Suicide In Thailand

MrsMills

In Western countries people are choosing to kill themselves, nobody says a word about these suicides, nothing suspicious, just a suicide.

Yet, in Thailand, a country were many Farangs end up destitute with no social services to fall back on, a Farang commits suicide and fellow farangs think it's a cover up, he was pushed etc etc.

Remember a few years ago when the Italian guy jumped of the bridge and his head came off, Thai Visas crime investigation armchair unit was speculating that he was killed by the Russian mafia, killed by a ladyboy, killed by the local mafia, etc etc etc..

Turned out he was just another skint Farang who didn't wanna go back home, personally, I'm surprised there are so few suicides here.

The reason to doubt suicide here is that unlike in the west the police is corrupt and lazy (ok maybe some lazy coppers in the west too). I am sure many suicides are suicides, and if i ever end up dead there is a big chance i decided to kill myself.

I absolutely consider it an option if i had nothing to live for. I am also pro euthanasia so i don't want to live as a vegetable. I got no crazy religion telling me its something i should not do. I would not do it though if my parents were still alive.

Anyway there are loads of suspicious suicides and even in many murder cases the police has been bribed. Its part of Thailand. Does it mean all cops are corrupt.. nope.. does it mean there is reason to doubt the cops. Sure.

In the west, suicides are investigated as well for possible murder, and people rationally have no confidence in the motivation Thai police would have in investing time and resources investigating suicides of foreigners in Thailand. It's pretty much objective truth that western police forces in general are more ethical than Thai police. Western police are paid OK unlike Thai police, and have a lower rate of corruption as well (related to the pay of course but also cultural differences).

I am also pro euthanasia so i don't want to live as a vegetable.

Yea Rob, it would be terrible, sitting in front of a PC all day tapping out hundreds of meaningless posts whilst life is passing you by in the real world.... Hey, Wait a minute !!! :)

Yea Rob, it would be terrible, sitting in front of a PC all day tapping out hundreds of meaningless posts whilst life is passing you by in the real world.... Hey, Wait a minute !!! :)

Yea that is me.. only thing is when im behind the computer i usually work too. That is how i make a living. Without money from that i would be limited in what i could do in my free time. Money doesn't grow on trees ..

Before i get many PM's encouraging to kill myself, for now im absolutely happy and have no reason to contemplate it. I just don't rule it out and i have thought about it in a what if scenario.

Awww, come on, even if its only for ThaiVisa rumor mongering, we could all speculate on your demise, think about it at least, we could dedicate a whole thread to you.

Before i get many PM's encouraging to kill myself, for now im absolutely happy and have no reason to contemplate it. I just don't rule it out and i have thought about it in a what if scenario.

Awww, come on, even if its only for ThaiVisa rumor mongering, we could all speculate on your demise, think about it at least, we could dedicate a whole thread to you.

Hahahaha would be good for Thaivisa.. I would not care anyway as i would be dead. But if i end up full of bullet holes, it is not suicide :D

Hahahaha would be good for Thaivisa.. I would not care anyway as i would be dead. But if i end up full of bullet holes, it is not suicide :D

Good man. :)

I'm a bit loathed to post on such an odd topic but i am curious to know what bizarre point the OP is trying to prove? I hope the mods close this..... the grounds of bad taste should suffice.

Were you one of the posters who said it was a Russian Mafia job on the Italian ? :D

Edited by MrsMills

Isn't that why so many old farang come here? The youth in Asia? Gives them something to live for even when they become vegetables.

(You need spell-checker, Rob). :whistling:

Edited by happyrobert

Isn't that why so many old farang come here? The youth in Asia? Gives them something to live for even when they become vegetables.

Hahahaha maybe i need one but i was dead serious.. you get it dead serious :D

Just don't believe in living when my body or mind stops.

Hahahaha maybe i need one but i was dead serious.. you get it dead serious :D

Just don't believe in living when my body or mind stops.

I understand. Yet, there seem to be many posters whose minds have stopped and they keep posting. Never give up, Robblok!

How about drowning in 1 foot of water or falling from a window ledge where the window is sealed? Would that count as well?

" a Farang commits suicide and fellow farangs think it's a cover up "

I don't know about other farangs but it's a cover-up when the circumstances are such that it is ridiculous to call it a suicide.

And from the media reports ( although they are not brilliant either ) there do seem to be a few of those. For example

when someone is hanging by a rope with his hands tied then it obviously needs further investigation. :blink:

Thailand needs this person to sort out what is suicide or not!

post-6925-0-08953700-1312790339_thumb.jp

Edited by midas

" a Farang commits suicide and fellow farangs think it's a cover up "

I don't know about other farangs but it's a cover-up when the circumstances are such that it is ridiculous to call it a suicide.

