Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

RamdomChances

คุณ nakachalet (since you tried to show how much you know about Thai people and Thai language, I think it'd be better to write it in Thai, so that, you can read it clearly than reading my poor English.)

ด้วยความเคารพ ตอนแรกที่ได้อ่านที่คุณเขียน ก็พอจะรับรู้ได้ว่าระดับสติปัญญาของคุณมีอยู่แค่ไหน ก็เลยไม่คิดจะต่อความยาวสาวความยืด แต่รู้สึกคุณก็ยังไม่เข้าใจอยู่ดีว่าอะไรเป็นอะไร จนได้ไปดิ้นรนทำแบบสำรวจเพื่อหาพวกพ้องมาสนับสนุนความคิดต่ำ ๆ ของตัวเอง บอกได้เพียงว่า แบบสำรวจของคุณนั้น ทำขึ้นด้วยความไม่รู้ซึ่ง "กาละเทศะ" ผลที่คุณได้ ก็ย่อมสมควรแล้วด้วยประการทั้งปวง แต่หาใช่เป็นข้อยืนยันความคิดของคุณไม่

สิ่งที่คุณควรจะทำเป็นอย่างแรก มากกว่าการทำแบบสอบถามที่ไร้ปัญญาแบบนั้นคือ ค้นหาคำพูดนี้ใน google แล้ววิเคราะห์แต่ละความคิดเห็นที่มีคำพูดนี้อยู่ ว่ามีลักษณะคำพูดไปในทางทิศใด คุณจะเข้าใจความหมายของมันมากกว่านี้

แล้วสิ่งที่ได้อธิบายไป บอกว่าเป็นลักษณะโดยทั่วไปของครู(โดยมิได้เอ่ยว่าเป็นหญิงหรือชาย ในความคิดเห็นนั้น) ถ้าคุณพอจะรู้จักวัฒนธรรมของคนไทยดี จะรู้ว่าที่มาที่ไปของคำพูดนี้เป็นอย่างไร แต่จะไม่ขออธิบายให้คุณฟัง เพราะอาจจะยากเกินความสามารถของคุณที่จะเรียนรู้ได้

ซึ่งเชื่อว่าคุณ bannork ซึ่งมีวุฒิภาวะ และความเข้าใจในวัฒนธรรมของไทยเป็นอย่างดี สามารถเข้าใจในเรื่องนี้ได้อย่างง่ายดาย

ข้อความข้างล่างนี้ คัดมาจาก http://www.geocities.com/bs_faculty/sheet12.htm

ผศ.โสภาภรณ์ ทรรพนันทน์

สหัสวรรษใหม่ ก็คือ สหัสวรรษเก่า ครูใน สหัสวรรษใหม่ ก็คือ ครูคนเก่า แต่ ปรับเปลี่ยนให้ทันยุค ทันสมัย ทันคน (อื่นๆ) ไม่ให้ได้ชื่อว่า ครู – ครึ หรือ "ถือถุง พุงป่อง น่องทู่" ฯลฯ

ในกระบวนการจัดการศึกษา ไม่ว่าจะสหัสวรรษใดก็ตาม ต้องยกให้ "ครู" เป็นเอก พระเอก / นางเอก นอกนั้นเป็นรองหรือตัวร้ายไปเลย ถ้าจะปรับเปลี่ยนให้ทันยุค ทันสมัย ทันคนตลอดไป ก็จะต้องมีลักษณะสำคัญ ดังนี้ เป็นพื้นฐาน

มีวิสัยทัศน์กว้างไกล ใฝ่รู้ ให้ทันกับเหตุการณ์ต่าง ๆ ทันวิทยาการ และเทคโนโลยี ตลอดจน ไอที ใหม่ ๆ ยอมรับความคิด ความรู้ ความเปลี่ยนแปลงทั้งหลายทั้งปวง นำปรับใช้ในการจัดการเรียนการสอน และเป็นแหล่งวิชาการให้แก่นักเรียนหรือผู้อื่นได้ด้วย

มีความสามารถในการที่จะนำทฤษฎี / หลักการ / วิชาการ / วิทยายุทธทั้งมวลไปสู่การปฏิบัติจริงให้ได้ โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งนำมาปฏิบัติในการจัดการเรียนการสอน ด้วยเทคนิค / เทคโนโลยีหลากหลาย ใช้สื่ออุปกรณ์เหมาะสม

มีบุคลิกภาพดี มีมนุษยสัมพันธ์ที่ดี เป็นมิตรกับบุคคลทั่วไป (สลัด ความครึ หรือ ถือถุง พุงป่อง น่องทู่ ทิ้งไป)

พยายามอ่านและทำความเข้าใจกับมันก่อน ถ้ามันยากเกินไป ก็ค่อย ๆ อ่าน หวังว่าคงจะเข้าใจอะไรได้มากกว่านี้

ยินดีที่ได้เสวนาด้วย แต่คงไม่อยากจะเสวนากับคนประเภทคุณอีกต่อไป ขอบคุณ

ความรู้ต่ำต้อยผิวเผิน

อวดอ้างเหิมเกริมสอนสั่ง

คนเตือนกลับไม่อินัง

เลือกจักกักขังตนเอง

Edited by yoot

yoot and mangkorn

i do hope both of you are not licensed teachers. properly trained and licensed teachers are expected to conduct themselves more respectably, especially when appearing in public or writing a statement for public consumption, such as in thaivisa column.

look at yourselves and what you wrote and what you stand for, yoot and mangkorn, with the intent to put someone down or ridicule someone.... it is very sad.

the moderator already stated the purpose and intention of this sub forum--to respect others' post. they also advised against what some of you did, but then you ignored their posted declaration just yesterday.

why do you need to say something to put down or ridicule someone that you do not know well?

i do not personally know the moderators but i do respect their implied request. so i would not throw mud at you in return.

look at yourselves, both of you, and examine yourselves and your expressive derogatory writing in thai language.... perhaps you need to engage someone older and wiser to help you revamp yourselves and your thai street language expressed in public.

however, i do want to thank you for the attached article in thai language concerning the upgrading of the thai educational system which would be wonderful for thailand, when it is equally applied and practised by all school administrators--problems such as making fun of female gender, sexual harassment and sexual intimidation in thailand would surely diminish.

yoot, see i do read your mother language thai quite well and comprehend perhaps even more.... which led me to voice my concerns over the use of certain wordings to belittle or poke fun at feminine gender....with or without malicious intent....

anyway, as one of my objectives in life is to help others to succeed and realize their human potentials to the fullest.... i shall henceforth continue my life journey....

as one of the intent of this sub forum as i understood it, is to help promote the languages, so farangs and thais alike could mutually benefit.... so let's just stick to that.... shall we? .... and i rest....

A VERY HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE LADIES.... PARTICULARLY HER ROYAL MAJESTY THE QUEEN OF THAILAND.... MAY SHE BE OVERFLOWED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS AND MAY SHE LIVE TO BE HUNDREDS....

varn-sui, varn-sui, varn-varn-sui (let's ask linquist in residence, what that means)

This thread got very much derailed by enthusiastic bluster.

How does varn-sui get into context anyway? It seems like an Indicised version of Wan-Sui. This does not fit into the context of this thread at all.

That is magnificent English-'enthusiastic bluster'!

I was reading a blog recently and I stumbled accross this sentence: ถ้าคุณคิดว่าคุณดีพอ...คุณคือคนสุดท้ายที่ฉันจะรัก

I understand the words, but I haven't been able to make head-or-toe of the meaning of the sentence. I assume it is a quote or a Thai saying... can anybody here tell me what is the English equivalent? Unfortunately I don't know any Thais whose English is good enough to explain it to me... Thanks in advance.

ถ้าคุณคิดว่าคุณดีพอ...คุณคือคนสุดท้ายที่ฉันจะรัก

It seems pretty simple, and not altogether a saying or a phrase.

If you think that you're good enough... (that) you're the last person that I will love.

How about this?

If you think that you are good enough [for me], then you are the last person I would [fall in] love with.

Reminds me of Groucho Marx's famous dictum,

"I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."

How about this?

If you think that you are good enough [for me], then you are the last person I would [fall in] love with.

"I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."

I love that quote... lol. Thanks. James.

A newspaper recently described sprinters Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay as engaging in a 'สงครามน้ำลาย'.

I assume they were not physically spitting at each other, and that this is a common way of saying 'a war of words'.

I bet it is a "sportsism" derived from the English phrase "spitting contest". (See, for example, http://www.allthingssouthern.com/definition.html )

There is a similar English term having to do with another body liquid function; it will be interesting to see if this one makes it to the Thai newspapers as well.

How about this?

"I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."

Is that really the same?

For Groucho he's saying that he's that he's 'lower' than the club (self-deprecation), whereas in the Thai script, the speaker's saying s/he's above the other person.

