More Thais Getting Overweight

Lite Beer

Well at least the department of health has some idea about diplomacy....."expressed its concerns that multi-national food producers had been publicizing unhealthy food to Thais".....They never came right out and said it was the farangs fault.....:rolleyes:

Well they can't blame "Farangs" that is generalising. Pizza Hut, KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Krispy Creme, Coca Cola, Sizzler and Mister Donut just to name a few are "AMERICAN" Thais are consuming to much American food. Our son is forbiden from consuming American food as it is well known world wide that it is extreemly fattening and totaly unhealthy.

There is a man and his daughter that set up a Thai dessert table every night with a choice of 30 different Thai desserts. I love the egg custards and the coconut custards. They resemble a crème brulee for 7 baht each wrapped in banana leaves. Everything on the guys table is made fresh, looks great and is fattening. How can you walk by and not get at least one, gosh it is only 7 baht. Rice and sugar and oil, hardly American although America does have a lot of salad bars hardly fattening.

Hope you tell the kid that you are just anti American and there is a lot of healthy American food available.

Not anti American at all in fact the opposite. Australia was attacked in the WWII and if the yanks had not have assisted us who knows what may have happened. Just do not like the American food they are promoting around the world ie, Macca's KFC etc as I stated. 99% of the multi national fast food companies they refer to would have to American. I can't think of a chain like McDonalds and the like operating in Thailand from another country. Thailand has a couple of chicken franchises modeled on American but again that is the American influence on foods.

P.S he is not "The Kid" (baby goat) he is the son or child.

Actually, as language is always evolving, "kid" is a perfectly acceptable way of describing human offspring.

However, if you want to start a movement to limit language to what it's original meaning was, please start with "gay", which never used to apply to those that are not heterosexual ( though I'm sure there were those of the homosexual, lesbian, and bisexual orientation that were "gay" in its proper meaning ).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't need international chains to make people fat. In the village I live in, which is as far away from the city as one could probably get, not an international in sight, yet quite a few fatties. Shops full of junk food and sugar snacks/ drinks.

More worrying is that the locals feed their children a lot of junk food. Always see them with potato crisp type snacks.

And how these potato crisp type snacks are called in Thai language? ...

See, circle is closed.

q.e.d. :)

Edited by samurai

Well they can't blame "Farangs" that is generalising. Pizza Hut, KFC, McDonalds, Burger King, Krispy Creme, Coca Cola, Sizzler and Mister Donut just to name a few are "AMERICAN" Thais are consuming to much American food. Our son is forbiden from consuming American food as it is well known world wide that it is extreemly fattening and totaly unhealthy.

There is a man and his daughter that set up a Thai dessert table every night with a choice of 30 different Thai desserts. I love the egg custards and the coconut custards. They resemble a crème brulee for 7 baht each wrapped in banana leaves. Everything on the guys table is made fresh, looks great and is fattening. How can you walk by and not get at least one, gosh it is only 7 baht. Rice and sugar and oil, hardly American although America does have a lot of salad bars hardly fattening.

Hope you tell the kid that you are just anti American and there is a lot of healthy American food available.

Not anti American at all in fact the opposite. Australia was attacked in the WWII and if the yanks had not have assisted us who knows what may have happened. Just do not like the American food they are promoting around the world ie, Macca's KFC etc as I stated. 99% of the multi national fast food companies they refer to would have to American. I can't think of a chain like McDonalds and the like operating in Thailand from another country. Thailand has a couple of chicken franchises modeled on American but again that is the American influence on foods.

For really fat food you might want to check out YAMAZAKI BAKING Co., Ltd and the other successful fast food chains run in Thailand by the Japanese and add Japanese fast food chains to the list of foods your children are forbidden. I can think of 5 fat food Japanese fast food chains. Even worse they promote gluttony by being all you can eat.

I hope you don't be just just anti Japanese,...

In case you don't know there is a lot of healthy Japanese food available. Japan does have a lot of salad bars hardly fattening.

