride it, ever. When you switch, nothing matters but getting the newest bestest model.

haha

Well, I fit your age profile, but I've only had to work 10 years of my life so far, and I'm not pissy about the prices here in Thailand, just pragmatic :D

Well, I only had to work for the first 6 years, the last 4 have been out of choice :P

God, where did l go wrong. :crying:

I'm from the UK. One of the most beautiful cars on the road is the Citroen C6. It sells however in tiny numbers, like most big French cars. Why? Well, one of the main reasons is depreciation. If you buy a BM or a Benz you can trade it in after a few years, and you don't have to start from fresh with repayments. With a C6, you pretty much would. Pop stars, football players, tycoons, these people don't care about depreciation. Everyone else does.

Citroen C6 :huh:, just shows how different we all are to motor beauty. :)

Must have been a PITA (Pain In The Ass) to get the food out from between the keyboard keys :lol:

Fortunately my downstairs toilet is only feet from the computer desk in the living room, a strategic location that is :D ..

Fortunately my downstairs toilet is only feet from the computer desk in the living room, a strategic location that is :D ..

Is the Loo seat Suede ?

Is the Loo seat Suede ?

Nope! Only the finest Vigo plastic for my toilet <_< ..

When you buy a good car its not about the money.. unless you're trying to get a longer ego-penis. Good cars are like women, You get the best one and you make sure no one else gets to ride it, ever. When you switch, nothing matters but getting the newest bestest model.

Perhaps for you, but not for me..

Nice cars are like fantastic holiday destinations - great fun when you share the fun with friends, but completely devoid of all excitement when you do them alone.

They're also a bit like hot girlfriends in a way though - no matter how besotted you are right now, there will always be a new model that comes along and catches your eye, hehe :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Why is depreciation such a concern when one buys a car? A car is just one of many durable consumer goods that one generally purchases throughout one's lifetime. At a later date, it may have some residual value or its value may have been totally consumed and it goes to the scrap heap. Generally, people don't consider residual value when purchasing consumable consumer goods. When one buys a washing machine or refrigerator, do you consider it's future value when deciding which model to buy...or do you select on features, design, and price? I would offer that the same makes the most sense for an auto purchase as well.

The value of a car comes from the transportation services it provides during its lifetime...not what it may be worth at some future point in time.

Edited by FarangBuddha

i swear some people in here buy their underwear at Makro instead of tesco because they might have to sell their possesitions to pay for beer or something..

money and life is supposed to be enjoyed, buying a car for resale value is just wasting your life away.

i swear some people in here buy their underwear at Makro instead of tesco because they might have to sell their possessions to pay for beer or something..

money and life is supposed to be enjoyed, buying a car for resale value is just wasting your life away.

That is a matter of opinion. :)

Lots of people out there with lots of cash but not enjoying '' their '' life and visa-verse. :huh:

Gong :lol:

Hello Farang Buddha,

A refrigerator or washing machine I'll use maybe 10 years.

To drive 10 years the same bloody car would be a little boring, hence people with limited financial funds have a tendency to have a look at the depreciation.

Of course I accept your opinion, if you say a car is just for transportation, then it doesn't matter you have a new one every 2 or 20 years.

You wrote:

The value of a car comes from the transportation services it provides during its lifetime.

Sometimes there is a life for a car when one don't need it anymore (or one don't want it anymore).

It is like a new life circle for the car, it will be reborn and loved by the new parents (who can't afford or don't want to spend so much money to drive a brand new car :lol:)

The car maybe be reborn several times until it finds his way to Nirvana (scrap yard).

In case of the Cruze I think it maybe comes rather early to Nirvana B) , but it made at least one owner, who happens to be a member of Thaivisa.com, very happy during it's life

cycle.

Moral of the story?

Life is suffering, especially if you drive a Chevrolet :P

Amen.

@Thailand

You are clearly a high roller, that goes for all or nothing,

because I've never seen any underwear at Makro.

Isnt there a Bestest Models Section in the Ladies Forum ..How old are you 16.?.:angry: