30day,90day Or 1year Visa?

I am new to this forum and was hoping that some expat with experience can help clear up the quagmire of Visas offered by the Thai government. My wife is Thai and I am American, we have been married for twenty years and living in the states. We are giving serious thought to retiring in Thailand next year and I was told by a friend who lived in Thailand for a number of years, that until I am 50(currently 48) I would have to get a 90 day Visa and then leave the country every 90 days to renew it. This information seemed straighforward until I started reading this forum and found that people were talking about leaving the country for 30 day renewals. Has the law changed in the last few years or are those 30 day renewals a different kind of Visa. Thanks in advance for any reply!

I am new to this forum and was hoping that some expat with experience can help clear up the quagmire of Visas offered by the Thai government. My wife is Thai and I am American, we have been married for twenty years and living in the states. We are giving serious thought to retiring in Thailand next year and I was told by a friend who lived in Thailand for a number of years, that until I am 50(currently 48) I would have to get a 90 day Visa and then leave the country every 90 days to renew it. This information seemed straighforward until I started reading this forum and found that people were talking about leaving the country for 30 day renewals. Has the law changed in the last few years or are those 30 day renewals a different kind of Visa. Thanks in advance for any reply!

With an income/savings exceeding 400,000 in a bank in Thailand you can extend the Non-Immigrant O visa based on marriage, and support of a Thai and extend that O visa for one year at a time at Immigration in Thailand. No need to make visa runs ever if you don't want to leave the country.

With an income/savings exceeding 400,000 in a bank in Thailand you can extend the Non-Immigrant O visa based on marriage, and support of a Thai and extend that O visa for one year at a time at Immigration in Thailand. No need to make visa runs ever if you don't want to leave the country.

Thanks for your quick reply Dr. Pat! So my initial Visa application in the states should be an 0 Visa, then when we get situated in Thailand, all I have to do is to transfer about $10,000 U.S. over to a Thai bank account and do the proper paperwork and apply for a one year extension at a time based on me supporting my Thai wife. Just out of curiosity what type of one year Visa is it that you have to be 50 years old to qualify for, is that the case if you are not supporting a Thai wife? Thanks in advance again for your reply!

The 400k extension of stay is called support Thai wife and she will have to play a big part in getting it.

Over age 50 you also have the 800k extension to remain in Thailand (retirement) and that does not require wife or her presence.

You can use the same type O visa and you can change from one to another.

Thanks for your quick reply Dr. Pat! So my initial Visa application in the states should be an 0 Visa, then when we get situated in Thailand, all I have to do is to transfer about $10,000 U.S. over to a Thai bank account and do the proper paperwork and apply for a one year extension at a time based on me supporting my Thai wife. Just out of curiosity what type of one year Visa is it that you have to be 50 years old to qualify for, is that the case if you are not supporting a Thai wife? Thanks in advance again for your reply!

Succinctly put. You got it (or maybe you knew all along).

Over 50. Retirement. Married or single. 800k or 65k/mth.

Before you ask 30 day border runs (they are not visas) are for genuine tourists or those whose dubious/illegal/unsavoury activities make it unsafe for them to go within a 100 miles of a Thai consulate.

The 400k extension of stay is called support Thai wife and she will have to play a big part in getting it.

Over age 50 you also have the 800k extension to remain in Thailand (retirement) and that does not require wife or her presence.

You can use the same type O visa and you can change from one to another.

Thank you Lopburi! I am glad to hear that I will not have to leave the country every 90 days until my 50th Birthday. Two other quick questions-(1)- Is the paperwork extremely involved for the support Thai wife Visa?-(2)- I don't mind parking 10 grand in a Thai bank, but if we decide after a couple years that we want to head back to the staes to live is that 10 grad fully acessable to us or have you ever heard of stories that the Thai government froze those type of accounts? Thanks again for any of your considerate replies!

Succinctly put. You got it (or maybe you knew all along).

Over 50. Retirement. Married or single. 800k or 65k/mth.

Before you ask 30 day border runs (they are not visas) are for genuine tourists or those whose dubious/illegal/unsavoury activities make it unsafe for them to go within a 100 miles of a Thai consulate.

Thanks Dr. Pat! I had heard about the over 50 Visa, but had not been clued in to the support Thai wife Visa. Also thanks for info on the boarder runs, I think now I have a better picture on what going on with that situation.

I don't mind parking 10 grand in a Thai bank, but if we decide after a couple years that we want to head back to the staes to live is that 10 grad fully acessable to us or have you ever heard of stories that the Thai government froze those type of accounts? Thanks again for any of your considerate replies!

Yeah.

Every so often when Thai government thinks there are too many foreigners around they freeze their bank A/Cs so the farang can’t withdraw to meet living expenses, or transfer further funds and therefore won’t qualify for a visa extension. And it's back to the US of A. Ever been there Vegas?

VEGASVIC. You fraud. Whats the weather like in Pattaya.

Next time remember to ensure your local time is set to Las Vegas time.

Seen all, learnt nothing: I am not quite sure what your problem is, but whatever it is please seek help! I am thankful that all of the posters on this thread are not as obnoxious as you are. By the way the weather in Vegas is rather cool tonight, kind of like the attitude that you aford new posters!

Seen all, learnt nothing: I am not quite sure what your problem is, but whatever it is please seek help! I am thankful that all of the posters on this thread are not as obnoxious as you are. By the way the weather in Vegas is rather cool tonight, kind of like the attitude that you aford new posters!

I can vouch for you Vic. Definitely stateside. :o

SALN, I have a feeling you put your foot into it this time.

On your screen, what’s the time stamp of my post? My computer time is 14:14 as I click on “Add Reply”

You see, this beautiful forum converts all time stamps to the time zone of the reader’s PC. If Dr. PP says he can vouch for VegasVic, it probably is because as administrator he can dig deeper and see the original time stamp.

