Biggest Waste Of Money In Phuket

snamos

Just curious what all members think here....what is the biggest waste of money in Phuket, this could include private and public money. Im not sure yet but i think the one way system reversal project is up there with the best, along with the waterpark of no customers near the airport

No such thing as "money wasters" here on Phuket - only "money makers" for certain companies, owned by certain families/individuals who are in business, or friends and family, with the authorites that issue the contracts for the "waste of money" as you mention. Once again, it's the corruption that allows it to happen.

not necessarily a waste of money but..

.. have you seen that "structure" in the middle of the new bridge section?...maybe it is the control tower and mechanics for the supposed swing bridge?...I looked and cannot see any evidence of what I would expect to be oblique "seams" that indicate it actually "swings"? maybe I am a bit blind though...lol

...gotta love all those cops and infrastructure at the "border" crossing...

@David006 - there is no swing section on the new bridge, (it doesn't need one - it is high enough).

Do you maybe mean the center section of the oldest bridge, which has been raised in height to allow passage of boats beneath, and which has a feature building?

Biggest waste of money? I go with KarenBravo on this. The Welcome Gate, (which has been deserted since it was built) and the Patong sign. Just think how many school books, community health center supplies etc etc etc could have been bought with this money.

So who was it who dreamed up these 2 white elephants?

Simon

Weed Whackers!

I lived for years watching (and of course hearing) 2 guys work practically non stop to cut the grass on a 7 rai plot of land.

Now, where I live, they sometime do it with a backhoe, <deleted>!

Will someone please turn these people on to a lawn mower?

where is the welcome gate?

It's on the right side just after you drive onto the island. Easy to miss the off ramp to the car park. Cark park always empty, we had a look out of interest. Lovely toilets, hopeless snack bar. Not much to see. Staff always helpful and happy to see anyone come in.

phuket-gateway-1.jpg

This is Phuket Gateway. We have stopped there a couple of times, and the kids have had school outings which have visited there - I've driven past countless times and never seen more than 1 car in the car park!

However, I think the Patong sign is a bigger waste of money. I think the original idea was that it would also be a viewpoint, but of course its impossible to stop there!

Maybe not as big a wate of money as the Patong sign and the Phuket Gateway, but the road repairs using inferior materials that take place all the time (particularly on the hills between Karon and Patong but plenty of other places as well) which last a couple of months before the roads crack up again.

For the public, the waterpark that I have never been to because of the price and Phuket Zoo if you have to pay the tourist price.

Oops, nearly forgot the Chalong Circle traffic lights!

Splash Jungle probably is a waste of money for the investors, but at least it's not public money. We have been once, with a special price deal, kids loved it and we'll go again sometime if they are very good and earn a reward! If you have your own transport and don't eat there, Splash Jungle is just about worth the money for us. We're not rich at all, but if my kids love it, then a little extravagance is worthwhile now and then to make them happy.

Splash Jungle probably is a waste of money for the investors, but at least it's not public money. We have been once, with a special price deal, kids loved it and we'll go again sometime if they are very good and earn a reward! If you have your own transport and don't eat there, Splash Jungle is just about worth the money for us. We're not rich at all, but if my kids love it, then a little extravagance is worthwhile now and then to make them happy.

Dont worry about the investors the ex CEO of TESCO[your grocery purchases paid for it],now the water park and WESTSANDS. the group has been taken over and is being run by the biggest hotel group in Thailand...the CENTARA GROUP,we will wait and see what happens..,

How about the Non Thai idiots that sold up or moved to live there ,as Ex-Pats... actually believing they belong in Thailand....and can own FREEHOLD land/property there...paying the extortionate prices charged.

That must be in the top five.

LiveSteam

How about the Non Thai idiots that sold up or moved to live there ,as Ex-Pats... actually believing they belong in Thailand....and can own FREEHOLD land/property there...paying the extortionate prices charged.

Really?

I'm a non-Thai Expat who has been on the property ladder for years in Phuket and have only made money.

Funny how every time I have purchased a property I've been told that I've paid far too much, yet, when I sell it for a nice, fat profit, I'm told by the same people that I was lucky to get in when I did.

Make no mistake. Many, many non-Thais have made very good money in the Phuket property market.

There are quite a few people i know who have not sold up but do have property in Thailand

The also have property and assets in there home country

Why not have your own home here if you can afford it, much better than renting if you are staying here long term