Expats -- If You Had A Million Dollars, Would You Stay In Thailand?

Jingthing

Millon Dollars! Poll is for expats living in Thailand only, thanks  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This "gay theme" in this thread abundant with idiotic assumptions about gay people is very offensive. I was speaking about mainstream financial planners; absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation. Also I was speaking about the mainstream advice to not run out of money before death. That DOES NOT mean the goal is to die with no money at all. Obviously, people need to adjust their strategy based on their interest in helping heirs. It's so massively homophobic to suggest that this has anything to do with sexual orientation. In case you don't get that -- gay people have heirs too. I also am disgusted with the personal nature of the assumptions made about me, simply based on sexual orientation. Since you're so interested, yes I have a will and yes I have an heir. Now back to the topic and I ask nobody bring their twisted homophobia and retro notions of "normalcy" to a discussion about FINANCIAL PLANNING.

Back to the money aspect, yes the super conservative people say well you expect to be dead by 80 but you MAY live to 100. But the flip side of course is that you might be living on beans for many years at 50 expecting to live to 80 but be run over by a truck tomorrow. So you need to be rational and balance all that info out ... yourself.

In that case I apologize, Jingthing. I didn't mean to be offensive or in any way sexual. I was just assuming that being gay you would not have children, and most people think of children as their heirs.

And I'd like to join Ian in his comment.

This "gay theme" in this thread abundant with idiotic assumptions about gay people is very offensive. I was speaking about mainstream financial planners; absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation. Also I was speaking about the mainstream advice to not run out of money before death. That DOES NOT mean the goal is to die with no money at all. Obviously, people need to adjust their strategy based on their interest in helping heirs. It's so massively homophobic to suggest that this has anything to do with sexual orientation. In case you don't get that -- gay people have heirs too. I also am disgusted with the personal nature of the assumptions made about me, simply based on sexual orientation. Since you're so interested, yes I have a will and yes I have an heir. Now back to the topic and I ask nobody bring their twisted homophobia and retro notions of "normalcy" to a discussion about FINANCIAL PLANNING.

Back to the money aspect, yes the super conservative people say well you expect to be dead by 80 but you MAY live to 100. But the flip side of course is that you might be living on beans for many years at 50 expecting to live to 80 but be run over by a truck tomorrow. So you need to be rational and balance all that info out ... yourself.

In that case I apologize, Jingthing. I didn't mean to be offensive or in any way sexual. I was just assuming that being gay you would not have children, and most people think of children as their heirs.

And I'd like to join Ian in his comment.

Steady....

The visa situation in Thailand is not much different than any other country, so I am not sure why so many people whine about it. You want to stay, you either qualify for and adhere to the regulations or leave.

As someone who has researched lots of countries visa situations, I don't agree that Thailand's visa policies are typical. There are some very unique aspects to the system here: retirement extension option based on banked money only (rare), ED visas for most any age just for a ridiculously small number of class hours (rare), able to stay indefinitely just by flying in and out every 30 days, severely limited paths towards permanent residence for most long term foreign residents, and the weirdly paranoid 90 day address reports! No, certainly not typical. Unique more like it.

I get fed up having to produce notarised copies of certificates every year - though having said that, I have not tried the alternative.

I've got the same qualifications as I had last year, my children have the same parents and were born on the same day in the same place as last time we applied...

SC

To follow up what I had stated earlier - there are loads of better places - if you have the cash to blow. Tropical - South Seas, Malaysia for starts.

Personally, I am just sort of stuck here now if I wish to be with my girlfriend of 2+ years but Thailand is not a bad place in the grand scheme, especially for expatriates. My main issue is all the visa hassles = a make-work industry governed by indifference, laziness and lack of interest in employess on job. The need to deposit 800k in a bank earning essentially no interest and have that interest taxed 15%. Add to it no insurance on amounts >1m banked.

The manner in which to obtain an "extention based on retirement" I just find absurd and frankly cannot be bothered and will fight it as long as I can. The "extention based on marriage" hassles border on the insane in many cases.

Married, kids, house (in wifey's name of course), business (perhaps in wifey's name of course), charity benefactor - no matter. You will never, ever be a PR. In the US all it takes is a citizen to petition for you and a US10 dollar an hour job for a few years. That is a huge negative for me insofar as settling anywhere. I can get those terms in most any country.

The tropical climate may not be the best thing. Note the floods and all the rain that has come to many parts of the country in recent years. Thailand is getting warmer and we are losing the cool season rapidly. The hot season stretches on for half year.

