Dine From 99 Now Open

BugJackBaron

Yep the one in Jomtien now open. Looked at the menu this morning and was hard pressed to find anything at 99 Baht., Breakfast will set you back from 120 to 200..

I cannot figure out who this is targeting. The ad targets cheap-charlies but the prices target rich Russian and norwegian condo owners - typical of that area of Jomtien.

Seems like Jomtien has yet to get it's version of Kiss and I can't see them lasting.

In other news Lovejoys has been closed by police order.

Edited by BugJackBaron

That's pretty sleazy in a bizarre way! Named after 99 baht and no 99 baht. However, human nature being what it is, they will probably get lots of one offs looking for a deal and being too embarrassed or lazy to walk out.

I would be very surprised if a place with that kind of business ethics serves great food, whatever their price.

There is that place on that soi open 24 hours with cheap food. However, sadly the quality of their food makes Kiss look gourmet. Kiss in Jomtien? A good idea.

Edited by Jingthing

Granted -it is many years since i went to Kiss, But for a good reason.

I could stand on the table, waving and shouting for attention well over 5 minutes before any waitress forgot herself and had a glance over at where i was sitting so i could finally get my bill, pay, and leave. Kind of wonder if they would notice if i just left after a dozen futile attempts.

I found that the only way to make it work is to demand the bill right when i order so i can pay when i get my stuff.

KISS. I always get the feeling they hate the customers. Very unfriendly.

There are so many vendors walking and and aggressively peddling their stuff.

Last time there I felt like throwing a plate of food at the inconsiderate jerks.

Not a good atmosphere to enjoy a meal.

I somehow doubt that rich Russians go for a 120 - 200 Baht breakfast. Add a zero and you're closer by. B)

I don't know about that.... The Russians I have seen have been rather tight. :whistling:

yeah....but weren't we talking about the "rich" Russians?

I had a look inside yesterday afternoon. There's a big board on the wall that lists their daily specials. I can't recall them all now, but there was a burger and fries on a Monday (I think), then mashed potatoes, gravy and some other things the next day, and so on, all priced at 145 Baht. The prices sound similar to Antz, which is not exactly gourmet quality, but it's certainly edible and fair value. I'd guess, given the success of Antz (during the high season, at least), they are trying for the same market in a much more visible location.

It all depends what the breakfast is. I'll certainly not pay anywhere near 99 baht for 2 eggs and a square of ham with 2 slices the cheapest bread money can buy.

Call me a cheap-charlie but I fail to see why my hard earned money buys rubbish. I'd sooner give 20 baht to each of the nearest five beggars.

Last time there I felt like throwing a plate of food at the inconsiderate jerks.

totaly agree with you paul

after every bite of food someone asking you to buy something

can never enjoy what your eating

charlie

charlie

i'm actually no fan of KISS - except for the 24 hours and cheap price for coffee and eggs. Their food is mediocre at best. My point was that there is no reason why service with a smile(hey land of smiles?) couldn't come with a reasonable price for an edible basic breakfast. There are plenty of better examples in Pattaya than Kiss but sadly few in Jomtien..

Actually I usually just buy KAI LOUA - boiled egg-yolk in a cup for 10 Baht from the friendly egg man with his cart.

As for Lovejoys - nobody is talking so it's time to call the crack team of investigative TV reporters!ohmy.gif

It all depends what the breakfast is. I'll certainly not pay anywhere near 99 baht for 2 eggs and a square of ham with 2 slices the cheapest bread money can buy.

Call me a cheap-charlie but I fail to see why my hard earned money buys rubbish. I'd sooner give 20 baht to each of the nearest five beggars.

Ok, you are a cheap-charlie, and there are a couple of threads about hard done by beggar farangs; apparently they could use your 20 baht and insight about what to pay for breakfast.

At the moment the best thai food place in jomtien is a restaurant opposite soi 5 just a cross the road and they have draught 1 liter for 99 baht. My favorite there chicken cashey nuts - 50 baht.

Breakfast and burgers place definitely simple simon soi 5 also.

Edited by Gik

At the moment the best thai food place in jomtien is a restaurant opposite soi 5 just a cross the road and they have draught 1 liter for 99 baht. My favorite there chicken cashey nuts - 50 baht.

Breakfast and burgers place definitely simple simon soi 5 also.

Interesting, but is it me, or do others find the "directions" for the first restaurant not helpful? I'd like to know where the first place is exactly, if you don't know the name, can you take a stab at more details so we can find it?

BTW, I think the Thai food at SURF KITCHEN is good for the neighborhood. It seems most of the customers are Russians ordering from their western menu, but I have found many of their Thai dishes done well and priced fairly. Surprising really for a tourist type place right on the the beach road. Only caveat, if you like it Thai spiced you better say so.

http://www.farangfriendly.com/Company/Surf-Kitchen-Jomtien-35022.aspx

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting, but is it me, or do others find the "directions" for the first restaurant not helpful? I'd like to know where the first place is exactly, if you don't know the name, can you take a stab at more details so we can find it?

It is located on the jomtien second road across soi 5. There is a big market close by. The name is something like smiling pig with laughing pig on green banner.

google map http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=12.898545,100.872493&hl=en&ll=12.898284,100.870607&spn=0.005449,0.013947&sll=12.897625,100.872656&sspn=0.005124,0.009903&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=17&z=17

Surf kitchen is good but a little expensive for usual daily routine.

It is located on the jomtien second road across soi 5. There is a big market close by. The name is something like smiling pig with laughing pig on green banner.

google map http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=12.898545,100.872493&hl=en&ll=12.898284,100.870607&spn=0.005449,0.013947&sll=12.897625,100.872656&sspn=0.005124,0.009903&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=17&z=17

Surf kitchen is good but a little expensive for usual daily routine.

