Your Recent Experiences While In The U.S

Its been almost 4 years since I've been in the US. I am going to the US next month to visit family and friends, I'm curious to know the mood or atmosphere you experienced while there. I am aware of the ongoing recession that technically hasn't stop and the affect it has had there especially on the people. I also am aware of the high prices that I"ll be paying etc sticker shock and I am aware already that I'm probably not going to be able to relate to lots of people. I don't except to much culture shock. I am though looking forward to seeing some of my old friends and family while being able to enjoy certain foods, buying clothes that fit and electronics on sale.

Note I"m already well aware of the friendly service I'll get from immigration and customs and know already about the lovely TSA groping security procedures.

Look forward to all your comments and experiences on this matter

Enjoy your trip!

Your expectations have probably changed a lot more than the USA has. I've been back home over 50 times in the past 11 years on business and never really noticed a change in mood, atmosphere or restaurant crowds.

Airport security horror stories are mostly hype in my experience, and even the times I was "randomly" chosen for additional screening was a very minor inconvenience. I travel back and forth so much I stopped carrying luggage except a carry-on- but now I check at least one bag whether I need to or not.

Even at 10% unemployment, that's just a few percent more than normal and the majority of folks are throwing down the plastic like there's no tomorrow.

Frankly, the biggest change I've noticed is that I'm less likely to burn through a tank of $4 gas than I would when it was $2. And I find myself appalled by the waste and conspicuous consumption I see.

Nope. 10 percent is what's on the books. It's more like 25 percent unemployment when you include the many millions who have exhausted their UI benefits and rationally stopped looking, plus the huge percentage of part time/underemployed people. The mood for the masses now is permanent recession. As in nobody expects major improvement for at least a decade. Yes, some price increases will shock you, especially restaurant food. That said, there are pockets where the hit isn't as bad such as Washington D.C. with it's recession/depression proof employment base.

Edited by Jingthing

Nope. 10 percent is what's on the books. It's more like 25 percent unemployment when you include the many millions who have exhausted their UI benefits and rationally stopped looking, plus the huge percentage of part time/underemployed people. The mood for the masses now is permanent recession. As in nobody expects major improvement for at least a decade. Yes, some price increases will shock you, especially restaurant food. That said, there are pockets where the hit isn't as bad such as Washington D.C. with it's recession/depression proof employment base.

And why is that...oh yeah, my high taxes paid to the government of a country I have barely stepped into in over a decade keep all these over-paid and over-pensioned pencil-pushing buerocrats [sP] fully employed and the D.C. area economy humming!

I would just keep telling everyone I meet that unemployment rate in Thailand is at less than 3%, that exports set records month over month, and the government is basically in surplus and then watch them turn green with envy!

In a word: depressing. I do agree with you about the electronics though, the US is great place to buy them.

Agree with the above post, if you believe the unemployment rate is really 10%, I've got a glacier in Korat to sell you...

The rate of unemployment is highly dependent on education and job type.

Unemployment for people who were unfortunate to slip out of high school and unskilled are around 25% unemployed.

Those with high school but no college and unskilled is around 15-18%.

If your construction or home building or finance related, it's very bad, probably around 20%.

If you're a college grad with a good skill (except financials), unemployment is very low.

Depending on where you're headed, gas is around $3.25-$4.00, varies with region, price of oil and time of year.

Food prices are inflating.

Mostly, people are scared and not spending as much, hunkering down for the 2012 election.

Edited by rakman

Tough question as I think a lot of the mood etc depends on where specifically you are going and what you plan to do while there?

I go back every year to USA for 3 to 6 months. In spite of a lot of high prices I also typically find that there are also a ton of really good bargains in the USA now, depending on what items you normally buy. As we all know most of the imported stuff in Thailand has some very big price tags. So when i am in usa i am very happy to be able to buy nice cheese, wines, peanut butter and dozens of other products at what would be giveaway prices in Thailand. In fact I normally fill my suitcases up with a variety of usa products that would cost a fortune in Thailand and haul them back to Thailand every year.

I also somewhat enjoy driving in the USA where things are typically pretty orderly compared to the usual dodge car/motorbike/pedestrians/dogs etc etc that normally comes with a Thai drive. Not to say that there are not a ton of idiot drivers in the USA who love to tailgate at 70 MPH and change lanes, run red lights, and just drive like complete morons full of road rage....and bit scarey as most any moron in the usa can have a gun or an AK 47 in his car/truck and be prepared to shoot someone over changing lanes.

And of course it is very easy in the USA where you can normally read all the signs and undertand every word that is said rather than wandering around in a "no understand" haze as many farangs do in Thailand.

I do not like the "american way" that seems everything always has to be "bigger better faster stronger"....seems to me that many americans just cannot be content with what they have, which is often a LOT, but they just have to go out and go head over heels in debt to keep up with or impress the neighbors etc. I also find that Americans seem to whine more and blame everybody and their brother for whatever problems they have...many of which are their own dam_n fault. i for sure don't ever recall hearing my grandparents sit around pissing and whining about the hand they were dealt. They just figured it out and played the hand they had. Not so much anymore in USA (and maybe anywhere else).

To me about the worst change in USA over the years is the yelling heads on TV cable channels. Seems like everybody is angry over everything and can not agree on anything. If Jesus/Buddha/Gandi all rolled into one was the president of the usa i suspect that half the people would hate everythig they said or tried to do. I don't remember it being nearly so vile when i was growing up though maybe i just read/hear/see it more now. There are some incredibly stupid people who have somehow managed to become TV news "stars" who interview each other and spew vile hate 24/7. That I can do without.

Overall America is typically a beautiful place and there are tons of activities available for little or no money. I find that i enjoy the national parks and hiking and camping and just typically trying to spend more time in nature now. If you do that I think you will have a very pleasant time in the USA without breaking the bank or getting irritated too much.

I was in the USA on biz. last month. Went to Chicago and Pittsburgh before visiting rellies in Toronto (I'm Canadian). The media in the USA churned out alot of depressing economic statistics during my stay, I have no idea if there's a political bias or not except for Fox News which I'm told is very conservative. The media seems to have put the general public in a glum mood. Read U.S. media sites on the net to get a feel for the current mindset.

Otherwise I found most people to be fine, just trying to get through life like anywhere else in the world. Watch your belongings and stay away from the mean streets, just like anywhere else in the world, and you'll have a good time.

Hope this helps. jap.gif

Americans don't seem to mind blaring the talking head news on their televisions and discussing the 'issues' 24/7, even while serving dinner, and the issues quite often strike lower in denominator than what you'd expect from Geraldo Rivera. Statements read by newswomen off their teleprompters often reflect shocking lack of intelligencee - civic, economic, ... .

A little humor from a friend's blog ...

“As Hurricane Irene batters the East Coast, officials have warned that internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years.

Brace for the horror of awkward silences, unwanted eye contact. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance- sports, weather. Conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together.”

- Gale Storm

Edited by Ponbkk