Passport - Do you have to carry it always?

ironwolf

Do you have to carry your passport with you at all times or can I carry my Drivers Lis.?

I think technically as a foreigner you need to carry your passport at all times when you're out and about, although some people (including me) carry a photocopy to avoid losing the original. There's another reason as well. Your passport contains your visa stamp.

Edited by AmeriThai

This one has been done to death many times, the law is that you must carry your PP at all times.

That said, a THAI drivers licence usually works, otherwise a good photocopy of your passport including your latest entry stamp.

A lot seems to depend where and when you are asked for ID.

Personally I only carry my Thai DL, never a problem.

BUT YMMV!!!

Lopburi3's comment set the wheels a churning!

OK

The UK travel site here http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagena...d=1013618386505 says that "By law, tourists are expected to carry their original passports at all times in Thailand."

Seems pretty clear BUT, a search on this and other forums (fora?) seems to suggest that you only have to prove your legal status (for tourists this means carrying your passport), for the rest of us Thai driving licence, work permit, PR book should be fine.

Bobcat seems to be the authority on it NOT being necessary to carry the PP.

Add to that the variable of which particular interpretation our local copper is using, then, who actually knows.

My original advice stands though, good copy of the photo page and your latest entry stamp should usually suffice.

"By law, tourists are expected to carry their original passports at all times in Thailand."

That is about as clear as mud. If it is law than it is required; not "expected". Right?

Or is the King's English out of my grasp? Admit that could be; as "hotting up" is not in my vocabulary either. :o

"By law, tourists are expected to carry their original passports at all times in Thailand."

That is about as clear as mud. If it is law than it is required; not "expected". Right?

Or is the King's English out of my grasp? Admit that could be; as "hotting up" is not in my vocabulary either. :D

Hey Lop, when were you last in the UK, we have a Queen now :o

Agreed, more than slightly muddy, best I've found as yet.

Do you have to carry your passport with you at all times or can I carry my Drivers Lis.?

Now see what you've done Ironwolf.... and you thought it was a simple question with a simple answer :D

Welcome to Thailand, where there is no such thing as a simple answer, TiT :o

BTW, welcome to Thaivisa.

Edited by Crossy

Or is the King's English out of my grasp? Admit that could be; as "hotting up" is not in my vocabulary either. :D

Hey Lop, when were you last in the UK, we have a Queen now :o

Agreed, more than slightly muddy, best I've found as yet.

I wondered about that - but during my schooling teachers always referred to it as King's. Guess they were still upset with that tea tax.

I really do remember the coronation as a special TV event for us in the new world.

After checking find that "King's English" is a noun and used in US writing. See http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/k/k0069600.html

Edited by lopburi3

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if it is the law or not. It is what happens in reality that is important.

It is the law to wear a seatbelt - I've never been fined for not.

Having a passenger on my motorbike without a helmet - never been charged.

Where I live, I have never been hassled for not carrying my passport. I used to carry a miniture copy with the visa page, but more recently a drivers license.

The fact is - if the pigs want to fine you, they will regardless if you have your passport or not, driver's license etc. No point worrying about carrying your passport unless you are a terrorist or drug runner.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone being put in jail and deported for not carrying their passport. What's the worst that could happen? Deportation, I think not.

If you are overstayed, never carry your passport :o carry a few hundred baht - that's when you have to start worrying.

The Dude thinks that boasting about getting away with not wearing seatbelts and helmets is unwise. The Dude has seen countless persons get maimed, mangled and killed by crashing and burning all around the world. My advice is to wear seatbelts and helmets regardless of law. Don't let the letter of the law get in the way of common, sensible safety practices. This is your pal Smokey the Dude with his shovel digging all of you who play it safe. Oh and while you're at it, prevent forest fires and don't litter; we don't want to see a tear in the indian's eye. Dig on people

It should be noted that the law requires ALL persons, not just foreigners,

to carry ID.

The Thai should have his ID card (bat prachachon) but in most cases a driving licence is sufficient.

to carry ID.

The Thai should have his ID card (bat prachachon) but in most cases a driving licence is sufficient.

Agreed 100%.

BUT

The problem is defining what is SUFFICIENT identification for a non-Thai. Tourists have little option (their passport), but is a copy enough? In the UK it is (we are not required to carry ID), in Belgium it is not, but a European DL is (it has to be original ID).

