Buying Old Cbr 400 Or Cb 400

kamluan

i really want to buy a 400 cc bike,a starter bike,

but i can not afford it to pay it in one time ,of course i could pay 30.000 first time,but after that i would pay montly payments.

I am looking for a 60.000 bath bike,

can i sucseed in finding this in pattaya and where i need to look?

At the kawa shop i could pay 50.000 and montly payments of 5000 bath....but i am looking for something cheaper and not new as i am a newbie,and rent a kawa ninja 250 almost 2 weekends every month..

Any suggestions?a good used starter bike preference 400cc,

kind regards

kamluan

Be aware that if you buy a cheap, old cb/cbr400 with all your budget, after a week or so it's likely to sit outside your house until you can afford to get it fixed.

Many end up with 400cc money pits.

Buying with your head instead of your heart isn't easy, but there isn't many options for 50,000thb besides 150s that are reliable and easy to fix up here. Many of the old imports will have been run ragged and poorly maintained (if maintained at all) and fitted with cheap local imitation parts by the locals. Sure there will be exceptions to the rule but I'd personally think quite hard about spending all your budget on one of these if you need a reliable bike.

Edited by hehehoho

I was lucky and found a Yamaha Virago 535 with the all important green book but I was looking on and off for about 6 months before I found it.

It needed some work done on it and as with most older bigger bikes there is no dealer support so you will need a good local mechanic to get spares and keep it on the road.

There is a guy in Nakhon Sawan that I go to and he has a few old bikes but NO green books with them or I would have bought something from him.

I have seen some beautiful bikes on Tarad.com but no green books to go with them.

Keep looking and you will be lucky.

Unfortunately a bit late now but i sold (felt like giving it away) my CBR400 for 50,000 ...after untold hours working on it, and spending over 130,000.

Wasnt much on the bike that wasnt renewed or serviced. And i let the guy drip pay also. Full papers and legal green book.

post-78830-0-49553100-1312963582_thumb.j

post-78830-0-59633800-1312963598_thumb.j

Op you would be better off getting a brand new Honda Cbr250.

I would have to second that! Far far better than buying an old 400 that will be a never ending money pit. The 400 purchase price in reality becomes the down payment with the never ending maintanence costs being the monthly payments. The difference in power is a factor sure, but far better to arrive a few seconds later with the 250 (maybe) and not have to push the bike home.....I know from experience.

I would have to second that! Far far better than buying an old 400 that will be a never ending money pit. The 400 purchase price in reality becomes the down payment with the never ending maintanence costs being the monthly payments. The difference in power is a factor sure, but far better to arrive a few seconds later with the 250 (maybe) and not have to push the bike home.....I know from experience.

Or get a second hand Ninja 250, best of all worlds - bullet proof, good looking, quick, and low depreciation once it's dropped to the RRP price of a new CBR.

Unless of course you can find a 400 like the one posted above at 50k, I'd have been all over that myself.

Or get a second hand Ninja 250, best of all worlds - bullet proof, good looking, quick, and low depreciation once it's dropped to the RRP price of a new CBR.

Unless of course you can find a 400 like the one posted above at 50k, I'd have been all over that myself.

i would get the ninja 250 second hand..but these bikes are in the range of 110000 up....

so a cb 400 or cbr 400.

If the price is higher the monthly payments will too and this is what i not want,and i am almost sure that in my priceclass i will sucseed....

and lucky to buy a good bike.

i went to look for a honda 250r....

but whit montly payments it's just far to expensive....

and because it's kind of new model...second hand's will be also to expensive for me...

i know...dont have the money dont drive a big bike.....

but i am sure that i will get what i want...

i hope.

kamluan

I had the same "brilliant" idea, and bought a 50K/Baht 400cc Suzuki, some months ago.. B)

And yes, it fulfilled all the negative clichés, mentioned above.

But ok, I knew the Bike would need some work.

And its only a toy, but for every day use....never.

Biggest problem ist the spare parts situation for these old (grey imported) Bikes.

In my case, I bought all the necessary parts (most new and a 2nd hand clutch), on my last germany trip and brought them into thailand, when I came back.

Defects/failures etc. pp. that I found (so far)

1. poorly maintained

2. chain and sprockets ok, but from rear sprocket, all bolts could be loosened with the fingers. (thanks to some somchai)

3. clutch was "fixed" before with wrong/mixed/selfmade parts and parts from a 125 Suzuki :ph34r:

4. three different sorts of spark plugs

5. Brake pads were "thai quality" and had to be replaced.

6. fork seals leaky

7. and many minor things.....

Summary:

First: Bikes in this price range are ~20 years (or more) old. Usually, they don't need to be fixed, they need to be restored/rebuild. :lol:

If you have enough time and boredom, a good source for spare parts, the necessary tools, knowledge/skills and a garage/place to fix everything, you "could" buy such a bike.

If you need the work done by a "mechanic/somchai", or want a reliable Bike for "every day commute", these Bikes are a 100% "nogo"

OP; most posters says don't do it so why do you still insists of getting an old bike like that?

If your budget is so tight you have 2 options in my opinion, either don't buy anything or go back to your home country and earn some more money before buying something decent that can put a smile on your face and get you home each time.

You can also go a complete different way and buy a second hand Honda Wave for maybe 25.000 bath with 4 gears and a top speed of app. 100 km/h, one poster in this forum here rode from Pattaya- Chang Mai- Pattaya on one and sounds like he had a good time doing it, albeit got a sore arse in the process, he-he.