Dear vegas vic

it seems that you are in the same boat as my recent post, however i dont think you have any worries staying long term as you are married to a thai national.

People comment on most of the info regarding staying in T long time, which can be found here, BUT is it as clear as that in black & white or is it everywhere you go or depending one what immigration gate, or office you go to, you will get treated differently or told that a DIFFERENT story applies to you?!!?!?!?

After all this is thailand!!

Dear vegas vic

it seems that you are in the same boat as my recent post, however i dont think you have any worries staying long term as you are married to a thai national.

People comment on most of the info regarding staying in T long time, which can be found here, BUT is it as clear as that in black & white or is it everywhere you go or depending one what immigration gate, or office you go to, you will get treated differently or told that a DIFFERENT story applies to you?!!?!?!?

monkleigh: I am slowly getting a clearer picture of this Visa situation, but I have to admitt that it is not quite crystal clear just yet. This last summer the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles set up a satelite office here in Vegas, it is very rarely staffed but I think that I will swing by from time to time and try and get some definative answers on this Visa situation. I will post back if I do. Best of luck to you on your travel to Thailand!

Thanks Dr. Pat! I am guessing this subject has been beaten to death on this thread, but can you tell me if I am sucessful in getting this "married to Thai national" Visa once in Thailand, would I just have to pay the fees and renew it once a year or would I have to go to a counselor office every 90 days to get a stamp. Also I don't know if you are a golfer, if not then perhaps anyone reading this thread could respond if there are any particular golf courses in the Pattaya-Rayong area or the Hua Hin area, that are usually in good shape and offer a reasonable membership or season pass to farangs. As always thanks in advance for any considerate replies.

Thanks Dr. Pat! I am guessing this subject has been beaten to death on this thread, but can you tell me if I am sucessful in getting this "married to Thai national" Visa once in Thailand, would I just have to pay the fees and renew it once a year or would I have to go to a counselor office every 90 days to get a stamp. Also I don't know if you are a golfer, if not then perhaps anyone reading this thread could respond if there are any particular golf courses in the Pattaya-Rayong area or the Hua Hin area, that are usually in good shape and offer a reasonable membership or season pass to farangs. As always thanks in advance for any considerate replies.

You and she present to Immigration once a year with you marriage certificate and a letter from your friendly banker in Thailand evidencing that you have 400,000 bt in your account at each renewal ( or a statement from the US Embassy evidencing your income from abroad ) a combination of income/savings can be used. Simple really. The golf is a mystery to me. :D

You and she present to Immigration once a year with you marriage certificate and a letter from your friendly banker in Thailand evidencing that you have 400,000 bt in your account at each renewal ( or a statement from the US Embassy evidencing your income from abroad ) a combination of income/savings can be used. Simple really. The golf is a mystery to me. :D

Thankyou once again Dr. Pat. A once a year visit sounds good to me!

1900 baht a year extension fee. Has your wife got a Thai passport ?

Yes Dr. Pat, although she has lived in the states for 25 years she has always kept her Thai passport current. I will also add that she recently became an American citizen so she has a U.S. passport as well. We have been told by a number of Thais who have become U.S. citizens that when she goes to Thailand to only show her Thai passport, as showing both passports just confuses the issue.

Dear vegas vic

monkleigh: I am slowly getting a clearer picture of this Visa situation, but I have to admitt that it is not quite crystal clear just yet. This last summer the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles set up a satelite office here in Vegas, it is very rarely staffed but I think that I will swing by from time to time and try and get some definative answers on this Visa situation. I will post back if I do. Best of luck to you on your travel to Thailand!

Unfortunately they would probably be a poor source for information about options inside Thailand as they are only involved with external visa issue.

You really have one obvious choice and that is the extension of stay for support Thai wife with the 400k requirements (unless you wish to invest 3 million or more baht).

After you reach 50 you will also have the retirement option at 800k. Although it may seem obvious that 400k is less than 800k there may be advantages to the latter as you do not have to make more than one visit to immigration each year and if you normally keep a good amount in a bank account here (or have pension) it may make more sense. And you can do the process without bothering the wife. In the recent past retirement change has been grandfather ed but support has not - but that is really an unknown so not a valid reason to change. But it is a more defined process and seems to be easier for immigration.

Dear vegas vic

Unfortunately they would probably be a poor source for information about options inside Thailand as they are only involved with external visa issue.

You really have one obvious choice and that is the extension of stay for support Thai wife with the 400k requirements (unless you wish to invest 3 million or more baht).

After you reach 50 you will also have the retirement option at 800k. Although it may seem obvious that 400k is less than 800k there may be advantages to the latter as you do not have to make more than one visit to immigration each year and if you normally keep a good amount in a bank account here (or have pension) it may make more sense. And you can do the process without bothering the wife. In the recent past retirement change has been grandfather ed but support has not - but that is really an unknown so not a valid reason to change. But it is a more defined process and seems to be easier for immigration.

lopburi: Dr.Pat gave me the impression in an earlier post today that the supporting a Thai wife Visa only required a once a year visit and an annual fee of 1900 bhat. Did I miss something? You seem to indicate in your post that the advantage of the 50 and older Visa is that you only have to go to immigration once a year, inferring that the support of Thai wife Visa requires more regular registration. I would greatly appreciate it if you could clear this up for me. I will have to check back in tomorrow evening, but thanks in advance for your reply!

Support Thai wife extension will require at least two visits and maybe more.  It is not approved on application as is the extension for retirement.

Wow that was a fast reply! Thanks lopburi, I can see that it would be advantageous to just beef up the bank account when I hit the big 50(only 2 years away) and get the 50 and over Visa processed. Have a good evening or I guess over there it would be have a good day!