If I had a million bucks to essentially blow on lifestyle, I would travel with the seasons and visit all the great places I have yet to see before they vanish or otherwise ruined. I am still young enough to do and enjoy that and that would please the gf to no end as well.

One thing sure, Thailand is moving more toward Philippines than Singapore/Malaysia in its governance and corruption.

Edited by bangkokburning

Most "people" buy an annuity huh? Somehow, I seriously doubt that. I think you might be referring to certain nationalities retirement schemes. A quick google told me under TEN PERCENT of Americans owned annuities.

nobody, possessing a certain minimum of financial knowledge, has bought any annuity during the last three years or will buy any annuity for years to come because of the extremely low interest rate environment (few exceptions e.g. AUD prove the rule).

if current interest rates are suitable, annuities are an excellent construct for planning ahead financially.

To follow up what I had stated earlier - there are loads of better places - if you have the cash to blow. Tropical - South Seas, Malaysia for starts.

Personally, I am just sort of stuck here now if I wish to be with my girlfriend of 2+ years but Thailand is not a bad place in the grand scheme, especially for expatriates. My main issue is all the visa hassles = a make-work industry governed by indifference, laziness and lack of interest in employess on job. The need to deposit 800k in a bank earning essentially no interest and have that interest taxed 15%. Add to it no insurance on amounts >1m banked.

The manner in which to obtain an "extention based on retirement" I just find absurd and frankly cannot be bothered and will fight it as long as I can. The "extention based on marriage" hassles border on the insane in many cases.

Married, kids, house (in wifey's name of course), business (perhaps in wifey's name of course), charity benefactor - no matter. You will never, ever be a PR. In the US all it takes is a citizen to petition for you and a US10 dollar an hour job for a few years. That is a huge negative for me insofar as settling anywhere. I can get those terms in most any country.

The tropical climate may not be the best thing. Note the floods and all the rain that has come to many parts of the country in recent years. Thailand is getting warmer and we are losing the cool season rapidly. The hot season stretches on for half year.

If I had a million bucks to essentially blow on lifestyle, I would travel with the seasons and visit all the great places I have yet to see before they vanish or otherwise ruined. I am still young enough to do and enjoy that and that would please the gf to no end as well.

One thing sure, Thailand is moving more toward Philippines than Singapore/Malaysia in its governance and corruption.

Most "people" buy an annuity huh? Somehow, I seriously doubt that. I think you might be referring to certain nationalities retirement schemes. A quick google told me under TEN PERCENT of Americans owned annuities.

nobody, possessing a certain minimum of financial knowledge, has bought any annuity during the last three years or will buy any annuity for years to come because of the extremely low interest rate environment (few exceptions e.g. AUD prove the rule).

if current interest rates are suitable, annuities are an excellent construct for planning ahead financially.

Unless they think interest rates are going to stay low for a long time; or if the insurance company thinks that they do not have long to go.

My current financial planning (perhaps that is too strong a word for it) comprises working myself to an early grave, hopefully around 70, and buying an annuity when I can no longer work, relying on my lifestyle to get a good deal from the insurance company...

SC

The visa situation in Thailand is not much different than any other country, so I am not sure why so many people whine about it. You want to stay, you either qualify for and adhere to the regulations or leave.

As someone who has researched lots of countries visa situations, I don't agree that Thailand's visa policies are typical. There are some very unique aspects to the system here: retirement extension option based on banked money only (rare), ED visas for most any age just for a ridiculously small number of class hours (rare), able to stay indefinitely just by flying in and out every 30 days, severely limited paths towards permanent residence for most long term foreign residents, and the weirdly paranoid 90 day address reports! No, certainly not typical. Unique more like it.

Listen up JT. KeyserSoze is spot on.

Any topic that starts with the subject of money has the potential for being closed.

Trust me.

KD

I never said that visa regs are identical from country to country, merely similar. Yes, Thailand has some interesting quirks, like 90 days reporting and the option of using cash-on-hand in lieu of regular pension / annuity payments to support the visa application / extension, although still not an outlandish requirements given the number of foreigners residing in Thailand.

It is important to note there is a difference between seeking a visa and permanent residency. Lots of expats take the easy route and choose to go the perpetual tourist route, then whinge about the visa runs, lack of stability, etc... Same holds true in other countries too, no magic there. Many countries are tightening the regulations on perpetual tourists doing border to continually renew their visas. Costa Rica being the latest. My only point is that all countries have visa regulations which foreigners must adhere to and Thailand is no different.