I wouldn't go so far to forbid my children to eat any of this "American" food. Whats wrong with a sweet donut from time to time or even a burger with freeeench fries? Just make sure it isn't every day or the only kind of food.

Actually, as language is always evolving, "kid" is a perfectly acceptable way of describing human offspring.

However, if you want to start a movement to limit language to what it's original meaning was, please start with "gay", which never used to apply to those that are not heterosexual ( though I'm sure there were those of the homosexual, lesbian, and bisexual orientation that were "gay" in its proper meaning ).

I went out with a bunch of gay kids last night and had fried potato salad at Fuji, It wasn't cheap either 80 baht a portion if my memory is correct. I don't go to Fuji much though because Japanese people killed a lot of my families friends and relatives. But I am trying to work my way through it.

not limited to Thailand, a long way to ctach the more 'developed' nations . . .

Worldwide obesity set to worsen

27/08/2011

5516190.jpg

FATTENING UP: About half of both men and women in the United States will be obese by 2030, health experts warn.

Obesity is most widespread in Britain and the United States among the world's leading economies and if present trends continue, about half of both men and women in the United States will be obese by 2030, health experts warn.

Obesity is fast replacing tobacco as the single most important preventable cause of chronic non-communicable diseases, and will add an extra 7.8 million cases of diabetes, 6.8 million cases of heart disease and stroke, and 539,000 cases of cancer in the United States by 2030.

Some 32 percent of men and 35 percent of women are now obese in the United States, according to a research team led by Claire Wang at the Mailman School of Public Health in Columbia University in New York. They published their findings in a special series of four papers on obesity in The Lancet.

In Britain, obesity rates will balloon to between 41-48 percent for men and 35-43 percent for women by 2030 from what is now 26 percent for both sexes, they warned.

"An extra 668,000 cases of diabetes, 461,000 of heart disease and 130,000 cancer cases would result," they wrote.

In Japan and China, 1 in 20 women is obese, compared with 1 in 10 in the Netherlands, 1 in 4 in Australia and 7 in 10 in Tonga, according to another paper led by Boyd Swinburn and Gary Sacks of the WHO Collaborating Center for Obesity Prevention at Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia.

read more

Edited by Atmos

not limited to Thailand, a long way to ctach the more 'developed' nations . . .

Worldwide obesity set to worsen

27/08/2011

5516190.jpg

FATTENING UP: About half of both men and women in the United States will be obese by 2030, health experts warn.

Obesity is most widespread in Britain and the United States among the world's leading economies and if present trends continue, about half of both men and women in the United States will be obese by 2030, health experts warn.

Obesity is fast replacing tobacco as the single most important preventable cause of chronic non-communicable diseases, and will add an extra 7.8 million cases of diabetes, 6.8 million cases of heart disease and stroke, and 539,000 cases of cancer in the United States by 2030.

Some 32 percent of men and 35 percent of women are now obese in the United States, according to a research team led by Claire Wang at the Mailman School of Public Health in Columbia University in New York. They published their findings in a special series of four papers on obesity in The Lancet.

In Britain, obesity rates will balloon to between 41-48 percent for men and 35-43 percent for women by 2030 from what is now 26 percent for both sexes, they warned.

"An extra 668,000 cases of diabetes, 461,000 of heart disease and 130,000 cancer cases would result," they wrote.

In Japan and China, 1 in 20 women is obese, compared with 1 in 10 in the Netherlands, 1 in 4 in Australia and 7 in 10 in Tonga, according to another paper led by Boyd Swinburn and Gary Sacks of the WHO Collaborating Center for Obesity Prevention at Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia.

read more

Good grief, you'd have to WANT to be fat to be like that person in the photo, and how can they afford it? Food must be dirt cheap there.

I dread getting on a plane now that I might get some huge fatty next to me. I always book an aisle seat, so at least I'll be able to get to the loo.

Having lived in London for 10 years, I have to disagree about only 26 % of women being obese now. Seems more like 40 to 50 %, but maybe that's only London. For some reason, most men there aren't so fat, though they must eat the same diet.