Pizza Stone

WinnieTheKhwai

It seems I need to purchase a pizza stone. It doesn't have to be purpose-marketed as one, costing several thousand baht and sold at Robinson or Central, in fact it's better if it's not that.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be a good material to use that can be easily sourced around Chiang Mai? I'm thinking that any dense stone or clay tile that retains heat will probably work just fine. perhaps rough unpolished granite would work?

I made a lot of pizza over the weekend, with mixed results. (Sauce and toppings were magnificent yet very inexpensive; the mixed result applies to the crust. ;) ) The first attempt looked great, but I wasn't very happy with the taste or consistency. Second attempt (a no-knead dough) looked absolutely terrible, think 'amoeba from hell', but was absolutely delicious, for a thick-crust pizza. I need to get to thin-crust though of course, real pizza needs a thin crust.

Like this:

( Pretty girl too, for a Farang chick. )

Just look for granite that fit the size of your oven from many stone shops in CM. I got mind from one on the way to Rimping Nimcity for a few hundred bath. It stay permanently in my oven. Never use glazed tiles. Ceramic will be hard to find that fit oven.

we had problems too, then we bought about 1/4 inch unglazed tiles, easy to cut and put them into the bottom and sides of our oven... evened the heat out and produces very fine pizza. the tiles are that earth red/brown color and we got them at a shop on the street going towards Hang Dong, before Big C, on the right. I would bet they are not to hard to find around town.

we had problems too, then we bought about 1/4 inch unglazed tiles, easy to cut and put them into the bottom and sides of our oven... evened the heat out and produces very fine pizza. the tiles are that earth red/brown color and we got them at a shop on the street going towards Hang Dong, before Big C, on the right. I would bet they are not to hard to find around town.

I wish I have an unglazed tile too I hear they suck out moister from the dough produce good crust at the bottom, thanks.

I have a purpose built ceramic oven pizza plate, but no oven.

It's yours if you want it.

Thanks!! Though my oven is fairly small, it's not a proper adult Western oven. Chances are it won't fit but I still appreciate the offer!

You know where to find me as well. Btw party in da bar tomorrow, check out Facebook.

Yes the gang told me yesterday; you should tell them to plan these things on Fridays. ;)