Any topic that starts with the subject of money has the potential for being closed.

Trust me.

KD

I know a farang who ripped up 2 Thai banknotes. At the time he didn't know this was an offence.

King of Thailand would not throw him in jail for his ignorance.

King of Thailand gave 500m THB of his own money to a village in Phetchabun for a dam to be built so the farmers have irrigation in the dry season and the villagers no longer fear the threat of drowning in the rainy season.

If You have got a million dollars and are debating wether to stay in thailand or not then it's up to you.

Personally I would stay.

Regards

KD

Trust me.

KD

I know a farang who ripped up 2 Thai banknotes. At the time he didn't know this was an offence.

King of Thailand would not throw him in jail for his ignorance.

King of Thailand gave 500m THB of his own money to a village in Phetchabun for a dam to be built so the farmers have irrigation in the dry season and the villagers no longer fear the threat of drowning in the rainy season.

If You have got a million dollars and are debating wether to stay in thailand or not then it's up to you.

Personally I would stay.

Regards

KD

Yeah. And I was that farang. 4 years ago in the Kamala Dreams Hotel Phuket.

And December 31st 2011 I was at the dam in Nam Ko.

Happy happy happy New Year.

Keep the faith.

KD

Up to you OP.

(And don't confuse statistics about church-going with anything that really matters. That battle was played out in north america long ago.

......To avoid confusion or mis-interpretaion let me make it perfectly clear. Native american indian wasn't too happy with the white man and his churches.)

I'll settle for a 50 buck bird table outside the home made from wood in Thailand.

We'll have to agree to disagree. There is a time of life for those with enough money where some spending down is the absolute correct thing to do, except in cases of people whose goal in life is leaving money to others.

Which is the case for most people.

Are you serious?!? The meaning of life is to die and leave money?

It's PART of the meaning of life if you have loved ones that you can help when you're dead, especially if you have children late in life that you may not be around to see finish university or get married and so help them with their first car or house deposit.

I agree if you're alone and have nobody to care about when you're dead then spend, spend, spend which is certainly what I would have done if I didn't have a family.

• Like 1

That DOES NOT mean the goal is to die with no money at all.

That is MY goal, but to be able to live as comfortably as possible up to that point. biggrin.png ,

Understood, but that is a risky goal if you are healthy or not planning to off yourself.

A mate of mine once said that if he ran out of money before he died he would shoot himself.

I told him it's much better to shoot the wife and claim off the insurance.

That DOES NOT mean the goal is to die with no money at all.

That is MY goal, but to be able to live as comfortably as possible up to that point. biggrin.png ,

Understood, but that is a risky goal if you are healthy or not planning to off yourself.

A mate of mine once said that if he ran out of money before he died he would shoot himself.

I told him it's much better to shoot the wife and claim off the insurance.

Yep. Money but no wife.

If I had a million dollars? I would wonder where the rest went coffee1.gif

So where is the last million going to be spent wanke_r?

Surely some of it in Thailand. If we are talking about having only a million, Thailand would be an excellent choice. Now anything above 10m is a different story. - <deleted>

Edited by Heimdallr

Surely some of it in Thailand. If we are talking about having only a million, Thailand would be an excellent choice. Now anything above 10m is a different story. - <deleted>

I think if I had a million, I might have options other than wan_king. I could go to any city in China...

SC

I think if I had a million, I might have options other than wan_king. I could go to any city in China...

SC

Must agree as the thread has brought out the jerk.gif .

PS: I know a tart who would piss all over you.

Must agree as the thread has brought out the jerk.gif .

Its always nice to have a hobby

SC

EDIT: I guess the other two must belong to the same club, or how would they know?

Do me a favour please by not putting me in the same bucket. I've invested too much to allow that insult to rest easy...

Cheers

Chris

If same question would have been popped around 6 or 7 years ago, maybe, right now there are much more better places to live in with that kind of money (South America, Hong Kong, Macao, Vietnam and why not even Cambodia)

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Hong Kong, Macao? I think implicitly the question was "If you had a million and wanted to stop working like a slave"

SC

If same question would have been popped around 6 or 7 years ago, maybe, right now there are much more better places to live in with that kind of money (South America, Hong Kong, Macao, Vietnam and why not even Cambodia)

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Hong Kong, Macao? I think implicitly the question was "If you had a million and wanted to stop working like a slave"

SC

I'm busting my ass in london making money and I miss the tgf.