Thinking back, I remember that every time this is mentioned in official communications the word 'tourist' is used. It would be useful for the authorities to actually DEFINE what is expected of us ex-pats, is a Thai DL really enough?

Who knows, until something concrete is defined, I'll continue carrying my Thai DL.

to carry ID.

Lopburi is still waiting for the name of that law, and I would be interested to know it, too.

--------------------

Maestro

“Information is everywhere, but where shall wisdom be found?” _ Harold Bloom

This one has been done to death many times, the law is that you must carry your PP at all times.

I would very much like to see that law

…or alternatively the law that says aliens are free to move about without carrying their passports.

Yesterday or today I read, I believe on this site, that Thai law works thus: unless something is specifically allowed by law, it is forbidden.

I thought I remembered something in an old post and after searching for it I finally found it here. The Tourisms Authority of Thailand (TAT) wrote to someone that “normorly you have to carry your passport with you all the time”.

Again, unfortunately no reference to the name of the applicable law.

--------------------

Maestro

…a search on this and other forums (fora?) seems to suggest that you only have to prove your legal status (for tourists this means carrying your passport), for the rest of us Thai driving licence, work permit, PR book should be fine.

I’m afraid it’s not quite as simple as “tourists and the rest of us”.

Thailand’s Immigration Act groups aliens in Thailand into two categories:

1. Aliens who entered the Kingdom for a temporary stay (Section 34)

That includes everybody who came without a visa (stamp on arrival), tourist visa, non-O, non-B, non-everything, diplomats, etc.

2. Aliens who entered to take residence in the Kingdom (Section 41)

That means those with a Residence Permit (RP), which I believe also means that the RP holder has an immigrant visa or non-quota immigrant visa, not a non-immigrant visa.

This said, it still does not resolve the question of what law requires everybody in the country to carry identification and specifies what type of identification.

--------------------

Maestro

From the Phuket Gazette: http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=775

What should a copy of my passport show?

I was interested and disturbed to read in the Issues & Answers section on the Phuket Gazette website [see ‘Passport worry’] about the need for all visitors to carry their passports, or a copy, with them at all times.

I must confess that I was totally ignorant of this requirement, though I have been travelling to Thailand annually for the last 15 years or so.

I should welcome clarification on the following point:

Is it necessary for the copy of the passport to be made once one is in Thailand, so as to show the immigration stamp and date of entry? Or is it sufficient for a copy to be made outside Thailand, which would of course provide all the other identification details, as well as the visa?

Friday, December 3, 2004: Mark H. Burrill, Honolulu.
You should get the photocopy of the passport made after you come into Thailand. That way we can  check everything – name, nationality, date of entry, expiration date of visa and passport, last destination and so on. If you make the copy before you come to Thailand, we cannot check all this information.

If you are worried about losing your passport, you can leave it in the hotel and have the front office manager or another person in authority sign the photocopy and write his name and position on it to verify it is an accurate copy."

Friday, December 3, 2004: Pol Lt Col Panudej Sookwong, Superintendent of the Phuket Tourist Police.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Gazette notes that the “photocopy rule” appears not to apply everywhere. Pol Maj Phanthana Nutchanart, of the Bangkok Investigation Tourist Police (Division 2) stresses:

Tourists must carry their passports with them at all times. This is an international rule. A passport is like an ID card; if you don’t have it with you, the police may arrest you.

It’s like showing a driving license to the police – if you show them a copy, there is no way for them to tell whether it is genuine or fake.

Similarly, it is impossible to present a copy of your passport when cashing travelers’ checks. You have to show the bank the real thing.

Friday, December 3, 2004 Phuket Gazette

See? Clear as mud. TIT.

Edited by RDN

And there's more... http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=747

Passport worry

It was reported in newspapers recently that on August 16 the police raided a nightclub popular with foreigners, testing more than 300 people there for drugs, and then fining many for not carrying their passports.

They prevented customers from leaving the venue and administered urine tests on 373 people. After failing to find anyone testing positive, the police rounded up 104 “criminals” and took them to the police station for not having their passports with them.

In most countries police advise tourists to keep their valuables and passports in the hotel safe and not to leave them on the beach while swimming. But not having your passport with you at all times is a criminal offence in Thailand, so what should I do when I go to the beach for a swim?

Do the Thai Tourist Police recommend that visitors to Thailand leave their passports on the beach while swimming? Or take the passport for a swim as well? Or perhaps not swim at all when in Thailand?