Thanks. Sure I know that place. It is a good find for sure. I reread your original directions and they were fine; I haven't had my coffee yet.

Yeah Surf is a bit pricier, but that market place has a limited menu, and doesn't have dishes like hor muk talay, sator beans with shrimp and chili sauce, steamed mussels, roast duck curry, Yum Pla Dook Foo, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

Ok, you are a cheap-charlie, and there are a couple of threads about hard done by beggar farangs; apparently they could use your 20 baht and insight about what to pay for breakfast.

I think he is rather the opposite, someone who wants value for money.

"99 baht for 2 eggs and a square of ham with 2 slices the cheapest bread money can buy" is no value for money, I fully agree. Rather pay twice as that and get something decent.

• 1 month later...

I tried the Dine for 99 in Jomtien 3 times over the last 2 weeks with my girlfriend and found the specials to be of good value. The single daily specials 145 baht (one for each day of the week) I tried were good and the 2 Thai dishes for 129 baht (10 choices) were good value. There are 3 specials for 99 everyday on a wall sign (2 being chili and spagetti) but I didn't try them.

The regular menu to be honest looked very expensive for a non air conditioned open air restaurant. Drinks in general were very expensive with water at 30 baht.

Edited by gerry53

charlie

i'm actually no fan of KISS - except for the 24 hours and cheap price for coffee and eggs. Their food is mediocre at best. My point was that there is no reason why service with a smile(hey land of smiles?) couldn't come with a reasonable price for an edible basic breakfast. There are plenty of better examples in Pattaya than Kiss but sadly few in Jomtien..

Actually I usually just buy KAI LOUA - boiled egg-yolk in a cup for 10 Baht from the friendly egg man with his cart.

As for Lovejoys - nobody is talking so it's time to call the crack team of investigative TV reporters!ohmy.gif

Kiss can kiss my arse, was there about 1 year ago and will never go again.

charlie

For all the contempt of Kiss here, all the recommendations for other restaurants, Kiss continues to do great business year round.

Happened to stop in there recently (long story) around 2 pm and could hardly find a seat, it was so crowded. The TV membership seems out of touch with the tastes of the average Pattaya tourist/denizen.

I know how to deal w/ Kiss, however. Just go get your own menu. When you get your food, get the bill with it. When you're finished, take your bill to the cashier. You can get out 30 min faster that way. :)

Edited by JSixpack

[

(i'm actually no fan of KISS - except for the 24 hours and cheap price for coffee and eggs. Their food is mediocre at best. My point was that there is no reason why service with a smile(hey land of smiles?) couldn't come with a reasonable price for an edible basic breakfast. There are plenty of better examples in Pattaya than Kiss but sadly few in Jomtien..

For all the contempt of Kiss here, all the recommendations for other restaurants, Kiss continues to do great business year round.

Happened to stop in there recently (long story) around 2 pm and could hardly find a seat, it was so crowded. The TV membership seems out of touch with the tastes of the average Pattaya tourist/denizen.

I know how to deal w/ Kiss, however. Just go get your own menu. When you get your food, get the bill with it. When you're finished, take your bill to the cashier. You can get out 30 min faster that way. :)

)

Kiss is good for the money .

Edited by Thaifan2

McDonalds, Starbucks, KFC and all the other US chains do a roaring trade here but I wouldn't set foot in any of them. Overpriced pap.

Just because many idiots like something doesn't make it any good, it just makes it popular.

Rather than get my own menu, get the check bin with food, pay my own bill and put up with rude food servers (and sellers) I would rather cook for myself! Better yet I'll find a restaurant that I am happy with.

when looking for lovejoys last night for a Drink, The first one in Jomiten is been knocked down and the one on the Hill has its Price board on Its Side and roller shutter downs down.

I used to like spending a Few hours just for their Music Videos.

it was only last year that they were looking for investors. (they had a sign up saying that it was a good Investment)

For food < surf kitchen takes some beating, I did a review on Trip adviser last year. Walkabout on Soi 9 does a good Breakfast.

malc

PS , Just found this interesting link on Love joys. http://www.wix.com/lovejoyspattaya/lovejoys#!

Edited by malct

McDonalds, Starbucks, KFC and all the other US chains do a roaring trade here but I wouldn't set foot in any of them. Overpriced pap.

Just because many idiots like something doesn't make it any good, it just makes it popular.

I'm sure that the CEOs of these establishments are really depressed that a discriminating gentleman such as yourself is boycotting them. :D

I'm sure that the CEOs of these establishments are really depressed that a discriminating gentleman such as yourself is boycotting them. :D

I should worry.

I own shares in a couple of restaurant chains but I dont eat there. Also own shares in Apple but would never own an Apple product. Neither is a boycott: I just think the products are overpriced and above all not to my taste, and so I don't buy them. A boycott is something very different indeed as it involves choosing not to buy something for reasons that are unrelated to its value or quality.

Lots of clowns around that do like those things though, and their cash keeps paying my dividends. :)

I should worry.

I own shares in a couple of restaurant chains but I dont eat there. Also own shares in Apple but would never own an Apple product. Neither is a boycott: I just think the products are overpriced and above all not to my taste, and so I don't buy them. A boycott is something very different indeed as it involves choosing not to buy something for reasons that are unrelated to its value or quality.

Lots of clowns around that do like those things though, and their cash keeps paying my dividends. :)

the dividends must be so good that you could afford to get 2 pairs of 650baht trainers then?

I never have that problem at the north Kiss by the roundabout.