Where To Go To Get A Thai Driving License?

hotandhumid

You have to go to the motor vehicle office near Regent school some 10km's outside Patts.

Try search the motor section in TV, there are lots of information what paper work you need (quite a lot).

If you are mobile you can drive out there and on the first floor is a board with a written list (English) what paper/doc are needed.

I finally managed to get the 5 year licenses lat year, but you will have to start getting the 1 year temp. ones and then after 1 year you can get the 5 years ones (tourist visa not enough for that).

Its easy to get the 1 year licenses, but come early and be patient and if you are lucky, you can walk out of there at noon time with 2 new shiny licenses.

Good luck.

As said lots of treads on here including a sticky, the best way is to have an international driving licence, issued for one year in your home country, for both types of vehicle, and then its a straight swop for Thai licences.

You have to go to the motor vehicle office near Regent school some 10km's outside Patts.

Try search the motor section in TV, there are lots of information what paper work you need (quite a lot).

If you are mobile you can drive out there and on the first floor is a board with a written list (English) what paper/doc are needed.

I finally managed to get the 5 year licenses lat year, but you will have to start getting the 1 year temp. ones and then after 1 year you can get the 5 years ones (tourist visa not enough for that).

Its easy to get the 1 year licenses, but come early and be patient and if you are lucky, you can walk out of there at noon time with 2 new shiny licenses.

Good luck.

Cheers for that. I have a car and a NON 'O' visa, so good to go.

Docs required I believe are....letter of resident, copies of visa, passport, TM card etc, doctors certificate, 2 small photos, copy of home country driving license...

.that's it.

I rented a car from a guy that didn't look too busy next to a paper copy stand,

so i could do practical test for both bike & car right away.

From Pattaya, i drive out of pattaya to north, and after a while after i exited Pattaya i turn right, under a road, think it is 36, then i drive south on that road quite a while, at least 10 km until i see a large brown school on the right hand, i then make a U-turn and drive back just 150 meter or so and turn left into a small soi that was just before and on the same side as the school, and you will see it after 300 meter or so.

in regard to International driving licences i have heard car insurance companies in thailand may not cover you. Even our insurance company here said they may not cover someone with an intl licence. I have a thai licence. However worried if i lend the car to a friend if the friend has an intl licence. Anyone have something concrete on this

rgds Mark

If the OP has the patience, he could check the following.

To get a 5 year licence, a person must already have a previous licence.

Being Thailand the officials assume this must be a Thai licence, which would be a 1 year licence, and this is what is offered to Farangs.

However, a previous licence can include a licence from another country --- obviously has to be a current one.

When I discovered this anomaly, I already had a 1 year licence, so have no incentive to investigate.

Please do report back, on your experience. I read it on a website somewhere, but cannot remember where.

Anyone know what the procedure is to renew a Thai Driving license after the 5yrs one expires ?

IE.

What paperwork do they need and how early should the renewal be made prior to the existing one expiring ?

Thanks in advance.

Here's a link to my renewal in March this year:

Pattaya , Renew Drivers License Current Docs & Process ?

Required paperwork, copies of:

Main page of passport.

Visa page of passport.

Last entry stamp and TM card.

Residence certificate, (or work permit, if applicable).

Medical certificate, one recent report had this as an requirement, so suggest take one along, even though I've never needed one.

Also recently seen reports on requirements for copies of your old licenses, both sides.

I've never brought copies of old licenses, just the originals, but could now be required.

One copy per license, (if renewing both car and motorcycle).

As for when to renew.

Go after your birthday, so that the license is expired, then you'll get 6 years validity.

I you renew before expiration, you'll "only" receive 5 years validity on your new license.

Good luck.

When changing from 1 year to 5 year i did it with tourist visa, no problem.

JH

in regard to International driving licences i have heard car insurance companies in thailand may not cover you. Even our insurance company here said they may not cover someone with an intl licence. I have a thai licence. However worried if i lend the car to a friend if the friend has an intl licence. Anyone have something concrete on this

rgds Mark

It is my understanding that all those "international driving licenses" you see around, credit card sized thing with a photo, are fake, and that's what the insurance companies won't cover.

The real thing is called an "international driving permit" and is a piece of paper, about A5 (for those not metric-challenged) and has no photos on it. All it does is validates your national driving license for international use, and is only valid for 3 months. I can't imagine an insurance company can deny a claim with this.

• Like 1

rgds Mark

It is my understanding that all those "international driving licenses" you see around, credit card sized thing with a photo, are fake, and that's what the insurance companies won't cover.

