Got Phone Don'T Know What Plan To Get!

Anyse

I have a Sony Ericsson Experia x10 mini with GPS, GSM (or is it GMS?), quad-band, wifi, blu-tooth, and all that. Now, I want to have an unlimited call/data plan for this phone. Where can I get it and what will it cost? I have seen estimates up to about 1000BHT/mo. I just am not sure . . . HELP!

Thank you,

Karen

Can you share any details re: your requirements/budget?

Do you call internationally?

How many minutes/SMS/MMS per month?

Pre-paid or post-paid?

Mobile data requirements?

If 3G is important , where do you spend most of your time in Thailand?

http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/promotion/promotion.asp

Stand-alone/layered data-only plans run 790 - 999 for unlimited plans.

Your phone appears to support 900/1900/2100 so if you require 3G you'd have to go with AIS/One-2-Call. It would also work with TOT/MVNOs, but those come with many, many issues and limitations.

Edited by lomatopo

Thank you for your kind as well as quick and thoughtful response. I am seeking ultimate simplicity. I don't want to have to even think about using my cell phone during the month and whether or not these many hours or minutes have been exceeded. I don't know how much I will even use this phone. However, as I settle in more and more and am teaching, I am sure that this will rise accordingly. Therefore, the easier to use, the better!

Can you share any details re: your requirements/budget? - I am wanting to get the best for as little as possible. Even 1500BHT/mo is not overwhelming to me.

Do you call internationally? No, I have no plans to do so at all.

How many minutes/SMS/MMS per month? I have friends in the US who like to use this more than I do. I want unlimited, just in case.

Pre-paid or post-paid? I would pay monthly, via bank withdrawal to phone company . . .

Mobile data requirements? Unlimited!

If 3G is important , where do you spend most of your time in Thailand? Can I really get 3G with a GMS (or is it GSM) phone. Mine does not support 2100 but all others below that.

http://www.thaimobil...otion/index.asp

Stand-alone/layered data-only plans run 790 - 999 for unlimited plans. : I really do not even understand what this means! I am a total novice.

Your phone appears to support 900/1900/2100 so if you require 3G you'd have to go with AIS/One-2-Call. It would also work with TOT/MVNOs, but those come with many, many issues and limitations.

Can you expand you on your mobile data requirements? You say "unlimited". Why? Are you using mobile data now?

You may be confusing GSM: for voice and low-speed data and 3G: for high-speed data.

~ 96% of the market here is pre-paid. There are hundreds of both pre-paid and post-paid options. Not sure there are any truly unlimited calling packages.

It sounds like you are new to Thailand, and just establishing your calling patterns? Maybe best to go with an AIS/One-2-Call pre-paid plan for a few months. Then once you have a feel for your requirements you can settle on a specific plan, transitioning to post-paid. I am suggesting AIS/One-2-Call because of their 3G capabilities which you may wish to use in the future.

Most calling promotions allow for per minute rates of 50 satang (one half of one baht) to 1 baht.

You can add money to your SIM (top-up) quite easily here.

http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion.html

Pro "Ngai Sood"(Press 4)Calls All Network 24 hrs 0.97 baht/minute

Thank you very much. I will go to that site. One of my problems is how to get it! Do I go to a store and buy the sim and top-off card/data/voice plan and that is it? Where or which one as I am in Patong for the next 5 weeks . . . I am tired and have much to do before starting to work next week. I am trying to just get "settled" as quicly as possible. So, I will go there now, where you suggested and, if I have any questions that they can not answer, I will come back and punish you a bit more! LOL! Thank you so much for your help.

Karen

Congrats.

Which SIM did you choose?

Make sure you turn off any data access on your phone. Only turn it on when you choose to. On some SIMs you can burn through 200 baht in well, 200 minutes.

Are you staying in the Phuket area longer term? I only ask as AIS/One-2-Call did just launch 3G, with coverage in Phuket, so this might be an option for high speed data, if required.