And from the media reports ( although they are not brilliant either ) there do seem to be a few of those. For example

when someone is hanging by a rope with his hands tied then it obviously needs further investigation. :blink:

Thailand needs this person to sort out what is suicide or not!

And you think that the Police would report anything untoward if there was any doubt, why would it be reported ?

Its like the guys that off themselves with the plastic bags on their heads and handcuffs, this is done so that their natural life preserving instincts wont kick in, as Tom Jones said, 'It's not Unusual'

Can you imagine the ThaiVisa speculation if this had happened here ? http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2010/08/cause_of_death_for_woman_found.html

Yea that is me.. only thing is when im behind the computer i usually work too. That is how i make a living. Without money from that i would be limited in what i could do in my free time. Money doesn't grow on trees ..

It does if you got you self a few rai of Durain trees...seen how much they sell for down the market rolleyes.gif

lol, here comes my first chuckle of the day :), I can always count on Mrs Mills for this !

actually attempted suicide is a crime in some places

btw Mrs Mills what is your view on that Kung <deleted> guy who died mysteriously in Bkk are we allowed to discuss that one or he was he a down on his luck actor who couldn't catch a break

Edited by tailspin

I don't know about Mr. Mills, but if I had to climb into bed with your avatar I might contemplate suicide :D

Climb into bed? i'd rather give her piano one.

Edited by MAJIC

The cause of deaths one sees in the foreign community most likely fall into one of the following categories; vehicle crash, lifestyle related, pre-existing health condition and misadventure. The suspicious deaths often called "murders" by some people always seem to involve an older male with a drug/alcohol problem, or mental health issues, or an association with criminals or a pre-existing chronic illness. The suicides we read about in the news usually share he characteristics of the demographic groups most likely to evidence suicide.

Ever notice that non-drinkers, or happy people in good physical health never end up dead by way of suicide? How come there are no suspicious suicides of farang women? It's always the same scenario, older caucasian male with a chronic illness that drinks too much or demonstrated anti-social tendencies. Yes, there are deaths sometimes labeled as suicide when the reports are first made in the news, but keep in mind that these are often the result of the local papers drawing a conclusion.

The assumption that there are extensive investigations on dead bodies in the west is a myth. Most dead bodies are given a cursory exam and even suspicious deaths do not receive a full autopsy. A basic poke and flip costs approx.. $2000 USD/AUD/CAD. Many of the people performing the exams are not experienced forensic pathologists. The reason for this that there is a shortage of experienced personnel. It takes a good 10 years to train a top quality examiner. Slicing and dicing corpses is not as lucrative as doing pathology on living subjects. There are backlogs of specimens in almost every western facility. There is scandal after scandal in western jurisdictions of bungled forensic examinations where the pathologist fudged the results. Governments cannot afford full blown examinations. Imagine a government spending upwards of 10,000 to 25,000 dollars or euros on the type of tests as seen on the telly. There would be no money left for the care of the living.What do you think happens with most dead vagarants found on the streets of London or NYC, or Vancouver? They don't get full autopsies.

Edited by geriatrickid

Suicide amongst expats doesn't really surprise me that much as, in my experience, a lot of guys who make their way to LOS are carrying a whole cargo hold load of excess baggage from their previous life.

Apart from the well known issue of shoddy (or at least dismissive) police work, it's understandable why a lot of folks might not want to admit to themselves that they are on similar 'no way out' life paths: increasing expenses, diminishing income and assets, bridges long since burnt... Believing that a particular case must have been murder at least provides a glimmer of hope that there will be a way out... 'the deceased was going to find a way, but his life was simply cut short before he was about to make it.'

:)

I don`t agree that suicide is an easy way out for cowards, as it must take a lot of guts to kill one`s self.

Nature imposes that every living thing must survive, even an insect will struggle to hang on to it`s life.

Many people may suffer from depression, financial ruin, a broken romance or grieve over a loved one and then they can sometimes be left to deal with a situation entirely on they're own. Feeling isolated with no one to turn to, these people may see no hope ahead and no way out for them. Then when the emotional trauma becomes too great, they suddenly decide to kill themselves.

i know because I`ve had first hand experience of this while working for the Samaritans in New york for a number of years.

The fact is that in this world, no one cares about us enough to put resources into people when they hit rock bottom.

The attitude is; a friend in desperate need is to be avoided. I once had a so called friend who`s philosophy was; pity is a sign of weakness. And unfortunately many share those same beliefs.

It`s easy to classify these people as losers or just more skint farangs, but all I can add to this is; just hope that none of us ever reach a point of rock bottom, because if it does, no one will truly care.

Sad but true.

Edited by Beetlejuice