Edited by katana

How about this?

"I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."

Is that really the same?

For Groucho he's saying that he's that he's 'lower' than the club (self-deprecation), whereas in the Thai script, the speaker's saying s/he's above the other person.

Or, she's saying in effect that he is not humble enough, or he's too arrogant?

I was told, something along the lines of a woman who's married but still dresses beautifully, perhaps still seeking admirers?

กระดังงา is a type of tree, ลนไฟ is to be singed (by fire)!

it rather means women who have been with men before know know how to please them. Similarly, Thai ylang-ylang flowers, that are softened by flame, usually give out more fragrant. They are usually used for extra fragrant in the Thai sweet.

Ok, but is there a Thai saying or aphorism that implies, "something along the lines of a woman who's married but still dresses beautifully, perhaps still seeking admirers"?

I'd love to know that one :)

And is there a less subtle aphorism to convey, "women who have been with men before know know how to please them"?

• 3 weeks later...

David mentioned the idiom ลิงแก้แห the other day, I saw a nice appendage to that yesterday ยิ่งแก้ยิ่งถลำลึก the more he tries to untie himself, the more he gets entangled. Perhaps similar to the English 'digging himself into a hole' or 'painting himself into a corner'.

• 1 month later...

From the headline in the tragic offbeat story below, cut from the Thai Rath, I'm quite sure that เจ้าโลก is used as an idiom.

วัยรุ่นลำปางพิเรนทร์ฉีดขี้ผึ้งใส่เจ้าโลกจนเน่าเฟะ

โจ๋อยากใหญ่ ใช้ขี้ผึ้งรักษาแผลพุพองต้มน้ำร้อนจนละลายฉีดเข้าอวัยวะเพศ เพื่อขยายขนาด ผลปรากฏว่าใหญ่สมใหญ่ แต่เป็นแผลเน่าลุกลาม แพทย์ชี้เสี่ยงติดเชื้อเข้ากระแสเลือดถึงตาย... 

เมื่อวันที่ 30 ต.ค. นพ.ศิริชัย ภัทรนุธาพร นายแพทย์สาธารณสุขจังหวัดลำปาง เปิดเผยว่า โรงพยาบาลได้รับตัวผู้ป่วยวัยรุ่นชาย อายุ 21 ปี รักษาอวัยวะเพศอักเสบรุนแรง เนื่องจากผู้ป่วยดังกล่าวนำขี้ผึ้งชนิดหลอดที่ใช้รักษาแผลพุพอง แผลติดเชื้อ แผลน้ำร้อนลวก หรือแผลไฟไหม้ทั่วไป มาต้มในน้ำร้อนกลายเป็นของเหลวแล้วฉีดเข้าไปในอวัยวะเพศ เพราะคิดว่าจะทำให้ขนาดใหญ่ขึ้น  

ปรากฏว่า หลังจากฉีดเข้าไปประมาณ 1 สัปดาห์ อวัยวะเพศขยายตัวใหญ่ขึ้นจากขี้ผึ้งที่ละลายเข้าไปจับตัวแข็งอยู่ในผิวหนัง แต่เกิดแผลลุกลามมากขึ้น ขณะนี้แพทย์ได้ตัดชิ้นเนื้อของอวัยวะเพศ บางส่วนที่เน่าออกไป  เมื่อบาดแผลเริ่มดีขึ้นจะนำผิวหนังส่วนอื่นมาตกแต่งให้เป็นแบบเดิม ส่วนความรู้สึกต้องรอดูหลังจากหายเป็นปกติแล้ว  

อย่างไรก็ตาม ขอเตือนวัยรุ่นที่มีค่านิยมผิดๆ ในเรื่องนี้ ถือเสี่ยงอันตรายมาก เพราะถ้าติดเชื้ออย่างรุนแรงและเข้าสู่กระแสเลือด จะทำให้ช็อคและเสียชีวิตด้วยโลหิตเป็นพิษ

• 2 weeks later...

ปูนหมายหัว

This one was brought to my attention after it was used on a radio program. It was explained to me to mean: You won’t be a better person in the next life than you were in this one. The jist of the translation being that betel chewing leaves stains on the body (doesn’t have to be the head.)

Klons,

"คำคล้องจอง" says:

"ปูนหมายหัว ก. (สำ) ทำนายไว้ล่วงหน้าบุคคลนั้นๆ จะต้องเป็นไปเช่นนั้น"

Is this the same meaning?