Wednesday, September 22, 2004  Thomas Jefferson

The law here is that all foreign tourist must have their passports to hand when the police ask for them. Tourists being in possession of their passports is similar to Thai people having identity cards – they must keep their ID cards with them for when police want to check their identify.

However, if you are worried about losing your passport you can make a photocopy and carry that instead. At present we have problems in this country with international criminals, so inspection of passports is essential for safety and security reasons.

When urine tests are conducted in Bangkok it is normal to check passports. I believe that many foreigners are happy to cooperate because they understand that we are serious about prevention of drug use.

When police check for passports and people don’t have them, they must pay a fine. ”

Wednesday, September 22, 2004  Pol Lt Col Panudej Sookwong, Superintendent of Phuket Tourist Police.

The law is the law.............but..........Thailand is Thailand. I have shown my Picture U.K drivers license twice to police and was sent on my way. I think it may be my manners.

It also works in Banks. If you politly point out that it has MORE info than a passport as it shows your U.K address ( I dont know about US, Oz etc) then people seem happy.

If nothing else it may just buy you enough time to go and get your passport.

Back a few years leading up to Bush's visit to BKK the law was the same, and they enforced it.

I was reading this very site and came across a post by someone, can't remember who, who had been arrested on Sukumvit for not having a pp. He told the police it was in his apartment nearby and he could get it for them, also showed them other ID (not sure what). They said no, we have to arrest you and did so. Luckily he had a mobile and freinds. He finally found a friend who could get his pp for him, and who also had his own too (otherwise he'd get knicked as soon as he turned up) and they finally let him go.

Luckily for me I'd read his post cause the very next day (honest) I made sure I had my pp with me. I was walking along soi Mahadthai, in Bangkapi, miles from any tourist spot and was surrounded by 5 immigration officers. They asked for my pp and where I was going. I mentioned my apartment, they never asked why I lived there or was dressed smartly with only a tourist visa but on seeing my pp let me go.

Many others were nicked and/or deported during that time in the panic to remove possible terrorist or just those they didn't want. (The customs officers asked me if there were any blacks in my apartment block).

That was obviously a very exceptional time and I mention it more for interest than anything, or though I guess the point is if the police want or need to use this law they can.

The law is the law

Aaaargh!

Before anyone says that again, let him/her please give the name of the law, preferably also a link to the full text of the law on the web.

I have no doubt that such law exists, and it makes sense that there should be such law, but what’s its name?

I have shown my Picture U.K drivers license twice to police and was sent on my way.  I think it may be my manners.

It also works in Banks.  If you politly point out that it has MORE info than a passport as it shows your U.K address ( I dont know about US, Oz etc) then people seem happy.

Does it also show that your presence in Thailand is legal, that your permitted period to stay in Thailand has not yet expired?

The thing is, I don't want to have my passport stolen (pickpocket or if I am with a bar girl) and have to go thought a lot of shit to get a new one. I have photo DL and a photo motocylce permit. I wouldn't mind losing my photo permit (its actually expired, but even a cop here in USA couldn't tell.)

The thing is, I don't want to have my passport stolen (pickpocket or if I am with a bar girl) and have to go thought a lot of shit to get a new one. I have photo DL and a photo motocylce permit. I wouldn't mind losing my photo permit (its actually expired, but even a cop here in USA couldn't tell.)

I'd worry more about paying for the services of a bar-girl - isn't this illegal?

Worry about picking up a copy DVD, this is illegal.

Alternatively, leave your worries at home, this is Thailand the land of no worries!

I'd worry more about paying for the services of a bar-girl - isn't this illegal?

Worry about picking up a copy DVD, this is illegal.

Alternatively, leave your worries at home, this is Thailand the land of no worries!

Driving without a helmet - illegal

Paying bribes to cops - illegal

Turning without indicating - illegal

Speeding - illegal

Working without a work permit - illegal

Living in Thailand on a tourist visa - illegal

Having sex with soi dogs - illegal :o

And the list goes on. I leave my passport at home and carry my driving lince as ID. Nothing anyone writes here would make me change my mind.

No Maestro, a driving license shows none of those things.

After the first time I showed it to the boys in brown I was later told they were looking for an American.

The second time they were looking for farangs buying dope. I had nothing on me so I wasn't what they wanted.

Both times I only had my DL in my wallet.

I have no doubt I was 'lucky' both times, but it always works in Banks.