A small bike is also fun to ride I think, I enjoy my daily city rides on our Fino.

i went to look for a honda 250r....

but whit montly payments it's just far to expensive....

and because it's kind of new model...second hand's will be also to expensive for me...

i know...dont have the money dont drive a big bike.....

but i am sure that i will get what i want...

i hope.

kamluan

If u are renting twice a month 2 days a time...... wouldnt that about equal the monthly repayments?

maybe look at a CBR 150 New and warranty. there's actually not that much difference in performance up to 120kph or so. (in fact will see a Ninja 250 off from standing starts untill get to higher speeds) (Ooops now wait for the flames)

Ive done over 100,000km on the old model 150 including 600km trips at considerably over the legal speed limits. In fact Ive done the same trips on 600s too and the elapsed time wasnt that much different even at that distance. Sure could go considerably faster on the 600..... but safety also comes into the equation in Thailand which evens out the average speeds achievable.

And as money is an issue, dont forget the fuel costs. The CBR 400 will get thru at least 3 times the amount of fuel as the FI 150 or 250 CBRs Probably considerably more if ur heavy handed on the throttle I used to commute 100Km to work and back, I stopped using the 400 soley because of the fuel cost difference. Gas guzzlers for sure.

I had the same "brilliant" idea, and bought a 50K/Baht 400cc Suzuki, some months ago.. B)

And yes, it fulfilled all the negative clichés, mentioned above.

But ok, I knew the Bike would need some work.

And its only a toy, but for every day use....never.

Biggest problem ist the spare parts situation for these old (grey imported) Bikes.

In my case, I bought all the necessary parts (most new and a 2nd hand clutch), on my last germany trip and brought them into thailand, when I came back.

1. poorly maintained

2. chain and sprockets ok, but from rear sprocket, all bolts could be loosened with the fingers. (thanks to some somchai)

3. clutch was "fixed" before with wrong/mixed/selfmade parts and parts from a 125 Suzuki :ph34r:

6. fork seals leaky

7. and many minor things.....

Summary:

First: Bikes in this price range are ~20 years (or more) old. Usually, they don't need to be fixed, they need to be restored/rebuild. :lol:

If you have enough time and boredom, a good source for spare parts, the necessary tools, knowledge/skills and a garage/place to fix everything, you "could" buy such a bike.

If you need the work done by a "mechanic/somchai", or want a reliable Bike for "every day commute", these Bikes are a 100% "nogo"

1. poorly maintained

6. fork seals leaky

7. and many minor things

I this would be normal to any second hand ( with a few years on it) bought in Thailand.

Don't see why a 400 bike would differ from let's say a 250? And those defects you mentioned can't be too expensive to fix. :)

Edited by Semper

I this would be normal to any second hand ( with a few years on it) bought in Thailand.

Don't see why a 400 bike would differ from let's say a 250? And those defects you mentioned can't be too expensive to fix. :)

Sure, I think there is no difference, regarding the poor maintenance between 250 + 400 cc bikes.

And no, it wasn't too expensive to fix the defects, but as mentioned before, it's a problem with spare parts sources.

I couldn't find some needed parts here in TH. (In acceptable condition)

Especially the complete clutch, which I needed, because of somchais former "repair"

My fortune, that my Airline gives me 30 KG of free luggage.

I think, the last time, I used ~20 kg only for Bike parts and tools... B)

But as always, you get what you pay for.

But, on the other hand, I doubt that a 2nd hand "Big-Bike" in the 70-100kBt range, would be in much better condition.

TiT

So maybe (sometimes) better to buy for 50K and invest 20K in needed new parts, tyres, etc. And you know, its all done.

Just my 50 Satang...

Question:

Would I buy such a bike again?

Yes, because I like to work ok Motorbikes.

And because I do the work by myself, I can be sure it's done correctly and not "somchai-style"

Kawa 650s will probably be down to that in 7 years time. Though they'll probably have done 400,000km without an oil change. :rolleyes:

If needing everyday reliable use, the only big bike I'd go for would be those sold here through the dealers. Unfortunately that's a rather limited selection.

Edited by hehehoho

never drove an nsr,...but i will wait a few month so my budget will be higher.

Unless i get an offer or see some like the 50k bike on this thread/post.

I will listen to the experiends guys here and will wait and not buy the first bike that appears ....

I really dont wanna know how long the ladies yekking would be.. if i come home whit they bike in my hands...pushing it ...

Confused now....because my heart really wants it...

I will need to sell many cheeseburger the next months and kapsalon shoarmas..but i will sucsees and soon you will see me...miep miep zoefffff.....

Buy an NSR150 for one year, and start saving. In 12 months time there'll probably be a few kawa650s going around for 150k thb.

That would be the sensible option imo. Of course heart often over rules head, but there'd likely be a lot less tears shed in the long run.

Buy an NSR150 for one year, and start saving. In 12 months time there'll probably be a few kawa650s going around for 150k thb.

That would be the sensible option imo. Of course heart often over rules head, but there'd likely be a lot less tears shed in the long run.

What about the gasoline available for the NSR (if one is not living in Bkk) ?

OP; most posters says don't do it so why do you still insists of getting an old bike like that?

If your budget is so tight you have 2 options in my opinion, either don't buy anything or go back to your home country and earn some more money before buying something decent that can put a smile on your face and get you home each time.

You can also go a complete different way and buy a second hand Honda Wave for maybe 25.000 bath with 4 gears and a top speed of app. 100 km/h, one poster in this forum here rode from Pattaya- Chang Mai- Pattaya on one and sounds like he had a good time doing it, albeit got a sore arse in the process, he-he.

A small bike is also fun to ride I think, I enjoy my daily city rides on our Fino.

Guzzi, good points; also if the poster has 50k to spend, then buy a new from the dealership, greenbook, warranty, LEGAL. You can still get a FI Honda or Yamaha and still have a bunch of fun. I have a 9 year old Honda Sonic 125 (and still going strong), which I still enjoy a blast on once in awhile and daily stuff. :D