The real thing is called an "international driving permit" and is a piece of paper, about A5 (for those not metric-challenged) and has no photos on it. All it does is validates your national driving license for international use, and is only valid for 3 months. I can't imagine an insurance company can deny a claim with this.

The IDP is valid for one year.

Barry

Good luck.

When changing from 1 year to 5 year i did it with tourist visa, no problem.

JH

Hmm, okay good for you. When I was out renewing my 1 year ones to 5 years ones, I talked to an Italian guy that was fuming because they denied him a 5 year license on reason, (according to him) a tourist visa and gave him another 1 year one. He was not a happy trooper :D

rgds Mark

Barry

The IDP has an expiry date. The IDP I had was valid for 3 months.

rgds Mark

Barry

Are you sure Phil? I haven't had one for years, but I'm quite certain that my last IDP was valid for 12 months.

Then again it could depent on where it's issued.

rgds Mark

Mine is issued in Sweden, have a photo and is valid for 12 month.

Good luck.

Cheers for that. I have a car and a NON 'O' visa, so good to go.

Docs required I believe are....letter of resident, copies of visa, passport, TM card etc, doctors certificate, 2 small photos, copy of home country driving license...

.that's it.

no photo's required at pattaya, they take them ,when the licence is issued

Anyone know what the procedure is to renew a Thai Driving license after the 5yrs one expires ?

IE.

What paperwork do they need and how early should the renewal be made prior to the existing one expiring ?

Thanks in advance.

Main page of passport.

Visa page of passport.

Medical certificate, one recent report had this as an requirement, so suggest take one along, even though I've never needed one.

Also recently seen reports on requirements for copies of your old licenses, both sides.

I've never brought copies of old licenses, just the originals, but could now be required.

As for when to renew.

Go after your birthday, so that the license is expired, then you'll get 6 years validity.

I you renew before expiration, you'll "only" receive 5 years validity on your new license.

You do not need medical when renewing 5 year license. I did mine in Pattaya 2 weeks ago. I also commented in the above thread.

IE.

Thanks in advance.

Main page of passport.

Visa page of passport.

As for when to renew.

You do not need medical when renewing 5 year license. I did mine in Pattaya 2 weeks ago. I also commented in the above thread.

Looked around for the report, I'd seen recently, on someone being asked for a medical certificate.

It must have been the last post in the above thread, that we've both commented in.

However as it turns out, that was a 1 to 5 year renewal. So as you say, no need for a medical certificate when renewing a 5 year license.

Barry

Are you sure Phil? I haven't had one for years, but I'm quite certain that my last IDP was valid for 12 months.

Then again it could depent on where it's issued.

It's been a couple of years since I had one, but I'm quite sure. Anyway, whether it's 3 months or a year is really irrelevant, my point is that those id-card looking things I see many farangs flash here are fakes and that a reall IDP is just a piece of paper and I can't imagine an insurance company could avoid a claim if you were using that within it's sell-by date. ;)

Australian IDP's are valid for 12 months and have a photo.

• 1 year later...

rgds Mark

Barry

Yes it is but the Thais give you three months to get a Thai license if you live here. If you have an accident after the three months your insurance company will pull back from responsibility. The police don't know what an IDP is and will wave you through generally.

I have heard of people on a tourist visa getting a license, if you get taken to talk with this kind of license you are in trouble.

The process of getting a license here is really easy, why be difficult?

I will be applying for a one year license this week. As I read the above thread, the following documentation is required:

Copies of passport pgs (ID pg, visa & entry stamp pg, Visa Extension pg)
Copy of TM 6
Certificate of Residency
Medical Certificate
International Driving Permit
Copy of home country driver's license

I have all of the above except the medical certificate. I assume the attached document is the correct one to use, right? Also, any recommendations on a clinic or doctor to complete this certificate?

Bob

Med Cert.pdf

Where do you live, Bob? Specific area. Maybe a member will be able to help you out with a recommendation for a clinic.

FYI: the clinic will have the proper forum. Costs about 100B and they just fill it out. No examination necessary...usually...

Make sure you bring the originals also...in case extra copies are needed.

My wife got one done near there. Go past the dolphin round about towards Naklua. About 300M or so up the road, on the right, is a medical clinic. Has a green cross outside.

I got one done near 3rd road and South Pattaya road. On South Pattaya on the right as you are headed towards Tukcom. About 50m past the intersection as heading towards the beach...or so.

Pretty much every clinic in town will do this for you. Just look for the green cross!!

Good luck!