What Does It Take?

Don't know where you get decreased investment, seems that there are plenty of overseas investors. China would buy the country if they had the chance. Jim

Why bother to own it? Their own people are running the place anyway.

Many haven't been convinced of this yet......

Let's try this over in the business forum. An interesting side note. A friend of mine drove me around a section of Pattaya (Pratumnak Hill) to see new developments. It's amazing at how many there are...some are huge. I think one of the larger ones is called Nordic Village??? And a few really tall towers.

Seems investors are still strong here.

Topic Moved.

Thailand will always attract more investors since where else can you go ? Most countries are too dangerous and dont have the infrastructure and 'entertainment' on offer. Thailands got the lot .Even if 10 foreigners were killed here every day it wouldnt make much difference.

Thailand has coups,tsunamis,jet ski mafia,farangs falling off high rise buildings but nothing changes.

Who wants to go to Dark Africa,Russia,Sth America or Latin America ?.... nobody.

OP: Not sure what you are basing your statements on as tourism and investment in Thailand are doing just fine. The answer to your question is "no chance". It will happen the same time that foreigners can own land. And yes, in saying that, I realise there are some limited exceptions - in Thailand there usually are.

Yes, there has been talk at different times about "opening-up" "liberalising" etc etc, and I think there have even been studies done, but this seems to be just 'carrot-dangling' and feel-good stuff ... perhaps to placate others in relation to Thailand's obligations under international treaties? Anyway said 'initiatives' have not amounted to any tangible 'across-the-board' changes as far as I am aware. And I wouldn't be holding my breath for any departures from this script :sick:

PS: I have actually just finished a paper on the issue of foreign investors in Thailand, but not sure if I am allowed to link to it. Anyway, if anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

..... A friend of mine drove me around a section of Pattaya (Pratumnak Hill) to see new developments. It's amazing at how many there are...some are huge. ......

Seems investors are still strong here.

There are indeed an amazing number of developments, with many, many more on the way.

Next time, get your friend to drive you round Wong Amat, or 2d Rd in Jomtien.

So I would say developers are still going strong here (for the moment, mostly, except the ones that run out of money), but I'm not at all sure who is buying the things, or what they are going to do with them when they are built. I certainly see lots of people buying units off-plan, with a view to "flipping" them before the balance becomes due in a couple of years time. And I also see "flippers" who got their sums wrong and are desperate to sell contracts on at more or less any price before the balance becomes due soon.

I also see many unsold units still available from the developer in a lot of buildings, and a lot of unsold resale units in completed buildings. But not so many units that go on the market one day and sell for near the asking price a couple of weeks later, which to me is the only sign of a healthy market.

Answers, on a postcard, to ...........

Well put. Kinda reminds me of Vegas. Back in 2004, you had to wait in line to buy a house! Crazy. I think the total inventory for all of Vegas was very low...like a few thousand. I think it's near 30-40k now, or maybe higher? But even there, houses in good developments are selling (i.e. golf course view, strip condo, etc.). Location, location, location. Right???

Thailand will always attract more investors since where else can you go ? Most countries are too dangerous and dont have the infrastructure and 'entertainment' on offer. Thailands got the lot .Even if 10 foreigners were killed here every day it wouldnt make much difference.

Thailand has coups,tsunamis,jet ski mafia,farangs falling off high rise buildings but nothing changes.

Who wants to go to Dark Africa,Russia,Sth America or Latin America ?.... nobody.

Can we include the UK and US in that list?laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif