Acid Attack On Foreigners At Asoke Bts Station

george

Miricle Thailand!!!!!!

edit sorry: Miracle

Yeah I get your ennuendo. Something crazy like this could not happen in any other big city right? It just would not make the news. I think that this forum should change its name to the "I Don't Have a Life of My Own So I Spend My Time Dumping Others Group."

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think skepticism about this report and the possibility of other related incidents is logical. However, what I find very distasteful is a seemingly strong bias by certain people here to suppress any information of any kind that MAY put Thailand in a bad light. That's bizarre and wrong. If it proves true there are acid attacks happening, and especially IF they are racially motivated, yes that does reflect badly on Thailand, just as if Muslims were having acid thrown on them in New York would reflect poorly on the USA. Grow up. Thailand is just another country.

Our function as expats is NOT to protect its face.

Edited by Jingthing

here here..I'm a foreigner and Thai people are overwhelmingly nice to foreigners, i'm not super polite or anything but they still seem to go out of their way to be nice so this acid attack is not consistent with Thai attitudes toward foreigners but the police need to find out who/what this 'gang' is, what motivates them, and to bring them in. . . and true I still feel safer here than I do in socal where i came from despite the arson/protests and other violence that has occured here recently so for me this is still the best place to be..

I feel sorry for the injured couple and hope they make a quick recovery. I also hope that whatever happened isn't blamed on the Thai people. If they were attacked, the attacker could be of any nationality including Thai. It is certainly not the attitude of the nation as a whole to harm any visitor to our country. On the contrary, I think most people would welcome visitors, for business or leisure. It's not fair to say that the Police can't help when help wasn't asked for. I've been attacked, mugged at gun point in the US. I've had a good friend murdered senselessly in Washington DC. I've known victims of other kinds of assault there as well, but I most certainly did not place blame on the country. Mishaps can happen in any country in the world and not just here. It's a good thing the injured pair went to Bamrungrad Hospital to get good treatment, or else we might start seeing complaints of sub standard hospitals too.

Crimes are terrible, no matter where they are committed. It's a bad reflection to look back on and it certainly doesn't help the country's image. But there needs to be fairlness in all this as well. Blaming Thais will not help, Stop stereotyping Thai people as ignorant culprits. It does nothing to promote good relations and don't let an incident like this tear up the relationship of the countries.

1. Alleged victim saw no assailant.

2. No reports other than this woman's. A tweet and a blog post short on details, and a BKK Post article that just repeats the tweet.

3. No real indication of what this substance might have been, but acid would be very low on the list given the following:

Husband's eyes were "melting" in front of her, BUT immediate release from hospital and dinner out later that night. Really?

4. Rather than report this to authorities, tweets and a blog post. Yes, no crimes are ever solved here, so why bother reporting them, right?

5. Blog post exhibits lot of unhappiness with 'Thailand' (to whom the post is addressed as a spurned lover no less) prior to the alleged incident, and will now be moving to China. Hmm, issues.

6. Artist is thankful a 'non-corrosive acid' was used. <deleted>?

Indeed, this could have happened in Thailand. Thailand is not perfect, or even close. But this story needs a LOT more research before it can be accepted as a true story.

If however, it does turn out to be true, then the Thai Basherstm brigade can pile on about how:

1. ...uniquely evil Thailand is.

2. ...Thais have been trained from birth to hate foreigners.

3. ...Thais are just the most violent, hateful, rude people you could ever imagine.

4. ...you must be crazy to even live here faced with such danger.

5. ...Things are just getting worse here and spiraling out of control.

6. ...anyone who denies the above is living in a dream land or has 'gone native'

7. ...this is what happens when you have a Thaksin government.

8. yada yada yada

P.S. Nice retweet Bangkok Post reporters. Did you think to check with anyone at Bumrungrad hospital? Did you interview this woman? Did you visit the scene to see if anyone there witnessed anything? No, you just wrote up a tweet. Pulitzer work.

I think skepticism about this report and the possibility of other related incidents is logical. However, what I find very distasteful is a seemingly strong bias by certain people here to suppress any information of any kind that MAY put Thailand in a bad light. That's bizarre and wrong. If it proves true there are acid attacks happening, and especially IF they are racially motivated, yes that does reflect badly on Thailand, just as if Muslims were having acid thrown on them in New York would reflect poorly on the USA. Grow up. Thailand is just another country.

Our function as expats is NOT to protect its face.

I don't see anyone saying anything like that. We just want to know the facts before ringing the town bells and yelling that farangs are being targeted.

Facts like, you know, was it intentional? Who did it? What was the motivation.

At this point we know almost zilch.

2. No reports other than this woman's. A tweet and a blog post short on details, and a BKK Post article that just repeats the tweet.

3. No real indication of what this substance might have been, but acid would be very low on the list given the following:

Husband's eyes were "melting" in front of her, BUT immediate release from hospital and dinner out later that night. Really?

4. Rather than report this to authorities, tweets and a blog post. Yes, no crimes are ever solved here, so why bother reporting them, right?

5. Blog post exhibits lot of unhappiness with 'Thailand' (to whom the post is addressed as a spurned lover no less) prior to the alleged incident, and will now be moving to China. Hmm, issues.

Indeed, this could have happened in Thailand. Thailand is not perfect, or even close. But this story needs a LOT more research before it can be accepted as a true story.

If however, it does turn out to be true, then the Thai Basherstm brigade can pile on about how:

3. ...Thais are just the most violent, hateful, rude people you could ever imagine.

6. ...anyone who denies the above is living in a dream land or has 'gone native'

8. yada yada yada

P.S. Nice retweet Bangkok Post reporters. Did you think to check with anyone at Bumrungrad hospital? Did you interview this woman? Did you visit the scene to see if anyone there witnessed anything? No, you just wrote up a tweet. Pulitzer work.

Her blog now contains this update:

NB: I will not be posting pictures of my husband's burns, as has been suggested by strangers who have emailed me. He is not a sideshow act.

Curiouser and curiouser. Tweets and blogs about it, but when asked for a simple photo showing the burns or damage her husband suffered suddenly it is 'move along, nothing to see here, he's not a sideshow'.

Wouldn't be the first time:

My link

My link

Doesn't sound intentional to me either.

Probably some acidic liquid fell from the construction above the station.

There is also a possibility that the cleaning crew of BTS spilled some chemical as they were cleaning the station. By her description of the injury, it seems that the acid is not too strong.

BTW, I liked your avatar, with the ant crawling about and I trying to thumb it when I first saw it on my screen. I had a good laugh when I realised it was your avatar.

This is based on one post from someone's Twitter page, and it is news? Should it not be a little more substantiated than this to be put on the Bangkok Post web site?

NAW - this is low enough for the Post to pick up...

I miss the Bangkok World, it's coverage, and it's historical posts from the past...

Did the Hospital confirm this or is it considered confirmed because the women (who nobody has interviewed) says an unnamed doctor (who didn't know what the substance was) said it to them as her husband was being treated for his melting eyes right before they went to dinner?

If there is nothing from "the hospital" then there certainly is no confirmation and simply hearsay from a women who seems to embellish and state speculation as fact in her blog and twitter post.

Ever hear of patient confidentiality? I seriously doubt a hospital would release any detailed patient information.

A hospital and medical staff have a duty to inform the public of dangers such as this if indeed there is a pattern of this happening. It has nothing to with patient confidentiality or knowing the treatment given to any particular patient ... such as stating a number of people have been treated for acid attacks since the women claims her doctor seemed to be personally aware of others recently.

But given the women has made her name (and picture) and her husband's name available as well as why she claimed he was admitted to the hospital and treatment he received, I really couldn't see them not allowing the hospital to confirm this ... unless of course she, after giving all the details, decides she doesn't want her husband to be a side show as she has regarding posting a picture of his eyes.

Did she make a police report???????huh.gif

Would that have been more effective than a twitter post?

How do you guys know she didn't make a report ? You're all speculating about a situation that you have absolutely no knowledge of or proof.Bangkok is a city of over 10 m people you would expect bad and good things to happen wouldn't you ?

I thought she wrote on her blog that she went to the police after they had dinner.

8. yada yada yada

Quality.

Where they robbed? Or is it someone with an apparent hate of foreigners!!

Sounds like a sicko. Probably attacks on Thais as well but its not being reported.

I think Psychopaths are in every country. Jaba could be the answer, good that not more happened to them, easy to lose an eye.....jap.gif

I think Psychopaths are in every country. Jaba could be the answer, good that not more happened to them, easy to lose an eye.....jap.gif

Yeah he was an evil bastard wasn't he but I'm putting my money on Boba Fett myself.

Did she make a police report???????huh.gif

Most westerners wouldn't know how to report anything to the police in Thailand. Many westerners in Thailand don't trust the Poilice. If they are going to be okay, then they probably figure it is best not to go near a Thai Police.

This is based on one post from someone's Twitter page, and it is news? Should it not be a little more substantiated than this to be put on the Bangkok Post web site?

You obviously didn't read the "multiple" twitter posts.

Let's put some pressure on Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung and his new police chief to roll some heads in the area between Soi 4 and Asoke. Frankly it is disgraceful.

Illegal drugs being sold openly on tables on the sidewalk.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung should put on a hat and glasses and walk alone from Soi 4 to Asoke at about 8:00 pm any day of the week and even he would be shocked at what he would see.

This whole area needs a major cleanup. How about

Except that it is not easy to walk between all the makeshift shops, I am ok with that area, specialy later in the night until morning.rolleyes.gif

Regarding the illegal drugs, I joke with the salespersons,as I can buy similar stuff in Cambodia openly in shops to prices, which stuns the boys!smile.gif

Someone mentioned cloaca, could be, bird shit is very caustic and can take the paint of cars and the skin off humans. Ever seen pigeons hopping around on stumps instead of feet, that's the result of perching in their own droppings.

Years ago, I was walking in HK in an alley between two buildings - and got a droplet of some nasty chemical in my eye. It was a tiny bit, and I recovered within minutes - but this article reminded me. Perhaps it's possible the 'attack' in the OP was merely someone stupidly and irresponsibly disposing of a caustic chemical - by just tossing it aside - and it unfortunately affected the farang. If such a thing happened to a non-Hi-So Thai, nothing would have been reported, as Thais are world famous for not complaining about serious things.

If you take a few seconds to google this womans name you may conclude she is a bit of a publicity hound. Se says she follows her dreams of a nomadic lifestyle. Some may think she travels Asia making up stories and selling them with her photos and paintings to a gullible public.

ME? Still reckon it was bird-shit ---- pigeons are perceptive creatures.:lol:

Are you calling her a liar?? Are you saying Miracle Thailand doesnt do this to foreigners? There is a higher% of British people murdered in Thailand every year than in UK. Foreign Governments should warn their tourists to stay away from the LOS!! Thai people are jealous of farang because they perceive thm as being over rich and easily fooled - a bit like the ones that think everythings good in Thailand!!

:violin:

The only criteria for "newsworthy events" is that they generate more foaming at the mouth by the Thai Bashers, Police Bashers and Little-Old-Ladies-of-Fair-Complexions-Contingent.

If after reading an article you can grunt:" ummm Thai bad, farang good," then it's passed the editorial scrutiny hurdle.

Humm...I always had the impression Thai good foreign national bad. At least that's the impression I got. Should I use gook instead of Thai? kinda same same farang.