Thailand: Nock-Ten tropical storm death toll reaches 22

News_Editor

Thailand: Nock-Ten tropical storm death toll reaches 22

2011-08-11 07:21:12 GMT+7 (ICT)

BANGKOK, THAILAND (BNO NEWS) -- The death toll in Thailand's storm-triggered flash floods has reached 22 following the latest fatalities, officials said Wednesday.

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said the Nock-Ten tropical storm has affected 22 provinces in Thailand's North, Northeast and Central Plains, the Bangkok Post reported.

The highest number of deaths was reported in Mae Hong Son, where seven people have died, Director-general Wibul Sanguanpong said. Six deaths were reported in Phrae, while Sukhothai had 4. Meanwhile, Chiang Mai and Nakhon Phanom reported two fatalities each and Udon Thani, one. One person has been reported missing as well.

The Nock-Ten tropical storm has affected at least 1,371,137 people, as it has triggered several flash floods throughout the country. In addition, 619,723 rai of crop fields have been damaged, Sanguanpong stated.

As of Wednesday, flood waters were still affecting 411,585 people, inundating the provinces of Phrae, Sukhothai, Uttaradit, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Tak, Nakhon Sawan, Ayutthaya and Mukdahan.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-08-11

Thailand weather and forecasts:

Follow this link: http://weather.thaivisa.com/

it amazes me that no one blamed this on the swiss,german,english,canadian,saudies BIB, Thaksin, thaksins sister , and everyone else that TV regulars complain about .I find that I have to sift to alot of bs, to get a maybe answer to someones question.

"As of Wednesday, flood waters were still affecting 411,585 people"

This figure is clearly wrong. My mother-in-law was taking a dump when they came round and did the count - it should be 411,586 people.

Im sorry to inform you that if your Mother in law was taking a dump then clearly she was infact not affected by the storm and the number quoted remains correct.

If she could not have taken a dump due to flood etc then she would have been affected and of course then included.

Seems to me somebody took the time to look up the actual number of people the last census says are living in the affected areas and calculated the total. The Ministry of Interior and Irrigation Department probably have satellite maps and modelling software that can easily calculate their size of the flooded areas with great accuracy. Of course nobody knows exactly how many people are affected and how much damage is done and how much area is affected. But what's wrong with best effort at trying to achieve the most accurate numbers possible? Everybody probably already knows in their heart that environmental degradation and deforrestation are the root causes so not so easy to pick out the villain and affix blame.

Seems to me somebody took the time to look up the actual number of people the last census says are living in the affected areas and calculated the total. The Ministry of Interior and Irrigation Department probably have satellite maps and modelling software that can easily calculate their size of the flooded areas with great accuracy. Of course nobody knows exactly how many people are affected and how much damage is done and how much area is affected. But what's wrong with best effort at trying to achieve the most accurate numbers possible? Everybody probably already knows in their heart that environmental degradation and deforrestation are the root causes so not so easy to pick out the villain and affix blame.

I imagine if you ask the locals who is responsible for the deforestation, they know exactly who is to blame. However if you ask the authorities to do anything about it.......

I hope that Yingluck has paid several visits to the affected people, as they are the voters that put her there in government - just as Abhisit did when we had floods in the South.

I haven;t seen any reported visits (correct me if I'm wrong) but I suspect now that she has her prize then checking up on their welfare are well down her list of "to do's" as she has more pressing matters such as getting an amnesty for her brother (not affected by the floods or in continuing hardship, incidentaly) just determined, obsessed more like it, about getting his frozen billions back!!!

I hope that Yingluck has paid several visits to the affected people, as they are the voters that put her there in government - just as Abhisit did when we had floods in the South.

I haven;t seen any reported visits (correct me if I'm wrong) but I suspect now that she has her prize then checking up on their welfare are well down her list of "to do's" as she has more pressing matters such as getting an amnesty for her brother (not affected by the floods or in continuing hardship, incidentaly) just determined, obsessed more like it, about getting his frozen billions back!!!

She unfortunately can not come to see the voters because of the new cutbacks.

The new government needs the money to pay the agreed 300BT per day minimum wage and also they have to order the agreed tablets for the childeren. We apologize for the inconvenience.

She unfortunately can not come to see the voters because of the new cutbacks.

The new government needs the money to pay the agreed 300BT per day minimum wage and also they have to order the agreed tablets for the childeren. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Yes!! I suppose that she does have a few problematic things to sort out - but they are her doing, remember.

I understand that she is going to pay a visit on Saturday and give a few food parcels out to some people. It's a shame that she has to wait until Saturday - but it cannot be seen to inconvenience her too much, can it, as she probably has a hair appointment at the local salon on Friday!!! Bless her, for her concern for the people!!:(

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Everything you say is correct except the final sentance. I suspect higher than normal rainfall, flash flooding of rivers, land slides and a population unskilled in disaster situations is more correct. Good analysis otherwise.

Seems to me somebody took the time to look up the actual number

Actually, I meant my original comment to be only nit nooy sarcastic.

I think it may be better than the way we'd do it in the US. There, we'd say up to five million people affected, send in the NAtional Guard and FEMA and, set up camps in the local high school gyms. The second week we'd award federal contracts for half a billion dollars broadcast video of a dog starnded in the middle of a river and announce it wasn't quite as bad we thought and probably only three million people are affected.. Third week Obama would do a fly over the disaster area, suggest we might have to raise taxes to pay for the devastation but, fortunately, it seems only about a million people have had their lives disrupted. By the end of the month, all the TV news networks will have interviewed over and over all ten people who lost their homes and will have invaded the hospital to film the one guy who sprained his ankle when he slipped in the mud.

By the beginning of the fifth week, ask someone about the disaster and they'll reply: "What disaster?"

it amazes me that no one blamed this on the swiss,german,english,canadian,saudies BIB, Thaksin, thaksins sister , and everyone else that TV regulars complain about .I find that I have to sift to alot of bs, to get a maybe answer to someones question.

You were saying....................... :whistling:

Canada A...You forgot the USAA+ What was the question?

I think it is sad that nature has inflicted death and hardship on so many Thais and with the exception of a couple of posts, TV posters use this topic to air political views/criticism of government and lame attempts at jokes. Shame on you for not showing some compassion for the residents of the country many of you now call home. No wonder so many Thais want the sex-patriates (old men married to much younger Thai women included) and other foreigners out of Thailand.

If I were a Thai who had lost family or whose family was suffering as a result of this storm, I would be highly PO'd at the posts on this topic. As it is, I am only saddened at the lack of compassion.

RickThai

Edited by RickThai

"As of Wednesday, flood waters were still affecting 411,585 people"

This figure is clearly wrong. My mother-in-law was taking a dump when they came round and did the count - it should be 411,586 people.

Im sorry to inform you that if your Mother in law was taking a dump then clearly she was infact not affected by the storm and the number quoted remains correct.

If she could not have taken a dump due to flood etc then she would have been affected and of course then included.

Unless she was taking a dump because off the storm. Therefore she would have been affected and not included.

TV posters use this topic to air political views/criticism of government and lame attempts at jokes. Shame on you for not showing some compassion

A gentle Up Yours. I've spent my career taking care of people after disasters and during wars. I've given up three wives, two homes and lots of money to do this. I'll make a joke if I darned well please.

I blame the Swiss!

TV posters use this topic to air political views/criticism of government and lame attempts at jokes. Shame on you for not showing some compassion

A gentle Up Yours. I've spent my career taking care of people after disasters and during wars. I've given up three wives, two homes and lots of money to do this. I'll make a joke if I darned well please.

I suspect you exagerate somewhat about all that you have "given up". Life unravels as it does, with some (myself included) thinking Karma has much to do with one's fortunes and misfortunes, "giving up" and losing are two very different sides of the same coin.

Could lack of compassion (or at least showing respect for others misfortune) have something to do with your losses.

Only you really know.

RickThai