Thanks for bringing this up.

ปูนหมายหัว

This one was brought to my attention after it was used on a radio program. It was explained to me to mean: You won’t be a better person in the next life than you were in this one. The jist of the translation being that betel chewing leaves stains on the body (doesn’t have to be the head.)

From RID:

เอาปูนหมายหัว

(สํา) ก. ผูกอาฆาตไว้, คาดโทษไว้, เชื่อแน่ว่าจะเป็นไปตามที่คาดหมายไว้, ประมาทหน้าว่าไม่มีทางจะเอาดีได้.

หมายหัว

ก. จดจำไว้ด้วยความประสงค์ร้าย เช่น เขาถูกพวกนักเลงหมายหัวไว้ว่าจะต้องหาทางกำจัดให้ได้, คาดหมายไว้ว่าจะเป็นไปในทางไม่ดี เช่น เด็กคนนี้ถูกหมายหัวไว้ว่าจะต้องสอบตกแน่ ๆ.

I don't think the meaning you got was correct.

Blowleopard,

I'm afraid I've developed a spot of indigestion after savouring a piece of your latest offering for some of your Thai counterparts contain ingredients that really can't be included in the same dish, for example:

จองหอง doesn't mean sassy,it means arrogant, conceited, too much self confidence, a big ego, as certain so-called bannork possess.

หยาบคาย is more like crude, coarse or vulgar, ie ' as a country boy my humour was too coarse for the refined Bannork hi-so'.

ไร้มารยาท means lacking manners or illmannered, I've often heard it used when a customer or consumer is complaining about the poor quality service he or she has received and the official responsible has shown no sense of respect or decorum.

ทลึ่ง is definitely the best word for cheeky and can be applied to bannork.

Happy eating,

yours,

bannork.

Translate my thoughts on you two geniuses (above)

ปูนหมายหัว

From RID:

เอาปูนหมายหัว

(สํา) ก. ผูกอาฆาตไว้, คาดโทษไว้, เชื่อแน่ว่าจะเป็นไปตามที่คาดหมายไว้, ประมาทหน้าว่าไม่มีทางจะเอาดีได้.

หมายหัว

ก. จดจำไว้ด้วยความประสงค์ร้าย เช่น เขาถูกพวกนักเลงหมายหัวไว้ว่าจะต้องหาทางกำจัดให้ได้, คาดหมายไว้ว่าจะเป็นไปในทางไม่ดี เช่น เด็กคนนี้ถูกหมายหัวไว้ว่าจะต้องสอบตกแน่ ๆ.

I don't think the meaning you got was correct.

The meaning was related to me by the Thai wife who may or may not be correct. I tried doing a literal translation before, but the closest I could

get to ปูน being a Betel nut chewer was that it is used in concocting the betel nut mixture before consumption. I did find the phrase in a blog without the เอา up front, however I can't figure out the meaning of the blog either. I am quite a few levels below you folks, what would it mean in this?

มองลงต่ำลอดขาฝ่าพระบาท

โลกจะเห็นประวัติศาสตร์ที่เสียศูนย์

สื่อยื่นไมค์ป๋าก็พูดเหมือนสูตรคูณ

เบื่อเห็นปูนหมายหัวตัวเป็นเป็น

One of our friends son is a complete prat. He likes to dish it out but, but he doesn't like it when it comes back. I've tried to explain to my wife about "If you can't take it, don't dish it out." Is there a Thai equivalent of this one?

One of our friends son is a complete prat. He likes to dish it out but, but he doesn't like it when it comes back. I've tried to explain to my wife about "If you can't take it, don't dish it out." Is there a Thai equivalent of this one?

ไห้ทุกข์แก่ท่าน ทุกข์นั้นถึึงตัว

hâi túk gàe tâan · túk nán theungR dtua

What goes around comes around.

Give others suffering and the suffering comes back to you.

That is the closest match I can find. I have heard it used on Thai

TV, Source is Becker’s speak like a Thai Vol III.

(used thai2english for transliteration, but ถึึง was not found

so that one comes from thailanguage.com transliteration.)

ไห้ทุกข์แก่ท่าน ทุกข์นั้นถึึงตัว

hâi túk gàe tâan · túk nán theungR dtua

What goes around comes around.

Give others suffering and the suffering comes back to you.

ทำชั่วได้ชั่ว

You could try เอาใจเขามาใส่ใจเรา ao jai khao ma sai jai rao- be nice to him and he'll be nice back