Indian Tailors..

Pedzie

Hi I'm a newbie, I have been reading the forum for a few months now and I have learned a lot from the topics etc, Thanks in advance :-)

1 Question tho, Do all the Indian tailors i have come across on my travels in Bangkok-Pattaya-Samui have a work permit or a residence permit ? I'm just curious as i have read on here and other places that obtaining a work permit is difficult for many people, even farang beer bar owners aren't allowed a work permit if they own a bar.

So how come so many Indians have these tailor shops and they work in them themselves and employ no Thai nationals ??

The few i have spoken to are from India, a few being 3-4.

But thanks guys, I just never thought that Indians or Bangladeshi's would have been in Thailand for generations.

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks again

The obvious question is, if these people have been here for generations, are they actually Thai citizens?

If someone is born in Thailand to foreign parents, do they automatically gain Thai citizenship?

Not such great questions as so many Indians have been THAI NATIONALITY for so long. Who knows what the immigration laws were like so long ago when their ancestors came here but they became Thai, just as so many CHINESE immigrants did as well.

Anyway, question 1, yes for the ones who are Thai, question 2, no.

Edited by Jingthing

The obvious question is, if these people have been here for generations, are they actually Thai citizens?

If someone is born in Thailand to foreign parents, do they automatically gain Thai citizenship?

Re: Thai Indians-Of course they are.

Pre 1971 anyone born on Thai soil was automatically a Thai citizen, regardless of their parents immigration status.

From 1971 onwards, one parent needed to be a Thai citizen for Thai citizenship to be transmitted, or both parents needed to have PR in the case of being born to foreigners in Thailand for the child to be a Thai citizen.

Those born between 1971 and 1992 on Thai soil to foreign parents, and who have maintained an ongoing an verifiable link to Thailand are now also able to register at their local ampur for Thai citizenship. This last one came into affect with the passing of the 2008 version of the Thai nationality act.

Not such great questions as so many Indians have been THAI NATIONALITY for so long. Who knows what the immigration laws were like so long ago when their ancestors came here but they became Thai, just as so many CHINESE immigrants did as well.

Funny you mention the Chinese immigrants, I watched a docu about the plight of the sea gypsie's in Phuket last week, they are being forced to relocate due to the expansion of hotels etc on the Island, such a shame really.

Edited by Pedzie

A long time ago I once knew an American guy in his late 70s who came to Thailand in 1946 after serving his military service in Burma during WW2.

Within a week he obtained a Thai wife and soon after managed to buy herself Thai citizenship for 10000 baht, which was a small fortune in those days.

At that time the local Thais placed little value on land and he was able to somehow purchase a huge plot right inside the town of Chiang Mai for a pittance and had a huge house built on the land costing hundreds of bahts rather than thousands.

He had several Thai mistresses on the go, having children with most of them, that was not thought of as improper in those days, especially if you were considered a rich farang, treated almost like a King.

How times have changed.

If they are not Thai citizens they also need 4 Thai employees. Some of them use the names of the massage girls around the corner in their business papers. The girls get 500 Bt./month to "borrow" their names. If there is a immigration check (and they really check the indian tailors too) the tailor will tell the girls are out to eat. He will make some calls and 15 minutes later the staff will be there.

I heard this from ONE indian tailor... dont know about the other 218982.

If they are not Thai citizens they also need 4 Thai employees. Some of them use the names of the massage girls around the corner in their business papers. The girls get 500 Bt./month to "borrow" their names. If there is a immigration check (and they really check the indian tailors too) the tailor will tell the girls are out to eat. He will make some calls and 15 minutes later the staff will be there.

I heard this from ONE indian tailor... dont know about the other 218982.

Clever!

That is really Indian - have a solution for every problem. :)

Funny you mention the Chinese immigrants, I watched a docu about the plight of the sea gypsie's in Phuket last week, they are being forced to relocate due to the expansion of hotels etc on the Island, such a shame really.

As you refer to the variety of Chinese that sought life in Siam by the 1850s through the 1890s, it's still rather vague as to the "legal" status that the Mongkut and Chulalongkorn eras place upon these newcoming populations.

Needless to say, they had immediate social, political and economic impact and influence - as they do today.

I've known more than a few Chinese/part-Chinese contemporaries that have suggested that their ancestors just came......set up camp, became networked, sometimes marrying a local [Thai] - without official cause nor concern.

Edited by zzaa09

Some if not most have been in Thailand for generations and are fluent in Thai.

And cockney :rolleyes:

And Aussie, I don't know how many times I hear from them: "G'day mate," and even things like, "How's it Hanging!" ROFL

Back on the original question: I've often wondered about this, and the Nepalese too. Are they as integrated as well? You do hear of the occasional one being arrested, but they're back a few hours later, or at worst, the next day.

Edited by Madivad

As you refer to the variety of Chinese that sought life in Siam by the 1850s through the 1890s, it's still rather vague as to the "legal" status that the Mongkut and Chulalongkorn eras place upon these newcoming populations.

Needless to say, they had immediate social, political and economic impact and influence - as they do today.

I've known more than a few Chinese/part-Chinese contemporaries that have suggested that their ancestors just came......set up camp, became networked, sometimes marrying a local [Thai] - without official cause nor concern.

I noticed on Koh Pha ngan there was a lot of ethnic Chinese people, i wasn't aware of this until i stayed on the island for a few weeks, i never expected this at all, i thought Thailand was just Thai's, it's such an interesting country, much more still to learn :-)